Buddypress + Upfront - Editing Member, Sites, and Other pages

So I am trying to setup a very basic website that uses buddypress. I'd like to use Spirit, however, the auto-generated pages for Buddypress seem to be the main issue. I cannot figure out how to change the text that appears at the top of the page as seen in this photo. When I click Upfront edit I get a completely different page which is the "blog" template for Spirit.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I have several projects that would really benefit from upfront but buddypress seems to be the limiting factor. The member and site listings look nice with formatting and working with the theme. It just needs the ability to edit the other page elements.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

NICE! I am hoping to update our main teacher website portal with Upfront this summer before they return in the fall. This is the only hangup. A workaround and eventual solution would be awesome! I want to build the main site on a robust and dynamic theme.

• jetmac
    • Recruit

Any updates to this? I'd like to use Upfront for a social system I'm looking at, but I'm having the same issues as kennibc regarding BuddyPress pages.

Actually, Upfront is wonky with ANY auto-generated page, be it buddypress, marketpress, jobs and experts, and many more. There is something at the heart of Upfront that needs to be addressed in this regard, and I strongly suspect it has to do with the concept of the "Default" page template that these plugins and services need in order to create these special pages.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I realize we are only at v3 beta so I am holding off until Upfront can handle dynamic pages better. I hope the devs have a plan to address this issue. It may not be possible with the way Upfront works? I don't know.
    It would be nice to get official comments on this and how Upfront will work with Marketpress, Buddypress and the other plugins that auto-generate dynamic pages.

• Joel
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Time is money here people.
    Same problems go for the classified and directory plugins. Your plugins!

If the "Blog page template" and the other page templates are not templates, it shouldn't be in the template directory and it shouldn't be named 'template', since those are the actual pages.

Btw...I love the potential Upfront has, soo sweet when it works!!

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Time is money but I think with a project of this scope with all the bells and whistles they need time to polish it up. I believe it is still in beta. I am not in a rush. I just need clarification as to how they plan to support buddypress or all the other plugins which use dynamic pages.
    It must be tricky to do so with Upfront!
    I am just hoping a solution exists but is not implemented to handle this and it wasn't overlooked when developing Upfront.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, @Jack Kitterhing is dealing with more complicated issues and his responses are bit slower than regular support but he will be here asap.

We are aware of some issues with the Upfront and our developers are working around the clock to polish it as much as possible.
    Support for virtual pages is on top of our to do list, as I mentioned before, and we are hoping to see permanent fix for this soon.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kennibc, @johnnymestizo, @jetmac.

Attached is a zip folder with 3 files that you'll need to make Upfront work with BuddyPress. Please be aware that these files aren't currently in production, so any update to Upfront they'll be overwritten.

The 3 files are

upfront_compat_buddypress_bp_loader.php which should go in upfront/library/plugins

class_upfront_plugin_compat_server.php which should go in upfront/library/servers

class_upfront_server.php which should go in upfront/library (overwrite the existing class_upfront_sevrer.php

Make sure you clear all caches before and after adding these files, the BuddyPress virtual pages should then correctly display in all Upfront child themes. Any issues, let me know.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

WOW! Going to try it out soon. Thank you. I am in the midst of trying to prepare a school/teacher website and it needs to be ready for the fall. I will give this a shot.

Are we beta-testers on this? Is it planned to make it into production?

Thank you!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kennibc,

Technically you would be a beta tester on it definitely. :slight_smile:

Myself and the lead developer have already tested it quite a lot in development and we found some incompatibilities with other plugins which we fixed, so it should work.

It is planned to make it into production, but that would be at the same time as our other plugin patches. Which will be introduced at the same time. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

I got a blank screen. I am testing on a localhost. I am not using any caching, so not quite sure what cache you wanted me to clear.
    I did notice that that plugins folder didn't exist so I had to create it.

Any ideas as to what went wrong?

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Here is what I got after activating Spirit on the main blog:

Notice: registration.php is deprecated since version 3.1 with no alternative available. This file no longer needs to be included. in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3450

Notice: wp_setcookie is deprecated since version 2.5! Use wp_set_auth_cookie() instead. in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3391

Warning: require_once(servers/class_upfront_button_presets_server.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/upfront/library/class_upfront_server.php on line 62

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'servers/class_upfront_button_presets_server.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/share/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/upfront/library/class_upfront_server.php on line 62

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Interesting.
    I deleted all Upfront and UF templates to get back into my site. I then used the WPMU dashboard to reinstall Upfront and fixer. I didn't add the new files for buddypress yet.
    Instead, I went to a subsite and activated the fixer theme. I could not turn on Upfront until I turned off debugging in wp-config.
    Debugging apparently disables Upfront from turning on the editor. At least on my localhost.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @kennibc,

Hope you're well today, any chance you can get the site live? If you can move the site to hosting, I could take a look for you. :slight_smile:

If that's possible, send through the following and I'd be happy to help.

Can you please send in:

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jack Kitterhing"
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry Jack, I do not have this installed on a live site since it technically isn't supported or functioning. I was on vacation late last week, but I am back now and would like to try and get this functioning on my localhost.

I have Ubuntu 14.04 as my desktop and am running their lamp stack.
    PHP version is 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.11

What should we try next?

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

OK. Made some progress. If you download Upfront from the WPMYDev Dashboard you must blend that download with the BETA version found on the Upfront support forum V3 beta.

Specifically the three items identified in the error message: Accordian folder in elements, buttons, and tabs. I dropped in the V3 beta folders and it seems to load the page now.

I will dig a little deeper.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

So here is what I did. I setup wordpress and buddypress. Then I installed WPMU Dashboard. I installed the Spirit theme which installed upfront.
    I took the files included to fix the Buddypress issue and copied them into the places specified.
    On the main site I activated the theme and then got a blank screen which turns out to be an issue with Accordian, buttons, and Tabs.
    I went to the Upfront Forum and downloaded the V3 Beta of Upfront from January 01-07. There were some files in Upfront/library/servers for accordian,tabs, and buttons. I added those into the localhost upfront folder. Then I got a new error message saying those three files were already declared in elements. So I took the V3 Beta folders for tabs, accordion, and buttons from elements and dropped them into the localhost upfront folders.

I am not quite sure why I had to do this. I suppose all the testing and development for the plugin is happening at many different levels and the production version is different from the V3 Beta.

I basically just kept replacing files that showed up in the error messages with the V3 Beta files. In some instances the files didn't exist and in another they had to be replaced completely.

Attached is the Upfront folder on my localhost which works without errors.

I am wondering if anyone else had this problem of if it just worked for them?

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

So I spent some time playing with the Buddypress Integration with Upfront and I am truly impressed!!! THIS IS AWESOME. I went to the member listing page and added a few images and text boxes. Then I clicked on a member profile and to my surprise I could edit that page too! Same with the Create a Site page as well. Seems that whatever page you are on you can add widgets, images, videos, etc!

Hats off to the developers. This is a new level of creativity. You guys are onto something great here with Upfront and the integrations.

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

FYI , I did find one issue. The widget for displaying the latest sitewide posts for Buddypress ended up causing the Upfront Editor to not load properly. I was using Panino theme and I added that widget to the frontpage replacing the Our Story section text. It just won't load the editor on the frontpage now. I assume this is why it isn't in the release yet.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi @kennibc,

Thanks for providing all that info, that's some useful info right there, and to show appreciation for your effort I'm sending you some thank you points :slight_smile:

The widget for displaying the latest sitewide posts for Buddypress ended up causing the Upfront Editor to not load properly.

Are you referring to Sitewide Notices widget or something else?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Kenni,

Oh I see what you mean now, when you activate Site Tracking option in network settings the widget is then visible, and only on main site, that's why I had troubles finding it :slight_smile:

I was able to test it now and the same thing happens on my installation so I'm flagging this for developers as well.

Nice find there! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello kennibc,

I hope you're having a nice day!

Thee themes are all child themes of Upfront, as you most likely already know so the compatibility is mostly an Upfront-related issue. From what I know, theme developers are working constantly on improving this and making the entire "ecosystem" more cross-compatible and universal. However, this requires a lot of coding and testing so I'm not able to give you any ETA on particular features.

I'm pretty sure though, that each update will bring significant improvements :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

• kennibc
    • The Crimson Coder

So I am curious if there is any movement on the Buddypress compatibility? Is 2016 going to see some initial steps in compatibility?

Am I correct in saying we can still use the upfront child themes in a buddypress setup, but we just cannot use these themes on the main buddypress site due to the way buddypress builds the pages?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi kennibc,

We are currently preparing Upfront 1.0 for release however compatibility with BuddyPress will unfortunately not be included in this release as some other fixes took priority.

Am I correct in saying we can still use the upfront child themes in a buddypress setup, but we just cannot use these themes on the main buddypress site due to the way buddypress builds the pages?

I'm not sure I completely understand this questions, is this part supposed to be "Am I correct in saying we can still use the upfront child themes in a MULTISITE setup"?
    If that's the case then yes, you can use Upfront child themes on your other sites in network and then use different BuddyPress supported theme on your main buddypress site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey guys,

We experienced some issues with UF 1.0 after the initial release so we pulled the update back but it should be fixed and released again really soon.

Please note that Jack's solution is not tested with version 1.0

However we are not giving up on BP integration and hopefully this will get included in near future.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.