BuddyPress upgrades with Multi-DB

Regarding Comment:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/issue-related-to-wpmu-on-multi-db#post-20331

Has anyone had experience with upgrading to BP 1.2 with multiDB installed?

I'm getting the following in my logs:
WordPress database error: [Table 'wp_bp_groups_members' already exists]
CREATE TABLE wp_bp_groups_members (....

I think I'm getting one for every table it tries to update.

Does anyone have suggestions for doing the upgrade?

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

Also, when upgrading from WPMU 2.8 to 2.9.1.1 I get errors in the logs about wp_1_ tables, as it tries to create the tables again, probably same problem as above.

Is this normal? I seem to not have any issues with the upgrade, maybe it upgrades the blogs by manual correctly visit, but I haven't exactly tested all the functions of WP either.....

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

Check it out.... I've managed to successfully upgrade WPMU and BuddyPress!

It's not the most elegant of solutions, but it works AND it resolved an issue of a bad upgrade from BP 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 due to MultiDB as well.

I'd seriously recommend backing up and also not allowing people to visit the WP site (add a redirect in .htaccess for all IPs except you).

Here's the instructions necessary to update your WPMU 2.8 > 2.9.1.1 and BP 1.1.3 > 1.2

- Firstly, make sure you have the newest MultiDB installed.
    - Upgrade WPMU
    - Add bp_activity and bp_activity_meta to your db-config.php global tables
    - Copy your global database tables and move them over into the same table you have your main blog (wp_1_* tables). It's easiest if you have made your main blog have it's own database, but not mandatory.
    - Rename /wp-content/db.php to something else (e.g. db.phpx)
    - Ensure your wpconfig.php file has the right db connection details to point to your main blog database
    - Deactivate BP and all other BP dependant plugins
    - Delete your old BP default themes (as per BP.org upgrade instructions)
    - Update BP
    - Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I had to do as instructed on http://buddypress.org/forums/topic/not-being-able-to-post-any-updates?replies=3#post-37840
    - Copy the global tables back to your global database (drop all tables first, then insert copied tables)
    - Remove the tables from the main blog db
    - Activate BP

Now my BP is working better than ever (so far)!

Hope this helps someone. I advise when upgrading any plugins with multiDB you do your due dilligence on what tables it creates, and keep an eye on the error logs for SQL errors.

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

By the way, I've come to the conclusion that keeping my primary blog in the global table saves a few steps in the above method. This way upgrading from 1.2. to 1.2.1 was even easier.

I've not done this to my live site though, and I was just wondering if there were any known adverse effects to making blog 1 a vip blog that's located in the global database?

• argh2xxx
    • The Incredible Code Injector

promis, did you upgrade to bp 1.2.1 yet? Your bp 1.2.1 installation has private message component working OK? Regard to your activity problem, I had exact problem and following this post of your was a big help in fixing it. It's just that I have broken private message component as private message could not be sent successfully. Wonder has you experienced the same, if yes, and how you fix it? Thanks...

• Marcus
    • Flash Drive

@argh2xxx

Sorry for the delay, gotta find a way of getting notifications sent to me upon new posts, any recommendations?

Yes, I upgraded to 1.2.1 with no problems (apart from the ones mentioned before).

I advise you try sending a message and check out your php error log. Also, maybe try disabling MySQL strict mode, as that causes all sorts of problems with BP.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.