Buddypress Vs. WPMUDev Premium Plugins

I have been looking through the list of plugins on this site, preparing for a new website that I am about to design, and I was curious about a few things. I have used Buddypress before, and to be honest, I am not particularly fond of it. I had many problems with functionality, and styling. That being said, I have noticed that WPMUDev has a bunch of plugins that seem to replace the need for Buddypress completely. Is this statement accurate, or would I be hard pressed to find another solution that does what Buddypress does?

The new site I am about to design is a landlord association website. It will need a member area and a public area. Members will have access to exclusive content, have the ability to communicate with the owner of the website through a more robust system than email. I will also need the ability to have members pay the owner of the website for various things (rent, services, etc.) ... I would like the website owner to have control over this area, and be able to add and/or remove payable items as needed. Members will also have an area to share important documents with the owner of the website.

Is all of this possible without having to use Buddypress? I feel like a combination of WPMUDev premium plugins can get the job done. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @mediastead

And thank you for the great question!

It does sound like that could be created without BuddyPress, you can use the membership plugin
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/
    To handle the public and private areas and if wanted charge the users for membership, If you wanted users to be able to message each other, if you go with WordPress multisite you could use the messaging plugin to give a better system than email
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/messaging/
    I'm not too sure on how users could share the documents with the owner of the website, I'll look into it! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• mediastead
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks @coding-monkey! Can the messaging plugin be used without having a multisite install?

Also, I understand that the membership plugin can be used with or without charging for it, but what about internally accepting payments from members for things other than membership?

Thanks!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @mediastead

@coding-monkey has given some great advice there!

I think one of the biggest hurdles is gonna be this:

I will also need the ability to have members pay the owner of the website for various things (rent, services, etc.) ... I would like the website owner to have control over this area, and be able to add and/or remove payable items as needed.

Accepting payments on-site is going to require a secure payment gateway (SSL enabled) and/or that the site users can use PayPal.

If the rent amounts are fixed, perhaps MarketPress might be an option. A bit of fiddling with PoEdit to create a language file more adapted to the context would be required though.

• mediastead
    • The Crimson Coder

Thank you again for the feedback.

I was thinking the payment section would be difficult. There are also issues because the payment section should be a part of a member's profile, and each payment section has to be specific to the member that is logged in. Does MarketPress interface with membership? If not, perhaps that would be a cool enhancement to consider for future versions. In the mean time, I will have to figure out how to make this happen, and maybe it is to be reserved for a second phase (when the client has a bigger budget!). It is good to start thinking ahead now though.

I'll keep a look out for additional replies to this post.

Thanks again!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @mediastead

I'm doing a bit of housekeeping by going through some older threads, and I noticed this one is still open.

Just to get it out of our active ticket system, I'm going to mark it resolved.

But if you still need assistance on this issue, please don't hesitate to re-open it by checking the "Mark as not resolved" box below.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.