BuddyPress Widgets newest, active, and popular links not working.

On by BuddyPress site, godsync.com/blog, the BuddyPress widget Active, Newest, and Popular links aren't working. I think the issue lies in my theme. I deactivated all my plugins and still had the issue, and switching to the WordPress default theme fixed it. When those links are clicked, instead of updating the widget, it just redirects the whole browser to the BuddyPress members page. I even deactivated the "Link widget title to Groups directory" option in the widget, and it still didn't fix it. I've granted WPMU access to the site. If you need to create a user account to test it, go for it.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Godsync,

It definitely looks to be a theme issue, I tested it on my site with the default 2014 theme and it worked as expected. Can you try temporarily swapping to the default 2014 theme just to confirm that it is? :slight_smile:

If it is then can you send your FTP and WP login information to us so we can take a closer look at the theme and files if needed.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Look forward to hearing back Godsync!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, GodSync!

Tyler was hoping to take a look at your theme files here, so we could see if there's an easy fix to getting this widget working properly again.

However, we obviously don't want you to do anything you're uncomfortable with, either.

Theme conflicts usually boil down to one of a few things:
    1. Scripts that load in the wrong order.
    2. Scripts that conflict with other scripts.
    3. Elements, like shortcodes, sharing the same name.
    4. Code that doesn't necessarily follow WordPress best practices for theme development.

These can be a little tricky to troubleshoot, especially without the code in front of us, but let's try a few things.

1. Does your theme come with addons, like sliders, shortcodes, fancy widgets, or other such things? If so, and it's possible, try disabling the extra elements and see if that fixes it.

2. Right click your site's home page while using Chrome, and select "Inspect Element." If there are any javascript errors, they'll show up in the bottom window of the dev panel, in red text. Copy those here.

3. You might also find out a clue or two by using WP_DEBUG. https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/debugging-wordpress-how-to-use-wp_debug/

Let me know if any of these three can help sort out which part of the theme is interfering with the widget.

Thanks for your questions!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.