BuddyPress With Multisite Profiles and Login

I have been playing around with a BuddyPress + Multisite installation and I have a couple of questions.

1. If I activate it on a site by site basis does that mean that general users(non-prosite users) can sign up on a site by site basis? Or does all the user registration still have to go through the main site (domain.com)?

The issue that I am thinking of is that I want each sub-site to be able to grow their reader/user base. Meaning users can login on the site they are visiting instead of having to login through domain.com and get re-directed to the dashboard THEN go to their desired site.

I just feel that having everyones profile on the main site will confuse a lot of the readers/users that are visiting the blogs, since most of them will be domain mapped and appear to be an independent site.

The main site will be where I sell people on the pro-site so I don't really want my pro-site users to have their readers directed to the main site to register/login. Would using a sub site for the community site be a better idea you think? Like community.domain.com - if that's possible (network activated).

Hopefully that all makes sense!

Also, what do you think is the most common setup for BuddyPress + ProSites + Multisite?

• Patrick

Hi there @TyePo

I hope you are having a great day!

1) Yes, regardless of the site the user wants to register on, they will be directed to the main site's registration page. However, if the user starts at a sub-site then does the register process, they will be added to the main site AND the sub-site. Seems for whatever reason and might be legacy from the MU days. But all users are added to the main site, though there are plugins to avert this.

2) You can set any sub-site in your network to be the BuddyPress root. Simply add the following constant to your wp-config.php file, and change the number to the ID of the sub-site you want to use:
    define('BP_ROOT_BLOG', 1);

If you want to go the other way and enable BuddyPress features on every sub-site in your network, add the following instead:
    define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

With the above constant active, BuddyPress content will be displayable on any site in your network, and BP links will always point to the current site Thus,
    on example.com/, profile links will point to example.com/members/username
    on subsite.example.com/, profile links will point to subsite.example.com/members/username/
    on example.com/subsite/, profile links will point to example.com/subsite/members/username/
    and so forth.

More on the above constants can be found here:
    http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/setting-up-a-new-installation/install-buddypress-on-a-secondary-blog/
    http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

As for setting up BuddyPress on a multisite with Pro Sites, the important thing to remember is that BuddyPress has the built-in feature of enabling users to create sites in the network.

When both plugins are active however, Pro Sites knows this and will intervene when a user creates a site.

• Tyler Postle

@Patrick Cohen Thanks so much for the thorough explanation! That's perfect. I checked out the links as well.

1) I'm wondering, with the BP Multiblog constant ENABLED - say I'm a user of subsite.domain.com and I'm also a user of domain.com. Will my profile show on both sites? ie.subsite.domain.com/members/tyepo AND domain.com/members/tyepo?

2) It is my understanding that the activity page will show the exact same content on every site with BP multiblog enabled. That correct? subsite.domain.com/activity and domain.com/activity will both be the same content?

I basically want it to be as smooth and simple as possible for the prosite owners and the users. I really like the idea of everyone (prosite owners + readers) having their own profile and being able to interact. I'm still fairly new to multisite and buddypress so I really appreciate all your help Patrick!

• Patrick

Hi again @TyePo

Yep, when BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG is defined in wp-config, every sub-site in the network can display BuddyPress user profiles (and all the other goodies that come with BP) on each site.

And yes, the content will be identical on every sub-site, and all URLs/links will automatically adjust for each sub-site.

It's important to note however that BuddyPress must be either network-activated, or activated only on one site in the network. It cannot be activated only on a selection of sub-sites in the network.

If you use the BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG constant but do not want BP stuff on a specific site(s), simply do not include links to those pages in your navigation. While that will effectively hide everything from the casual user, a savvy surfer would still be able to access those pages by entering the appropriately formatted URL in their browser.

• Patrick

Hi again @TyePo

Sorry for the delay here; had some family issues to deal with this last week.

BuddyPress can be installed on your site at any time.

However, getting everything set up can be a bit daunting the first time you install it. I would recommend having a separate development site set up to install it before deploying it on your live site.

That way, you can play around with it, experiment, see how it fits with the overall look & feel of your site design, tweak some stuff, etc. Once you're satisfied with how it all fits together, reproduce that setup on your live site.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.