BuddyPress/Multisite - Set BP Profile as Home Page of new site

Here is what we want to do.

- Create a multisite installation (completed)

- Users register as new BuddyPress members for the Primary site (handmade2trade.com)

- During new member registratio, users also create a new site (example: handmade2trade.com/divatest)

- New site is exact copy of handmade2trade.com (Basic Multisite installation)

Issues:

- The Edublogs theme is not being applied to new sites.
-unable to log into new site to apply theme/delete unwanted pages
-Plugins are not active on new site
- Need direction on how to set the BuddyPress Member Profile as the Home page for each new site. New members currently return to handmade2trade.com/register or handmade2trade.com/members/new site name

Details:
This is a multisite installation.
We are using the EduBlogs Theme.
We are using the child theme setup.

Thank you for assistance.

• Dharmendra

Hello Renee,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

You can use our Default Theme plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/default-theme/
    Please refer https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/default-theme/#usage

You may also like https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/ to let you use existing sites to create a catalog of templates that dramatically improves site creation on your WordPress Multisite network for both you and your users.

Please verify that the user is already added to the site that you are trying to log in.

Have you tried network activating the plugin as described here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/network-enabling-regular-plugins/
    Are you facing this issue for any specific plugin?

Need direction on how to set the BuddyPress Member Profile as the Home page for each new site. New members currently return to handmade2trade.com/register or handmade2trade.com/members/new site name

Could you please go through https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-how-to-set-buddypress-profiles-as-the-hompepage-for-logged-in-users/
    and let me know if you face any issue.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers!

• Renee

First - Thank you for your detailed response.

I've addressed your bullets below.

I've had both Plugins ready to go, but was concerned that the BuddyPress setup was not working as we wanted. To clarify, even though the Edublogs theme is network activated, it is not being applied because we have not set up one of the Plugins you mention.

You can use our Default Theme plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/default-theme/

Please refer https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/default-theme/#usage
    Also, you may also like https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/ to let you use existing sites to create a catalog of templates that dramatically improves site creation on your WordPress Multisite network for both you and your users.
    Please verify that the user is already added to the site that you are trying to log in.

yes, the user is added and we are trying to log in from the activation link included in the final email. We will try again with a new user/new site once we complete the BuddyPress setup steps in the link you provided below.

Have you tried network activating the plugin as described here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/network-enabling-regular-plugins/
    Are you facing this issue for any specific plugin?

yes, all Plugins were network activated. Not facing the issue with any specific plugin, but will revisit the issue after trying the suggested new blog theme Plugins you suggested.

Need direction on how to set the BuddyPress Member Profile as the Home page for each new site. New members currently return to handmade2trade.com/register or handmade2trade.com/members/new site name
    Could you please go through https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-how-to-set-buddypress-profiles-as-the-hompepage-for-logged-in-users/
    and let me know if you are facing any issue.

we did this initially but will try again after implementing your other suggestions. Thank you for your help. I suspect this is a case of missing something small. I will try your suggestions and get back with you. You are awesome as always! Renée

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.
    Cheers!

• Renee

Thank you for your response.

We made all of the suggested changes. Unfortunately, we have a new issue. Users are no longer able to create a new blog from the primary site's Register page.

http://handmade2trade.com

The /register page loops and never completes the process. This was not a problem yesterday.

As the changes you suggested were minor, and there were not many changes on settings side, I do not see where the problem is originating.

Thanks in advance!

• Renee

Bump:

Thank you for your response.

We made all of the suggested changes. Unfortunately, we have a new issue. Users are no longer able to create a new blog from the primary site's Register page.

http://handmade2trade.com

The /register page loops and never completes the process. This was not a problem yesterday.

As the changes you suggested were minor, and there were not many changes on settings side, I do not see where the problem is originating.

Thanks in advance!

• Renee

It does.

I believe that change was made after the initial suggestions.

We have additional questions. Should we continue with this thread as they are related to this installation or create a new thread?

For example:

We have scoured the archives, BuddyPress codex, WP Codex, etc for suggestions on how to accomplish the following. Read nearly every "create your own etsy", BuddyPress and ECommerce parts of there. We need clarification on which of the suggested solutions would be best to fulfill our needs.

1. Create a membership based community
    2. Each member has an extended profile describing who, what and why they do what they do. (BuddyPress)
    3. Members can create and post items they would like to trade (portfolio)
    4. The "Portfolio" appears as a section of the member/BuddyPress profile
    5. Trades can only take place between vetted members

The were two suggestions that kept appearing across the many articles researched.

1. Create a multisite installation
    2. Install BuddyPress on primary installation
    3. Newly registered members create a BuddyPress extended profile
    4. Network activate MarketPress to control trades

OR

1. Create a multisite installation
    2. Install BuddyPress on primary installation
    3. Newly registered members create a BuddyPress extended profile
    4. Newly registered members create a new blog
    5. Network activate MarketPress to control trades

As you can see, the primary difference between the two is how to control/provide the option for members to trade within the community.

We are not collecting any revenue on each trade. However, members would need the ability to process shipping.

Is an e-commerce solution needed?
    Are individual blogs needed? Or, could this all be controlled from the main installation using BuddyPress only?

Thank you, once again, for any advice you can offer.

• aristath

Hello there @Renee, I hope you're well today!

Is an e-commerce solution needed?

Yes, it's needed. e-commerce like MarketPress is the only way you can have shipping etc.

Are individual blogs needed? Or, could this all be controlled from the main installation using BuddyPress only?

On MarketPress individual blogs are necessary. Think of it like "spots" on a market. You can't sell your products on a market unless you have a bench/spot that's yours so that you can display your products there.

I hope that helps!

Cheers.
    Ari.

• Renee

Thanks Ari - a few more questions.

I will read the MarketPress manual after I send this message.

Primary site = membership site
    Users register to become members using BuddyPress
    A BuddyPress Profile is created on Primary site upon registration
    A New Blog Is created as a sub of primary site - mysite.com/your-site
    The New Blog Is based off template using WPMU plugin
    MarketPress is network activated

Primary home page (visitor) = sales style page, slider, gallery of trades pulled from member blogs, call to visitors to "Register"

Primary home page (member) = "welcome back", log into primary site, redirected to BuddyPress profile, gallery of items available to trade.

Can we use MarketPress shortcodes to post "latest offers" on the BudyPress profile page? Or home page of primary site? For example, a member performs a search from the primary site, clicks on listing and is taken to a specific blog owners product/trade page. Member makes an offer and is returned to their profile on the primary site.

Can we control the number of items posted? Base membership levels on the number of taxes one can pay at s sluPl lb

Do we need to implement Pro Sites or Membership?

Do you have any suggestions for tracking trades?

Similar to the excellent system found on WPMU.

I apologize for typos, missed text, etc, I am on my tablet.

Thanks again.

Thanks again in advance.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Renee,

Hope you're well today. :slight_smile:

Can we use MarketPress shortcodes to post "latest offers" on the BudyPress profile page? Or home page of primary site? For example, a member performs a search from the primary site, clicks on listing and is taken to a specific blog owners product/trade page. Member makes an offer and is returned to their profile on the primary site.

You can use the MarketPress shortcodes on the home page of the site/sites, but not the BuddyPress profile page, that wouldn't work. But you could add a additional tab and page to BuddyPress as a latest offers if that would work?

Can we control the number of items posted? Base membership levels on the number of taxes one can pay at s sluPl lb

The number of items posted by a site/user? That should be possible with a plugin like this https://wordpress.org/plugins/bainternet-posts-creation-limits/ :slight_smile:

Do we need to implement Pro Sites or Membership?

You'd only need Pro sites, if you want to charge for sites, have possible upgrades or restrict plugin usage to certain Pro site levels.

Membership would only be required if you want to protect pages from being viewed by everyone.

Do you have any suggestions for tracking trades?

For tracking the sales/trades on each site and reporting them back to the network admin? :slight_smile:

Please advise.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Renee

Hi Jack!

Thank you for responding. I don't know if I thanked you properly last time, but you were fabulous as always.

We've listed our answers and even more questions below.

"You can use the MarketPress shortcodes on the home page of the site/sites, but not the BuddyPress profile page, that wouldn't work. But you could add a additional tab and page to BuddyPress as a latest offers if that would work?"

We are using the BP Profile As Homepage plugin. Does this make a difference? With this setup, are we able to post shortcodes of available items if the Profile is set as the home page?

Also, please clarify "tab". Is this the same section as "Activity" "Profile" "Notifications"?

"For tracking the sales/trades on each site and reporting them back to the network admin? :slight_smile:"

Correct. We would like the numbers sent back to admin and we would like to have the ability to post the numbers throughout the sites as an incentive.

We would like to implement a system similar to WPMU. We want to encourage folks to "rate" their trade, but understand time is limited and we need to make it as easy as possible.

I am ashamed to ask the next question, but my brain is flooded at the moment and I cannot locate the correct section. I am comfortable customizing the theme, but I feel as though I am missing a section in the editor/theme options.

Edu Child Theme - We would like to change the built in bullets that appear on the home page. We know how to change the bullets in Theme Options. We would like to add rotating banners to this section. Is there a edit section addressing changing the home page content? We don't want to reinvent the wheel. We can edit the template files if needed, but want to know if there is an easier way to access that section of the theme."

Is there a plugin that would allow members to upload "products" from the front end? I've read up on a few options, but prefer your expertise on this manner.

I think that is all for now. We are going to setup MarketPress and will likely have more questions.

Thank you in advance - you are awesome as always.

Renée

• aristath

We are using the BP Profile As Homepage plugin. Does this make a difference? With this setup, are we able to post shortcodes of available items if the Profile is set as the home page?

Yes, I'm afraid that makes a lot of difference!
    With that plugin, the homepage is "replaced" by the BP profile and you can't have shortcodes on a profile page (Unless of course if you custom-code these in the BuddyPress template files).

Also, please clarify "tab". Is this the same section as "Activity" "Profile" "Notifications"?

Yes.

On the "rating" question, I'm afraid this will probably require a lot of custom coding... I would advise you to simply create a new job listing on our Jobs Board on https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/ so that a skilled developer can do that for you.

Edu Child Theme - We would like to change the built in bullets that appear on the home page. We know how to change the bullets in Theme Options. We would like to add rotating banners to this section. Is there a edit section addressing changing the home page content? We don't want to reinvent the wheel. We can edit the template files if needed, but want to know if there is an easier way to access that section of the theme."

I'm afraid there's no easy way to do this... custom-coding it in the theme files is the only way to accomplish this.

Is there a plugin that would allow members to upload "products" from the front end? I've read up on a few options, but prefer your expertise on this manner.

There used to be a 3rd party plugin that was doing this: http://mp-frontend.info/
    I haven't tested it in more than a year though so I don't know if it has been updated recently to accomodate for recent changes in WordPress core and MarketPress... It used to work fine about a year ago.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Renee

"I'm afraid there's no easy way to do this... custom-coding it in the theme files is the only way to accomplish this."

Is there a theme in the WPMU collection that would better serve our needs? Or do all require customization in the theme files? As is always the case, we are dealing with a fairly right schedule and would like to stay within that schedule.

Would we be better served to take Buddy Press out of the equation? Can our goals be accomplished with the Membership plugin? I know it works in a different way, but we could protect pages based on Pro Site level and cine at it from that direction.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Renee,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions. :slight_smile:

Is there a theme in the WPMU collection that would better serve our needs? Or do all require customization in the theme files? As is always the case, we are dealing with a fairly right schedule and would like to stay within that schedule.

Any theme you use would require that sort of editing, mostly because any changes made would need to be in a child theme so the edits aren't lost on update. :slight_smile:

Would we be better served to take Buddy Press out of the equation? Can our goals be accomplished with the Membership plugin? I know it works in a different way, but we could protect pages based on Pro Site level and cine at it from that direction.

I'd recommend sticking with BuddyPress, or you can use Membership, but it would have to be on a sub site, as if Pro sites and Membership are network activated they conflict, membership can't be used on the main site with Pro sites, only on a sub site.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Renee

Created a Multisite.
    We can create a new subdirectory.

The process is completed successfully. The user receives the activation emails etc.

However, when you click the admin links in the activation emails, you receive a Internal Server Error.

http://handmade2trade.com/divatest7/

The page loads but the default theme is not applied.

The page returns the error.

We have not encountered this with other multisites.

Wildcard is enabled - although we are using a subdirecty setup.

This is a new issue. We've deactivated non-essential plugins.

Thoughts?

• Renee

Deactivated the majority of the plugins. Removed BuddyPress and associated plugins.

Tried to create site using the /signup.php multisite registration.

Received the same errors.

This was working yesterday and we cannot determine what changed.

Nothing shows in the host error logs.

Need direction on what to do next - short of starting over from scratch using subdomains.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Renee

Tyler - I deactivated the plugin as directed. There was no change.

The Deafault Theme is not applying the selected theme. (We've tried several.)

http://www.handmade2trade.com/divatest7

The user cannot log into the admin side.

Handamade2trade.com/divatest7/wp-login.php

As this was working yesterday, we can only determine the issue was caused by another plugin. We've created other multisites with the same plugin sets with no issues. We try to keep them all in the WPMU "family" in order to avoid these goes of conflicts.

We are bumping up against deadlines with this new issue preventing us from moving to the next stage.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Renee

Changed themes on the main site and changed the Default Theme setting to WP 2013, 2014 etc.

No luck.

Completely removed BuddyPress from the equation. We can create a new blog from the multisite signup page but run into the same issue upon activation. No theme applied to new blog and cannot access the login page.

If this cannot be resolved and the solution is to start from scratch, we need to know that today.

We have several multisites running successfully and cannot determine the issue. The majority of the other installations are setup using subdomains versus subdirectories. Several are also using the same primary theme, so it does not appear to be a theme issue.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Renee,

Hope you are well today!

That could definitely be the issue right there. I believe using an addon domain is possible but it can be problematic and may be hard to track down where the problems occurred at. This can become especially problematic down the road when you have several sites on your multisite - then problems can start effecting them leading to upset customers.

What is your current status on the situation? It might be wise to switch to a primary domain installation if possible.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Renee

Hi Tyler -

Glad my brain finally checked in...

I opened a new package and setup a new primary domain.

I was able to complete the multisite installation without any problems.

I used the multisite signup page to create a new blog and apply the Default Theme. Success.

The next step will be to install BuddyPress and circle back to the original questions/issues of this thread.

I will address those questions today.

Hopefully we can close this out today.

Thanks again for your continued help and support.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.