BuddyPress+Supporter+no blog==Nice Try

Am giving supporter a test drive again and running into the same old bogie-men. I won't flog the multiple-level horse, as it's good and flogged already.

However, here's an interesting permutation:

User signs up for account, opts for "no blog." Just wants luxuriate in the membership happiness of being able to have groups and forums within BuddyPress. Except clicking on the "This feature is limited to supporters only. Click here to find out how to become a supporter." link when trying to create a group yields the skeleton of a blog dashboard (which this hypothetical user, remember, doesn't have) and the message "Nice Try."

Seems that if a user doesn't have a blog, there ought to be a way to have them be a supporter just to enjoy the BuddyPress features.

Thoughts?

Mason

Hiya mycroft,

I won't flog the multiple-level horse, as it's good and flogged already.

Many thanks. Let's let that horse RIP for the moment shall we? ;D

You're issue is an interesting one and I'm actually not able to replicate it. I created a user through BuddyPress register page, didn't opt for a blog, logged in and was able to create a new group.

It is a multi-site installation right? Just checking.
    Do you have BuddyPress installed on your main WordPress site?
    If not, is it connected to a site that has Supporter status?
    What optional parts of Supporter do you have running (plugin, quota, etc)?
    What theme are you running?

I'm not sure what would be causing it as you shouldn't need to even go to the admin area to create a group. I never even saw a supporter screen during my testing.

A bit more info and we'll get there. Thanks!

mycroft

I wasn't clear--let me try again.

Yes, it's a multisite install w/BuddyPress installed. I have the Supporter plugin successfully installed and group creation within BuddyPress restricted via the plugin to paying members only. The issue is thus: The hypothetical user opts for a *free*, no-blog, non-supporter account on registration. He then discovers, "Hey, I can't create a group because I'm a non-paying member" from the little blurb that the Supporter plugin shows when group creation is attempted ("This feature is limited to supporters only. Click here to find out how to become a supporter.")

However, when he clicks the "Click here to find out how to become a supporter" link--which always takes a user to the dashboard Supporter purchase area--he gets the "Nice Try." message because he doesn't actually *have* a blog dashboard, because he doesn't have a blog.

Therein lies the issue--is there a way for users who *don't* have a blog to become supporters to gain the extra fuctionality within BuddyPress? If so, how? If not, I would think there should be a way to make that happen via a shortcode registration page that *isn't* in the blog dashboard.