Bug in User Synchronization. Avatars not copied from Master to Slave.

Hey developers,

More than a year ago I've requested to fix a bug in User Synchronization (see your mailbox). Still no fix. :slight_frown:

The bug: Avatars are not copied from Master to Slave site(s).

The synchronization process went smoothly: no problems. I've checked
the user details at the Master and Slave sites: all credentials were
copied from Master to Slave...... except for the avatars. These were
not copied from the Master to the Slave sites.

I hope you guys had enough time - after one year :slight_smile: - to find the appropriate solution?
Please fix this asap.

Kookidooki

• aristath

Hello there @Kookidooki, I hope you're well today!

What avatars do you want to copy?
    Do you mean the default WordPress avatars that use gravatar?
    Or are you referring to avatars uploaded by our avatars plugin?

If you mean default avatars, then they should already be in there.
    If you mean custom avatars uploaded by your users I'm afraid this is not possible.
    The User Synchronization plugin syncs database entries and there is no way to make it grab files uploaded to the master site and then copy these files to the slave site(s).

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Kookidooki

Hello Ari,

Thank for your reply.

I've a WP and MUltiuser wordpress (Buddypress) site. The WP-site is the master and the Buddypress site is the slave.

I'm also using social login plugin: WP Social Login.

When I login with i.e. my LinkedIn profile, it grabs and copies my profile Avatar from LinkedIn to the WP- master site and at the same time I see it's synchronizing with the Buddypress without sharing /copying the avatar to my Buddypress profile. What I want is grabbing / copying avatar from LinkedIn > Master > Slave.

Why doesn't copy the avatar from the master. to the slave? Can you make that happen?

Kookidooki.

• aristath

@Kookidooki ok... now I'm starting to understand what you want to do.
    When a user registers on your site using a social network, their avatar is NOT copied over to your site.
    Instead, the application you've created on facebook for example to authorize the login allows your site to use the avatar that your users have on their social network.

The "slave" site however does not have that permission, so it can't get the avatar your users have on their social networks. Applications on social networks are site-specific and are not global, so they will only work on your master site.

I hope that clarifies it...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Kookidooki

@Ari,

Okay the problem is located in the authorization of the slave site.

Is there a way to bypass this? What I mean is the following.

When I login with the social login plugin on my WP-site (=Master) using my i.e. LinkedIn credentials it grabs / copies my LinkedIn avatar and copies it to my master profile. This copied avatar must be stored somewhere within the Master. > But now let the Slave site grab / copy this avatar from the Master to the user's profile located at the Slave. Is that possible?

• aristath

When I login with the social login plugin on my WP-site (=Master) using my i.e. LinkedIn credentials it grabs / copies my LinkedIn avatar and copies it to my master profile. This copied avatar must be stored somewhere within the Master. > But now let the Slave site grab / copy this avatar from the Master to the user's profile located at the Slave. Is that possible?

The problem lies right there... The avatar is NOT copied in any way to your master site.

The avatar exists in linkedin, and the social login plugin uses the authorization it has to get the url of the avatar the user has on their linkedin profile.

So no files are stored in the master site at all! Just an authorization request to get the avatar. That's why when a user changes their avatar image on linkedin, the avatar on the master site is automatically "updated" to reflect the changes on their profile.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.