Bug: Lower than Administrator can't post when set to registered members only

Not sure if it's my set up, usually is, or the plugin but if you try and comment as a user with level lower than administrator the comment doesn't appear on the blog or in the comments area to moderate. It does however store the comment, as if you change the privacy level to something such as blocking search engines they all appear. It can take 10-15 minutes for the email to come through and comment to show after changing privacy settings though.

Cheers,
Ed

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ed,

After some thought about this anomaly and what a possible cure may be, it is my opinion that something like the Advanced Access Manager plugin might be just the cure.

My thought is to use this plugin to assign the permissions of doing things how you desire and they will hopefully override what is now preventing this from happening.

Please advise on if this works for you if you try it out.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Ed

I'm assuming this is on Primary Blogger? If so, we haven't had any reports of a problem like this with the Privacy plugin. Is the problem only occurring on private blogs? Are you using any plugins associated with comments?

Thanks

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• PrimaryT
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Sue,

That's correct. The only plugin we're using on this particular blog is Defensio for spam, nothing network activated would mess with it. It's mainly WPMUDev stuff that's network activated.

It only happens on blogs set to be accessible by registered users only, no other setting does this.

Cheers,

Ed

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Ed

I've done some testing on our sites so that I could definitely confirm we aren't experiencing this issue with the Privacy plugin.

Here's what I did just to confirm I'm replicating the scenario you are experiencing on your network (always best to check in case I'm not replicating the same scenario). Changed privacy to " Only registered users of this blogs can have access - anyone found under Users > All Users can have access. Gone to blog URL in another web browser, logged in as user (role either subscriber or contributor) and then added a comment to any post. When I check the admin area the comment is immediately added and I'm sent the comment notification.

I've checked it using a blog on Edublogs.org, a Edublogs Campus blog and one of my Multisite installs.

I also installed our moderation plugin on my multisite install and network activated since we don't use it on our installs and it looks like you might on Primary Blogger? Comments posted as expected.

Are all the blogs affected using Defensio for spam? Are you able to deactivate on an affected blog to see if this makes any difference?

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• PrimaryT
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I've disabled it and gone back to using the "More Privacy Options" plugin and it appears to be accepting comments etc. Willing to test if anyone wants to take a look.

Defensio is network enabled, not really an option to remove it either - works too well. I will test on another network shortly to see if I get the same results.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.