Bug of the day… As if not being able to make pages wasn't bad enough… settings revert to de

I am really getting more and more disappointed in UP/Spirit.

After hours of work, my formatting just reverted to default.

Will you people please fix this thing?

This is after a clean install of WP and UP/Spirit, and starting over on the site, completely rebuilt from scratch.

This is after:

1) I cannot make any new pages, because any new pages I save overwrite other pages (and no one seems to want to address this issue… days with no resolution).

2) now the theme is so incredibly unstable, it just decided to use the default colors and sizes. I can see the code in the UF edits screens, and the CSS box – all the changes I made look fine there (screenshot: As it looks in UpFront Editor), but on the live page, it has somehow picked up the green on the menu (hover) and the formatting on the blog (screenshot: Diverted to original color Live View).

Why does this happen? It is on the UF editor, but not on the live page?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles,

Hope you’re doing well today!

1) I cannot make any new pages, because any new pages I save overwrite other pages (and no one seems to want to address this issue… days with no resolution).

I’ve reproduced this issue on my install and let the developers know so we can get it fixed up asap! This will be high priority.

2) now the theme is so incredibly unstable, it just decided to use the default colors and sizes. I can see the code in the UF edits screens, and the CSS box – all the changes I made look fine there (screenshot: As it looks in UpFront Editor), but on the live page, it has somehow picked up the green on the menu (hover) and the formatting on the blog (screenshot: Diverted to original color Live View).

This sounds like it’s likely associated with the above issue. it will be looked into at the same time.

Thanks for all your patience Charles and appreciate you reporting this in.

Let us know in the meantime if you have any further questions!

Hope you’re having a good weekend.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Charles
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Tyler and Jeff,

Jeff, I read your post and I think it is similar to what I am seeing with the reversion to the default settings. It’s crazy seeing the editor like it should be, then going to the site and not seeing the work come through. But the settings are still in the editor, so that is a good thing!

Tyler, I agree, for me the inability to add content to pages and keep them intact is a “mission critical” issue, as we are expanding rapidly. Once we add the membership piece this is going to swell in a hurry. We anticipate at least one new nursery project per month, and this site is designed as a multi-site so each country will have its own website that we administer from HQ. Custom-making pages is a big deal for this organization, and bugs like this will kill me on support issues as we build out.

Thank you for making this a High Priority!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles and Jeff,

Thanks for chiming in with some additional info here :slight_smile: they may be related – I think Charles issue is largely related to a fix we released in the last update which got the “Copy layout to all posts of this type” feature working correctly; however, it seems to be happening to pages sometimes when it shouldn’t be.

At any rate, smarter people than myself will get this sorted out :p

and no problem Charles.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Charles

Tyler,

I have seen a reference in a couple of posts about resetting the theme back to default as the “fix” to the page duplication error. No way am I about to lose weeks of work on an error your team created, and now cannot fix in a timely manner.

Please, for the benefit of everyone that has been totally screwed by this, issue a statement to all users that clearly states what is happening with regard to the system.

We trusted you. You have not delivered.

I am scared to make even a simple change on my live site for fear of something else getting screwed up.

I have given full access to my test site and not heard one word back from you.

You people have really dropped the ball on this, and I suspect that many users besides me have unhappy clients at this point in time. I am hoping my relationship with the client I am using this theme for will survive at all at this point.

You guys really need to fix this ASAP!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles,

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner here; however, this issue should have been fixed in version 2.7 – the issue I had was fixed, I just double checked to make sure. Perhaps the issues weren’t related after-all.

I’ve been creating pages and mine are not getting overwritten or overwriting others. When you create a new page are you using one of the templates or just “default”? Just wanting to figure out why your saved pages are overwriting others, but mine aren’t.

Are others here still experiencing this after updating to 2.7 as well?

All the best,

Tyler

• Charles

Ok, I went out and did the reset as specified in this post:

“Hi Charles,

Sorry to hear the suggestion didn’t help you.

I have talked with the theme developer and he told me that the bug is addressed in the latest update, but for it to work you need to remove the previous records from the db as described in the following replies.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-save-changes-per-page-and-not-globally#post-847211

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-you-reset-the-spirit-theme-back-to-default-settings#post-824466

Regards,

Vinod Dalvi”

It seems as thought I have been able to create a couple pages, I will let you know if they stick in a few minutes.

This is the poorest rollout of a product I have ever seen. Shabby. Just plain shabby.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles,

Thanks for your updates here and sorry you're having so much troubles. Really appreciate the help you've provided in reporting bugs too :slight_smile:

Still early development, so bugs were to be expected, but some were bigger than we would of liked that's for sure :slight_frown: as you have experienced first hand. We've been trying to squash them as fast as possible.

I am glad to hear that so far you're doing good after the reset!

Just something to note for the future, the fastest way to do a reset on any of the child themes is by running an SQL query from phpmyadmin, like this:

DELETE FROM wp_options WHERE option_name LIKE '%spirit%';

As seen in my screenshot.

If you run into any further issues just let us know. I'll keep a close eye out for that page overwriting issue you had experienced.

All the best,

Tyler

• Charles

Thank you Tyler.

That is a handy query. Noted.

I saw where you were in the site, thank you for doing that. I have created a series of pages based on the countries we are working in, and it seems to be working as expected so far.

I am not going to mess with the live site at all until I am ready to replace it with the test site I am recreating now.

I will have some questions on the mobile views, but I want to try a few things on the formatting before I send in a support ticket.

Today I want to begin working on the categories and tags, and see how those pages assemble for each category and tag. It was not working before – I was not getting the same number of posts that are categorized or tagged.

Without bugs this is a great system!

Oh, one other thing – when I put content in the normal page edit box (where the page is created), and I open UpFront, there are no handles to resize that box. Should there be resize handles in the corners like the other elements?

Also, I would be great if you guys would communicate the benefits of upgrades- for example: If you had “page overwrites other pages” problem,

– Fix: custom 404 layout changes saving – will address that, and you have to reset the system for it to take effect (and how to do the reset in myphpadmin)…

and so on.

I had to hunt through many posts with the same issue until I found the reset solution that went with the fix. That took a long time to find and was very frustrating. I was on the verge of trashing the entire theme at that point.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles,

Glad it’s working for you so far. I recall you posting about the grouped elements link issue, that is being worked on and the fix should be released soon :slight_smile:

Oh, one other thing – when I put content in the normal page edit box (where the page is created), and I open UpFront, there are no handles to resize that box. Should there be resize handles in the corners like the other elements?

There isn’t any re-sizing of the base post element. Although we will be adding more customization options to that, soon it will have the same post part options as the Upfront post element. Re-sizing is a good idea too, I’ll pass that on :slight_smile:

Also, I would be great if you guys would communicate the benefits of upgrades- for example: If you had “page overwrites other pages” problem,

– Fix: custom 404 layout changes saving – will address that, and you have to reset the system for it to take effect (and how to do the reset in myphpadmin)…

and so on.

We do include the fixes in each update via the changelog; but yes totally agree that adding the reset in addition to that would of been helpful, saved everyone sometime. I’ll pass that on as well.

Hope everything is still working out for you Charles! Let us know if any further questions pop up.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the link and granting access. I see a couple js errors occur when the site doesn’t load fully.

ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined
    http://test.coralrestorationintl.org/what-we-do/
    Line 160

ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined
    http://test.coralrestorationintl.org/upfront-dependencies/scripts/ceade8031cfae965c7ef4767cb9b2b56?ver=0.1.6
    Line 2

My guess would be this is due to the caching plugins. Have you tried it with all of your caching related plugins deactivated? If that still doesn’t work then try deactivating all your plugins.

If we’re still getting those Js errors in the console, I can pass them over to one of our developers so we can investigate further :slight_smile:

Would you mind if I deactivated plugins on your test site? I’ll make sure to re-activate them after – might just be faster that way.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Charles

Hi Tyler,

I have been working on on W3TC. I have seen a lot of improvements, and would love for you to take a look.

Right now the main issue I can’t get past is the CDN. I am using Amazon Cloudfront – the correct domain shows up, but the images do not display, so if you see that, that could mean I am in the middle of working on it.

Access is still active. I would appreciate any insight you can give me on this.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Charles,

Are you hosting the images on Amazon Cloudfront? So embedding them into your site from an outside source? I didn’t see any like that on your site and all seem to be working; however, images in your media library must be in the uploads folder for Upfront to recognize them, if you have a plugin like Amazon Cloudfront that is changing the host of those images then you will likely end up with broken images.

You can display an image on your site from an outside source via url no problem, it’s just the images when selecting from your media library that won’t work if you have changed their urls. So that might be the issue you’re having there.

If that’s not the case and I’m misunderstanding then just let me know and I’ll have another look :slight_smile:

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Charles

Hi Tyler,

Supposedly, all the images were to go from my server to the distributed cloudfront servers – images, css, js, all of that stuff. I am not importing any images to my server. The only images on my server are the ones I put there building the site or the board members included with their posts.

I still have CDN turned off.

Support access is good until tomorrow if you can take another look.

Thank you Tyler.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.