BUG REPORT - Upfront/Spirit/Responsive Element positioning

I've been pulling my hair out for the past couple of days with Upfront/Spirit and responsive element positioning. I've finally figured out the issue and it would appear to be a reproducible bug.

I have been adjusting the settings in "Responsive Mode"to properly align and reposition elements for the various sized screens (Desktop, Big tablet, Tablet and Phone). The original layout for the page I'm working on was done and looked fine - but - when the screen size was adjusted, the elements on the page repositioned in a way that killed the flow of the page.

For example, two columns side by each left and right would reposition with the right side column above the left side, when viewed in a smaller screen. The associated images would also move around and the order did not seem to make sense. To resolve this - I used "Responsive Mode" and painstakingly adjusted the locations of all the elements in the page to accommodate for the smaller sized screen. I adjusted each of these for each sized screen (no fun). I then saved and exited upfront.

Later, if I noticed some element that needed to be tweaked in position for a particular screen, I would renter Responsive mode, make the adjustment, save and exit. BUT upon viewing the page on the various screens I saw that the elements were all out of position again. All my work had disappeared and the only change that was retained was the "tweak adjustment" I had made.

After a couple of passes readjusting elements for each and every sized screen - I finally realized that "Upfront" loses all the previous responsive adjustments whenever you re-enter responsive mode.

THUS - you only have one pass to make and save the adjustments to element positioning in Responsive Mode - Re-enter and you will need to start from scratch. (I dare not make any further adjustments to the project I was working on – or I'm back to the start).

I've enjoyed testing out Upfront/Spirit and really like the concept - but - until some of these issues are fixed, I'm going to have to steer clear - it's just too time consuming.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Jeff,

Really appreciate you taking the time to report this.

I've just been playing with responsive mode, making changes, jumping in and out, and I can't seem to be able to recreate. I wonder if perhaps I'm just not understanding the issue fully and maybe missing what you see, would it be possible for you make a quick video?

You could use something like Jing: http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

I'm also going to ask a couple of our other staff to test, if they can recreate we'll post back, else we're wait for your video.

Thanks again Jeff, have a great day!

• Jeff
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the response.

That particular project is now live for a client. So, I will need to clone the site and then do the video for you – it will take me a day or so to get that done.

In the meantime - to test - try between 4 and 6 text elements lined up in a 2 column by 3 row arrangement. Then add an image above each row.

Then adjust it in Responsive Mode.

It may be easier for me to reproduce this for you in a new install - shall try to get to that for you soon.

• Jeff
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

One more related issue to add to this ...
    This morning my client wanted us to add one line of text to one of the bulleted text lists.

I entered Upfront and added the single bullet point. (I was careful not to enter responsive mode) I then saved and exited Upfront. A quick check of the layouts in the various screen widths revealed that the content in the smaller widths had again REJIGGED back to nonsense - I must therefore redo each of these one more time. (A 5 minute adjustment now turns into a 30 minute headache - Anyway - such is life in this business. )

Just thought I should add this detail as it appears there is a bit more to this bug then just entering "responsive mode"

-Jeff

• Melanie
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Same thing is happening to me! I am so upset. It has taken me a whole day to do one page and now, not only is it jumping all over the place when viewed on different screens, the page itself isn't showing! The page is there in Wordpress Admin but when I go to the URL the page isn't there! I'm so confused as to what is going on!

• jetmac
    • Recruit

I've got the same issue. Everything aligns properly in Upfront, but when I go live, one mobile view is always askew. One or two elements refusing to stay in position -- happens between "tablet" and "large tablet" configurations.

Most evident on the home page: http://www.apocalypseweird.com

This was agonizing - -finally stopped trying to fight it. It has to be a bug of some kind. Why does mobile screw up Upfront so badly? Why can't the elements just flow?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.