BUG: Sites Previously paid Pro Sites can't be used as a blog template

This bug really sucked a lot of F'ing time...where was the QA. To my horror while some of my public facing blog templates worked...some didn't.

Blog template is copying over pro-site data causing an error behind the scenes so that some of the content gets copied over....but the theme doesn't and some of post types don't. So things appear at first glance to be in working order as the order goes through...but some things for the client don't

Blog templates should be stripping/ignoring pro-site stripe data...and it ain't. That needs to be resolved.

logs showing this is the killer error:

2016/12/20 09:47:01 [error] 27656#0: *110184 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: Stripe Notice: Undefined property of Stripe_AttachedObject instance: blog_id" while reading response header from upstream, client: 54.XXX.216.XX, server: mynetowork.com, request: "POST /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_stripe_webhook HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock:", host: "mynetowork.com"

In addition, also getting 6 or 7 wordpress database duplicate entry errors, but those don't seem to effect the outcome of the new site from what i can tell, but should probably be reviewed by your developer.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear you had issues with Pro Sites and NBT, however I'm not sure that understand completely your report so I would appreciate some more information about this.

Did you had one site registered as Pro Site and then you selected that site to be available as template for new registrations?

If that's the case can you tell me if that site still had Pro status while it was added as template?

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at your setup?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Ben

I'm not sure that understand completely your report so I would appreciate some more information about this.

Step 1: Using blog templates and pro-sites a person signs up from the internet. They have a site with a pro-site status (we will call the site, site ID 20) for 6 months, create a great site, then for some reason get fed up with all the buggy plugins and quit.

Step 2: Site ID 20 looks good and so network operator cleans it up and uses it as a blog template

Step 3: A new user selects the Blog Template based on Site ID 20 to create a brand new site.

Step 4: When they view their site things don't match the template, things weren't copied over, and the theme that was in the blog template is not the same theme.

Step 5: They think this website they just signed up for sucks, and they cancel their pro-site subscription and demand a refund.

Predrag Dubajic does that make sense...?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it is something I imagined happened but wanted to be sure we're on the same page.

I do have few more questions so I could try replicating this.

Step 2: Site ID 20 looks good and so network operator cleans it up and uses it as a blog template

Is our Cloner plugin used for cloning the site in network?

Did you had premium plugins and themes module enabled in Pro Sites and did site 20 use any of premium plugins/themes?

Is new blog that gets registered having the same Pro Site level as site 20 had?

Is the theme from template site available in pro site level that new site has?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Ben

Is our Cloner plugin used for cloning the site in network?

No

Did you had premium plugins and themes module enabled in Pro Sites

Yes

and did site 20 use any of premium plugins/themes?

Yes, and the new sign up level is at the same level as the template being used in the blogtemplate for sign up

Is new blog that gets registered having the same Pro Site level as site 20 had?

Yes

Is the theme from template site available in pro site level that new site has?

Yes

• Dimitris

Hey there Ben,

hope you're doing good and don't mind jumping in here!

I just tried to replicate this in a test installation but new site seems to be in order, having its "pro" level active theme (UF Issue with a modified homepage) and active plugins (BuddyPress).

Step 4: When they view their site things don't match the template, things weren't copied over, and the theme that was in the blog template is not the same theme.

Could you please confirm that you have checked the "WordPress Settings, current theme and active plugins" option in your New Blog Template?

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Ben

I just tried to replicate this in a test installation but new site seems to be in order, having its "pro" level active theme (UF Issue with a modified homepage) and active plugins (BuddyPress).

Just to be clear...are you simply making the theme a pro-site in the admin...or are you making the site a pro-site theme by signing up like a user, with a credit card and using stripe as the backend to process the credit card? If you review the error i posted its looking for a "stripe_object"

So...you need to first create a blog that gets associated with a stripe object...just want to confirm you are not skipping this step.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Ben,

I just did this test as well, actually two tests, one with setting Pro Site as Template and another with cloned site set as template, each time plugins and theme settings were properly transferred.
    I used stripe each time when registering site, both the new site that was then used for template and sites created based on that template.

Only difference I can think of is the cloning step, you mentioned that you cloned the pro site and then created the template, but you didn't use our Cloner plugin for that, can you tell me how did you clone that site so I could try testing it with that?

Have you tried registering new Pro Site, setting it up and then set it as template, create new site based on that template and check if everything's in place?
    Basically all the same steps but without cloning the site.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Ben

I never cloned the site. I just took a previously live user's site and made it the blog template site.

My work around I'm doing is creating a site from scratch by going to admin and clicking new site and not basing it on a blog template. Building it without ever having a stripe pro-site status, and then using that as a base.

Seeing the error in the logs is a gift.

I don't want to spend more time debugging, but you can see the error in my logs i reported, and from that error your developer can backtrace his LOGIC and see where some sort of error protection is lacking and then create a fix. Perhaps he doesn't properly use a "try" statement, or he's not making conditions to not copy stripe data when copying over wordpress settings.

We are wasting our time here. Please advise the developer.

Thanks.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Ben,

The issue you're describing is not happening on my installation or Dimitris' so it's quite possible that the issue is specific to your installation, one of the plugins you have or perhaps some server settings are causing this for you.

I will check with the devs about this issue however without a way of replicating this issue or providing them with the cause of it will take them longer time to figure it out, that's why we're asking all the above questions in first place.

Could you grant support access to site in question so we can see if there's any specific setting different from our setups that could be causing this?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.