BUG: Testing signing up for secondary paid site with stripe (as admin) is not leading to confirm pg

Just ran a live test for a secondary (well not really 2ndary ...have 20 blogs under this admin account), here's the result:

Choose an upfront blog template first so that lead creating a link:

https://networkname.com/pro-site/?blog_template=6&action=new_blog

Choose a bottom tier package which DID NOT allow for the theme that was associated with blog_template=6

made the payment, that went through (GREAT)

But after payment went through, resulting screen was a page that looks like the normal pro-sites listing of the possible plans to choose from with no reference to the facet that I just created a site, nor any listings of my sites..

So a couple things that demonstrate a big GAP in the design of this work flow (but easy to solve if there is anybody actually working on this project...which given the amount of bugs I have reported with solutions and no releases I am guessing there is not):

#1) There needs to be an "if statement" to check if the selected blog template allows for the presented levels and to gray out or have some sort of message on the level if that level doesn't allow for the selected blog template.

#2) There needs to be a signal to the pro-sites url after the payment is posted telling it that the user just signed up, here is the blog id ie (https://networkname.com/pro-site/?action=payment_new_site_success&id=32

pro-site can look for this and make a better landing page for after a successful signup.

Cause right now...its a very confusing cluster f*ck and embarrassing.

Hope that helps. Si se puedes!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ben,

I hope you're having a nice day!

I tested this and although I can confirm that it didn't work as expected, I achieved a bit different result. Can we please make sure first (before I push it forward to the developers) that we found a "common ground"?

Here's the setup that I tested:
    - the New Blog Templates plugin and Pro Sites active
    - three blog templates to choose from, one of them using Panino theme ("Upfront Template")
    - two Pro Sites levels
    - Panino theme made available only to "Level B"

Scenario 1:

- user signed up for the first site selecting "Upfront Template" and "Level A" (Panino theme not available then)
    - payment went through Stripe
    - thank you page shown and site create as expected
    - new site is exactly like the template site except the active theme was default Twenty Fifteen and Panino was not available to be selected

Scenario 2:
    - the same user (didn't even logged out) creates another site selecting "Level A" and "Upfront Template"
    - Stripe payment goes through
    - thank you page is displayed
    - site gets created as a template site and with Panino theme (that shouldn't be available) active

As you can see I can confirm that there's inconsistency here but it worked for me in a bit different way than for you. I suppose than the issue is more complex than you reported and I'll report but first I'd like to be sure that I get a full picture.

That being said, could you please refer to my test and provide me with a step-by-step guide on what the "test setup" of Pro Sites and New Blog Templates should be and what steps should I take to replicate that exact issue that you found out about?

I realize that your description is pretty specific and clear but I need to be 100% sure that I'm replicating this exactly.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Ben

As you can see I can confirm that there's inconsistency here but it worked for me in a bit different way than for you.

You're scenario 1 is not working...as now the user is left thinking..."Wtf...i didn't sign up for a site that looks like this, i'm tell everybody that these guys have NO IDEA what they are doing, gonna get on yelp and review negatively and tweet /facebook instagram this site that looks like nothing i care about without any further instruction as to what happened." That's how you wpmudev staff and anybody creating a website for a client needs to empathize with people that sign up..and if you can't...then wtf are we doing. Come on.

I'm gonna screen share a use case and go through the code in a video demo and email it. This is taking wayyy to long to teach and explain so hopefully you can understand my frustration here.

• Ben

Thanks for testing.

My scenario seems to differ a bit:
    - the same user (didn't even logged out) creates another site selecting "Level A" and "Upfront Template"
    - Stripe payment goes through
    - thank you page is NOT displayed properly (I have another pro-sites issue I think i brought up that is related to that that needs to be addressed)
    - the active theme was default Twenty Fifteen and Panino was not available to be selected, and there is a hello world blog post and a "Sample Page" So none of the panino pages carried over from the blog template.

• Ben

I'm sorry to make this difficult, but do you mind just letting me know what you guys need to see and I could provide some screen shots. I have a lot of countries blocked from access to seeing my servers to stop the automated ping testing of bad people from many regions of the world.

If we had a direct dialog over chat I would be happy to open things up while we are on a chat so that it is a controlled time, but I can't just blindly leave things open. Hope that makes sense! Please let me know how we can proceed.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Ben,

We do have live chats sessions as you can see here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/
    However those are not 1 on 1 chats so it might be difficult debugging this specific issue during the session.

We do have support staff all over the world so someone will probably be able to access your site and check it out without removing your limitations.

Since this issue is not something we experienced before I'm not sure what option could be causing this, or if it's even related to that, but the best start is to try replicating your setup so basically we would need screenshots from Pro Sites settings, enabled modules, New Blog Templates settings, etc.

Do you have an option to whitelist IP range, so I could provide you with range my ISP uses and with that I should be able to access your site?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ben!

I can understand that you don't want to risk letting us access any of your sites. That's perfectly understandable. On the other hand, you keep testing our themes and plugins and keep reporting issues and while it's highly appreciated and helps us get better, it's important to take into account the fact that there's to many factors affecting such tests for us to take everything you found out "blindly". I believe that makes sense.

Watching a record of my tests will not change anything here as I precisely described results. These results do suggest that there may be some error and nobody's denying it. It seems though that as my results are different than yours this may be a bit different issue. I'll keep testing it on my own and report to the developers when I got 100% sure what's going on.

As for what you reported then: since we are not able to access your site(s) but you are willing to share some info about configuration, please provide me with following information (config info may be in form of description but better yet in form of screenshots, please feel free to blur/remove any sensitive data):

1. a list of active plugins on the test site
    2. status upfront themes (including child themes and Upfront parent theme) network activation
    3. configuration of a New Blot Template used for testing (maybe a full screenshot of "Edit template" options screen)
    4. full configuration of following:
    - Pro Sites -> Modules
    - Pro Sites -> Premium Themes
    - Pro Sites -> Premium Plugins or Premium Plugins Manager (depending on which one is active; there can be only one of those active)
    - Pro Sites -> Levels
    - Pro Sites -> Settings -> General Settings
    - Pro Sites -> Settings -> E-mail notifications

5. Version numbers of: WordPress (and if it's sub-domain or sub-folder install), Pro Sites, Upfront and Upfront theme(s) used

6. A detailed step-by-step guide (in a form of "1. visit this page", "2. select this and this" etc) on the test that we should replicate; I realize that this is asking pretty much the same question over again but I need to be sure that I'm not missing anything. This all should provide us with fairly reliable way to test it all again.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Ben

I understand your frustration, i'm frustrated too. I offered to sit side by side virtually and help your team knock the bugs...I'm batting pretty close to 100% in it being a bug vs user error on my part....so i would think that would mean something as you should want to make it easy for a guy like me consistently finding a lot of important overlooked issues that flat out shouldn't be there and dont know how these things are pretty missed.

Anyway we can set up this side by side so I can help you guys out...? Its complete craziness whats going on there and I think the whole WPMU dev customer base would thank you tremendously for making this happen.

• Dimitris

Hey there Ben,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

Anyway we can set up this side by side so I can help you guys out...? Its complete craziness whats going on there and I think the whole WPMU dev customer base would thank you tremendously for making this happen.

As stated before we can't offer this kind of 1-on-1 chat or Skype call. Our communication channels are restricted to forums, chat sessions (for all users at the same time) and emails.

Now please understand not trying to be hostile...we just gotta get something different than me constantly dragging these issues out...I hopefully have earned some respect from WPMUDev given the amount of help in finding bugs and solving bugs I have delivered to the team for free

I believe that there isn't any kind of hostility between us all! We just try to serve you the best way we can with the tools we have in our hands. :slight_smile:
    The best approach now is to try to replicate this as Adam stated in his reply here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/bug-testing-signing-up-for-secondary-paid-site-with-stripe-as-admin-is-not-leading-to-confirm-pg#post-1174456
    If you could provide the complete information as Adam mentioned, it would be the best for us.

Just wrote a plugin that blocks the prosite level from displayed if the blog template uses a theme that is above designated pro-site level allowable theme setting.

This shouldn't be an issue in first place but you can still sent us your code via our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - your plugin (you can use a Dropbox/Google Drive service to upload it and post here the shareable link)
    - any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.