Bugs/Features

Devs,

Nice idea - but like a lot of the plugins I get from WPMU, not well executed. Here's some quick feedback I hope you find helpful:
1) Install worked fine on a 3.2 single WP site (not MU).
2) Subscribe form looks ok (not great) but does not return confirmation in IE8 or Chrome. Looks like others have seen this issue (jquery).
3) I don't see an option to use a shortcode in a page instead of a widget to show the form
4) Would be nice to be able to limit the capability to registered blog users. I guess I could edit the widget to do a check if user is logged in...
5) Unsubscribe sends a very transparent subscriber ID... any curious (malicious) user could simply iterate through IDs and unsubscribe people. Random token per subscriber would be safer.
6) Easy to subscribe anyone's email (no confirmation). Suggestion: when subscription is created, create the record w/the unique random token. Just like opt out, require a confirmation click from the user w/that token to "activate" the subscription. This option could be toggled on/off in plugin settings. Just like the subscription email, also put a field to customize the text in this confirmation email.

These are my quick thoughts. It is functionality we would love to have but not quite featured or reliable enough yet in this plugin.

Thanks.

• DavidM

Hi tjeull,

Many thanks for your feedback! I'd just like to address a few of your points before passing this on to the developers.

1) Install worked fine on a 3.2 single WP site (not MU).

I was able to install, activate and use the plugin on a test Mutisite, version 3.2.1. Is there a particular issue/error you're seeing on this?

3) I don't see an option to use a shortcode in a page instead of a widget to show the form

There are a few plugins I recall that actually can call a widget using a shortcode and the following excellent article shows how that can be done by adding a snippet to your theme's functions.php:
    http://digwp.com/2010/04/call-widget-with-shortcode/

4) Would be nice to be able to limit the capability to registered blog users. I guess I could edit the widget to do a check if user is logged in...

There are quite a few plugins that provide a similar feature but the Widget Logic plugin seems to me to be the least intrusive and most lightweight. You can use it to specify conditionals for each widget.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/

As I mentioned, I'll pass on your other concerns to the developers too.

Thanks,
    David

• Mason

Hiya,

The developer has been passed along your feedback and we've made
    some adjustments to the plugin (and will continue to improve).

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.