Builder and Theme Conflicts

Greetings WPMUdev!

I am in the process of changing one site (tamanasprings.com) to mimic another within Upfront (moor.tamanasprings.com).

I am having a conflict where the Parrot theme was edited within Builder for tamanasprings.com and is causing an issue when editing in Upfront. I'd like to start with the default parrot theme for that site without effecting the other (moor.tamanasprings.com).

So essentially, is there a way I can reset the Parrot theme to the defaults before editing in builder without effecting the theme on the moor.tamanasprings.com? I'm assuming the theme globally is still default.

I hope I'm making enough sense.

Thank Yah!
Ciro Bey

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ciro Bey,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

This is an unfortunate issue. The Upfront Builder is a "theme builder" and not a site editor. If the theme has been edited with Upfront Builder it's "default state" becomes the "state that's been achieved with Upfront Builder".

This means that if you edited e.g. the "Parrot" theme with Upfront Builder and then enabled it on multiple sites of your multisite, the "edited" theme would be used as default.

The same would be the result of resetting the theme to default by using the "Upfront -> General -> Reset theme" option in site's dashboard.

The only way to bring back the "real default" theme would be to delete the theme by going to "Network Admin -> Themes" and clicking on "Delete" on "Theme details" screen and then installing it again through the "WPMU DEV -> Themes".

In case of multisite however this would cost you all the customization that you already made as the themes in multisite environment are stored "centrally".

Having that said, I preformed some tests on my site in order to check if it's possible to override this but unfortunately I didn't find a way to do this. Upfront is storing data in database but builder is also modifying files (as it's a "theme builder" and not a "layout editor").

The only solution here would be to find a way to "rename the plugin" so the "Modified Parrot" would store data differently but there's no tool to do this. I'm going to ask one of the developers about this so please keep an eye on this thread.

Please note also that the developer's response time may be quite longer than ours here on forum so I'd appreciate some patience on this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ciro Bey

Thank you Adam Czajczyk

So just to clarify real quick. The theme ("Parrot" ) was edited within Upfront (editor) on moor.tamanasprings.com. Then later on, the Parrot theme was edited within Builder on TamanaSprings.com.

I am having a conflict with the theme where the changes are reverting to default wihtin Builder. Thus the reason to reset the theme on tamanasprings.com And when I edit the (now edited parrot theme) within the Upfront editor the changes are able to be made although still come up with the same layout error. (Screenshot)

I'm not having this problem on the Parrot theme on moor.tamanasprings.com

Thank you all for your support. Hopefully this helps to paint a picture as well.

Much Love,
    Ciro Bey

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ciro Bey,

Thank you for your response!

I just got a replay from the developer and we will be able to help you with this. What we could do exactly would be to "make two themes out of the modified Parrot": one would be your modified Parrot (in state that it currently is and one that would be a clean default/initial Parrot.

There's a downside of it though, because it may cause you to have to re-make these edits on "modified Parrot" that you previously made with Upfront Editor (not builder). I'll talk to the developer again though and maybe we'll be able to do this "in reverse" so this modified theme would stay as "Parrot" so changes would be kept and the "clean Parrot" would be re-named (so it would be a "fresh start"). I cannot guarantee that but I'll see what we can do.

Please note though that this is quite an unusual case so it's better to remember to not mix these two (Upfront Editor and Upfront Builder) in future :slight_smile:

That being said, I will need a full access to your setup because we'll need to modify files (it may also be necessary to make modifications to the database). Therefore, please send in:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Adam Czajczyk
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - login URL and admin account login credentials (may be a temporary admin account) data
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include hosting control panel access details (login address, username & password) - cPanel's usually the control panel used for this, but your provider may use something else; I'll need this for accessing your site's database, preferably via phpMyAdmin
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

Please use our contact form here http://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down list. 

Please be sure to make a full backup of your entire site first!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ciro Bey

Hey there Adam Czajczyk

Thank you very much for this support. Please extend my thanks to the developers as well.

After some testing, I found that I am able to use a fresh theme build with builder. So I won't need to use Parrot after all. I've created a new theme and have implemented that into the upfront editor and hopefully will suffice. I apologize for any confusion and am thankful for all of your hard work.

Also, the problem I was having in the screenshot above seemed to be fixed after creating a new region twice and renaming.

Thanks Again!

Much Love,
    Ciro Bey

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.