bulk adding buddypress group members

Is there any way of adding multiple wordpress users to a specific group at once? Bulk adding?

I have almost 300 members i need to add to one BP group for an intranet site and would hate to do it one by one.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @nomadone,

I've checked into this, and I couldn't find a way to do this with a plugin.

There is however a BuddyPress function to add a user to a group if you'd be alright doing this with some code.

groups_join_group( $group_id, $user_id )

Maybe we could make a little function for this. I can help you, I would just need a bit more info, and it might take a little longer than usual. Do you just want to add ALL existing users? Or do perhaps have a CSV file?

Also, do the users already exist, or are they being imported from somewhere else? We might be able to hook the add new user routine and have all the users added to a particular group when they signup or are added to BuddyPress.

Best regards

• nomadone
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Thanks your help would be very much appreciated.

I have all the users in wp already but have quite a few groups I need to assign various batches of users to. It's an intranet so some groups all users would belong to and some would have large batches assigned as members.

• Decura
    • The Bug Hunter

@nomadone

The original question is not the same. I'll give you that. However, there were 3 treads that mentioned you were searching for a solution on how to bulk add users to a group in BuddyPress. I just provided a possible one in the other that was mentioned.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@nomadone
    Looks like @Decurca just posted minutes after me, so it's possible my response hadn't shown up. Normally we would keep a similar conversation in one place.

For example, it probably would have been best to followup with me on the original thread from two months ago.

But regardless, it really doesn't matter now. I'm cool with picking things up here - especially as we're taking a new approach. Let's see if we can crack this thing.

I'm actually not sure what the best approach is yet. Take a look at this screenshot. Say we had an option under "Bulk Actions" on the users page. Would this work for you? I can't make any promises, but I could look into the possibility. I do know there are hooks readily available for this. It would add the users to a group of an ID you enter. There wouldn't be an undo, so once they're added, you'd need to remove manually.

Best regards

• Decura
    • The Bug Hunter

@nomadone

I just added a response to the other tread. Hopefully you figure it out with the function. I'm out with the custom coding.

(edit) @Alexander Rohmann

I didn't see the first post as well as the second before posting. You're just one step ahead :slight_smile:

• nomadone

Thanks guys I appreciate your time and assistance, I've needed a solution like this quite a few times.

@Alexander Rohmann having a bulk edit option would be great, are you saying making a choice of adding a user to a group in bulk edit?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Yes, here's what I'm thinking.

Click "Bulk Actions" you get a "Add to BuddyPress group" option. You'll be able to enter a BuddyPress group ID. Then it adds all the checked users to that group when you submit.

This is a simple enough approach that it should be able to happen in a few lines of code. Just confirm if this makes sense and sounds ok to you and I can make some time to give it a try. We don't undertake custom development as part of support, but this should actually just be a quick PHP function that I could do as some code support.

Best regards

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Alrighty, got this to work with a few lines of PHP and javascript. Just add this code to a plugin or within functions.php of a theme

http://git.io/cRQTLg

add_action('load-users.php',function() {

if(isset($_GET['action']) && isset($_GET['bp_gid']) && isset($_GET['users'])) {
        $group_id = $_GET['bp_gid'];
        $users = $_GET['users'];
        foreach ($users as $user_id) {
            groups_join_group( $group_id, $user_id );
        }
    }
        //Add some Javascript to handle the form submission
        add_action('admin_footer',function(){ ?>
        <script>
            jQuery("select[name='action']").append(jQuery('<option value="groupadd">Add to BP Group</option>'));
            jQuery("#doaction").click(function(e){
                if(jQuery("select[name='action'] :selected").val()=="groupadd") { e.preventDefault();
                    gid=prompt("Please enter a BuddyPres Group ID","1");
                    jQuery(".wrap form").append('<input type="hidden" name="bp_gid" value="'+gid+'" />').submit();
                }
            });
        </script>
        <?php
        });
    });

Keep in mind this requires at least PHP version 5.3 as I'm using some closures. If you're on an older PHP version let me know and I'll modify it to use named functions.

Best regards

• ericslangley

Alex,

You wrote:
    Does that plugin do a bulk add to group? It looks more like an importer.

I note:

Yes, it does. The format is a column labeled 'member_group_ids' with entries separated by '::' a cell should look like this: 1::3::5::6

The members is imported (or updated if they already exist) to be a member of Groups with ID 1,3,5 and 6.

One way to use the plugin as a Bulk Group Add is to export your Users using another plugin, updating the 'member_group_ids' and the re-importing them using the update function.

I don't think you can use to bulk remove members from groups though.

~eric

• ericslangley

Alexander,

You wrote:
    I'd be concerned about losing BuddyPress data...

I note:
    Yes, Of course I would recommend backing up sites prior to any major change, such as importing importing users.

My method is to have a dev site for every production site, test everything there first and then make the changes in production, after making a backup.

You wrote:
    ...just to move users to another group

I note:
    There are a lot of reasons to adjust group membership is bulk, especially on larger, active sites with Membership permissions. Having a certain Membership subscription/level may entitle you to be a member of a private group. Or if the Admin creates a group and wants to add 1500 members to it this is a good option.

I have not seen to many "Bulk Update BuddyPress Group Membership" plugins...

~eric

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@ericslangley,

I haven't seen any that can do a bulk update simply from WordPress user controls. I just realized that my link was broken, so I've added the code in the post. Take a look at the code I posted above. It's not exactly full featured, and it requires you to know the group ID, but it will allow an update from "Bulk Actions"

Best regards,

• Marcin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Had the same issue as @nomadone . Because you usually need to do this batch load only once, I installed "WP Export Users Plus" plugin, created a list of all login names comma delimited, copied it and pasted into add members section in group management panel. All took no more than few minutes.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.