Bulk Create Sidebars From PHPMyAdmin?

Is there a way to create a CSV file with sidebar names and bulk create them via upload within PHPMy Admin to the appropriate table?

Dimitris

Hey there Elektraman,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us!

For simple custom sidebars you can always use the register_sidebars() function. Any functionalities that comes with our Custom Sidebars Pro plugin though, won't be available, this is for bulk creating some extra sidebars.

On the other hand, there's already an import/export functionality as you can see in this blog post under the "Importing and Exporting Your Custom Sidebars" subtitle.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/free-custom-sidebars-plugin/
    A workaround here would be to export couple of "test" sidebars in the .json form that import/export use, review the structure of the exported file and based on that, you can create your own import .json file.

Hope that was some help, feel free to post back here if more assistance is required here!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Elektraman

Simple sidebars unfortunately don't have the functionality I need thats why i'm using and recommending Sidebars Pro

If I were to use the .json function how would I run up 100 sidebars in under a minute? I could do this with CSV by having within the CSV file the geo locations vertically and the keyword horizonatally then running a merge formula on it, The would give me hundred of combinations in 30 seconds followed by a CSV import lasting only a few secongs.

But using the .json format means manually typing each one in, if I am correct? That being the case that would take hours and would likely be harder than creating them through the Appearance>widgets option...

Or am I missing something?

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Elektraman!

That's a bit more complex that that, unfortunately. First, in order to "import" anything directly to the database using phpMyAdmin you would need to get the data converted to the SQL format (set of SQL queries). Another issue is that the database data is a "configuration" but sidebars have to be registered with WordPress anyway.

That second part could indeed be handled with Custom Sidebars Pro. The plugin however does not support CSV import and bulk import. It could probably be possible to create data for the plugin directly in database so it would read it and setup those sidebars but if it was to work that way - add data directly to DB and do it "in bulk" - it would require some amount of custom coding.

You may want to ask for a custom development on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Best regards,
    Adam