Bulk Smushing, instructions are not clear

I am about to bulk smush about 2000 images in an ecommerce site, though a lot of the images showing in the media library aren't really there, thanks to the WooCommerce import/export suite making "duplications" in the library, but not on the server. Anyway, the instructions are not clear on the "fetching." What do I do after I fetch the processed images? Do I have to upload them to the server? What will Pro Smush do with photos that don't really exist? That seemed to cause huge errors with the Imsanity plugin.
Thanks in advance.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kim,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Our WP Smush Pro will automatically fetch the images after smushing, so you do not need to download them manually. The file names and all relationships (such as image URL or its placement inside the content) will not be changed. In case of large volumes of images though you may want to perform the process "in parts".

To do this simply go to your dashboard's "Media Library" -> "WP Smush" page and start smushing. Plugin will upload images to our servers, optimize them and download on the fly so in case the process would hang up, you may just repeat the procedure and it should continue from where it stopped.

As for images that do not "really exist". The plugin will only work with images that physically exist in your Media Library. It will not fetch and process images from external sources and those that are located outside of the Media Library.

If you have any further questions, let me know please and I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Kim

Well, the ONLY reason I purchased this was to bulk smush, because I do NOT want to smush 1 by 1 from the media library, as I tried to do with free version. That is very time consuming. I don't understand the point of bulk smashing if it's better for me to do it 1 by 1. Please explain what could happen if I bulk smush. It stands to reason if you don't have many images, you don't need bulk smush.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Kim!

Well, the ONLY reason I purchased this was to bulk smush, because I do NOT want to smush 1 by 1 from the media library, as I tried to do with free version. That is very time consuming.

It seems that I caused some confusion with my answer, I'm sorry for that. Let me then please explain then.

How does the WP Smush Pro work?

Apart from manual smushing ("1 by 1"/on demand) it features two modes:

1. Smushing upon image upload:

This works in background and an image is optimized once it's uploaded to your Media Library; that's fully automatic.

2. Bulk smushing:

Any time you'd like to "bulk smush" images you may go to your dashboard's "Media Library" -> "WP Smush" page and if there are any not-optimized-yet images you'll see a button that will let you run "bulk smushing". Once you start the process, there's no need to take any further actions except keeping the page open in a browser;

- plugin will fetch images from your Media Library
    - will then upload them to our servers
    - and fetch them back to your site

This is also fully automatic and you do not have to perform any "1 by 1" smushing here.

I don't understand the point of bulk smashing if it's better for me to do it 1 by 1. Please explain what could happen if I bulk smush. It stands to reason if you don't have many images, you don't need bulk smush.

I've suggested smushing in "parts", meaning running the process described above (#2) and repeating it only in case it gets stuck at some point. The only reason for this is because you said that there's a lot of big images. That said, I'm aware of some cases where server (because of its settings) just prevented "bulk smushing" from being completed "in one pass", therefore requiring starting the process again. Most of the times it's not necessary though, so you should be perfectly fine with "bulk smushing".

I have another question. I starting smashing in the media library. Why do some say Super Smush" and some just say "smush now"? Does that mean they don't all super smush?

The "super-smush" is an additional option that enables lossy optimization. "Standard" smushing is based on some algorithms that decrease file size without decreasing image quality. If "super-smush" option is enabled optimization of an image, in terms of file size, will be better but there's a chance that the quality of an image may be also noticeably decreased.

I hope this helps!

If you have any further questions on this, please ask and I'll be glad to assist!

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Kim

Thanks for your explanation. I was afraid to bulk smush and i and to get this done yesterday so I went page by page and it took me 4 hours. I understand the difference in super smush and just smush.I guess my question was not clear. What I don't understand is this: I had enabled super smush, yet some of the pics had the super smush button and some just the smush it button. After about page 50, ALL the buttons said "smush it" even though I had enabled "super smush." Why is this? I really wanted super smush because we are likely to have 5000 images. A little loss of image quality is not a concern. Overall, I reduced about 25%, but my site is still dragging a little. Most pages are loading in 1-2 seconds but the image heavy pages are taking as long as 3-4 seconds, which is not good. I have enabled caching and DB optimize. I intend to leverage browser caching and enable Gzip compression as well, but I wanted to get all theses image optimized. In spite of instructions to the client to compress the pics beforehand, about half of them were not; thus I am left holding the bag for a slow site.
    Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kim!

I was afraid to bulk smush and i and to get this done yesterday so I went page by page and it took me 4 hours.

I can understand this but let me assure you that there's no significant difference between manual and bulk smushing except in case of the latter one you do not need to click that many buttons. That's a secure process.

What I don't understand is this: I had enabled super smush, yet some of the pics had the super smush button and some just the smush it button.

This is because the process is actually called "smushing" so the default button always says "Smush". The default options for WP Smush Pro plugin are:

- "Auto-Smush images on upload": ON
    - "Super-Smush images": OFF

Therefore once the plugin is installed all the images uploaded from this moment are automatically smushed but not "super smushed".

If you then go to your Media Library you will see that there's only a "Smush" button available for images that were uploaded before the plugin was enabled.

That said, if you now enable the "super-smush" option the "smush" button is there but also the "super smush" button appears for those images only that were already smushed but not super-smushed from the beginning. I know this sounds complicated and I hope I didn't drive you into confusion anymore.

1-2 seconds but the image heavy pages are taking as long as 3-4 seconds, which is not good. I have enabled caching and DB optimize. I intend to leverage browser caching and enable Gzip compression as well, but I wanted to get all theses image optimized. In spite of instructions to the client to compress the pics beforehand, about half of them were not; thus I am left holding the bag for a slow site.

I've visited your "CROSSVILLE TILE..." site (hopefully this is the one in qustion) and I think there's some more steps that could be done, although it would require a manual intervention. For example on your "Wine Wednesday..." page there's an "invitation" image. The image dimensions are set to 600 x 506 pixels but an image itself is 1024 x 863 pixels.

On "Inspiration Galleries - Living room" page there are images of a maximum size set via CSS to 880 x 880 pixels, yet those images are actually of 1500 x 1500 pixels size which is nearly twice as much as allowed size.

I think resizing/cropping these images would significantly affect your site's performance.

That being said, WordPress lets you set maximum width and height of an image but it doesn't resize the images on upload and an original image remains accessible. Since resizing all those images manually may be also a time consuming task, I think you may want to give this plugin a try:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bulk-resize-media/

It should perform a bulk resizing for you and also take care of any future uploads. I would however strongly recommend to create a backup of an entire /upload/ folder of your site first or better yet of an entire site. As this is a live site, it's always good to take security precautions just in case something went wrong.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.