Bulk uploads, updates and short term promotions.

Maybe I am missing something but is it possible to bulk-upload product definitions into MarketPress?

If it is, it would be a great help because even 100 products takes some time to set up. I include uploading the images, prices, sale price, stock level, SKU, URL for downloadables etc etc. 1000 items begins to be a week’s work of clicking.

Also updating present information so that, if the product already exists, the old one is archived (rather than trashed) and a new one added.

Add also an expiry date so that sales promotions could be prepared, uploaded and stopped.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Although there is no bulk add feature built in to MarketPress you could look at using the standard import feature of WordPress.

You’d simply need to create your own WordPress XML file with the appropriate information and then import it. If you’re comfortable doing so, you could even generate the file from a spreadsheet.

As for updating, you can use the standard Bulk Edit feature in WordPress to edit some of the meta data for a number of products.

I’m going to move this to feature requests in the meantime to see what appeal a bulk import feature has.

Cheers!

Phil

• Loggy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I’v had a look at an XML file of the products exported by WP which is an extended RSS format.

Would I need all the stuff at the beginning or just the information between the <item></item> tags (as well as the <xml at the top of course)? ie do I really need the <rss><channel> information that contains the items?

And it strikes me that we require only certain ones as some of the tags will be generated when the product is uploaded.

So what fields are actually required?

There is a CSV Importer plugin. Could that be customised? It is fundamentally for importing posts of course so by defining the fields as custom fields (ie no csv_ in the field name)

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Yep – you will need all the <rss><channel> parts – without those it won’t be valid RSS and you’ll get an error.

You’re best bet would be to do a small export and copy that….

Then you can also check the validity of the file before you use it by running it through the W3C Validator.

You could also look at copying the WP e-Commerce importer tool and customising that to create a CSV importer too…

Cheers,

Phil

• Loggy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@phil

I did a small export to see what it looked like. So it is an RSS feed into the site that is mainly used for dumping and restoring a site.

I was looking for something like a .csv upload which seems to me to be the cleanest way of doing things. As it is, I would need to keep a parallel list of post ids (as posts masquerade as products). Not many users will want – or be able – to spend time generating swathes of XML I think.

Any shop which is not a hobby is likely to have 1000’s of lines so I think a proper .csv or .xls upload would be a great addition. People are familiar with that.

A quick plugin or customisation based on the CSV Importer would be the obvious way to go, as long as a new post id is generated. But this may not be robust to updates to MarketPress – so it really needs to come from you guys!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.