Business Blog Theme

We're pleased to announce the release of Business Blog today.

Business Blog is the perfect blogging theme for the perfect blogging platform that is WordPress. Whether you just want to blog for your business, personally or you want to build a community around your blog using BuddyPress, Business Blog delivers great functionality.

Business Blog is based on the design of one of the top WordPress, Wordpress multisite and BuddyPress blogs – wpmu.org.

Here's some of the amazing features:

- Set various titles: RSS, news
- Set front category
- Adverts - set an image, link and title for adverts on your site
- Useful links - set the title, description and link
- RSS feeds - automatically place 5 RSS feeds and show their latest posts just enter the feed
- Add text to your BuddyPress panel
- Blog / news template
- Threaded comments styling
- CSS3 non image gradient navigation - reverts to just blocked on non supporting browsers
- Custom logo - set image, square logo and text or just text
- Create your own colours - use a simple colour picker or select a font from the drop down to change links, headers and other global features.
- Join now feature - create a custom join now block with message and set the link
- Post thumbnails
- WordPress 3.0 menus
- Drop down menus - automatically appear if you have multiple levels in top navigation
- Parent and child theme
- Works for WordPress, Multisite and with or without BuddyPress

You can get it right here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/business-blog-theme

You can view the demo right here: http://themetastic.com/?wptheme=Businesss%20Blog

We hope you enjoy this theme and look forward to seeing what you've created.

VestedMediaGroup

Great.. how and where am I able to change the mouse over buttons from the default blue/grey to something else?

I already attempted to go through the style.css, but it would be nice to have documentation for customization. I had the impression from the description this would be available in the admin, but it only changed some aspects of the colour scheme, leaving the button defaults still intact.

Thanks,

Tammie

@VestedMediaGroup: Do you mean the navigation? You have to create css styles to do that. I'd recommend you put them in the child theme. Here are the classes you want to change.

.nav a, .nav a:visited, .nav a:link {
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: none;
    display: block;
    padding: 8px 10px;
    font-size: 14px;
    margin: 0;
    -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
    -moz-border-radius: 10px;
    background: #dddddd; /* for non-css3 browsers */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#ffffff', endColorstr='#dddddd'); /* for IE */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(#ffffff), to(#dddddd)); /* for webkit browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #ffffff, #dddddd); /* for firefox 3.6+ */
    color: #444;
    border: solid 1px #bbbbbb;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .2);
    -moz-box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .2);
    box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .2);
    text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(255, 255, 255, .8);
    }
    /* main level link hover */
    .nav .current a, .nav li:hover > a, .nav li.current_page_item a {
    background: #d1d1d1; /* for non-css3 browsers */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#ebebeb', endColorstr='#a1a1a1'); /* for IE */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(#ebebeb), to(#a1a1a1)); /* for webkit browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #ebebeb, #a1a1a1); /* for firefox 3.6+ */
    font-style: normal;
    color: #ffffff;
    border: solid 1px #aaaaaa;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .2);
    -moz-box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .2);
    box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .2);
    text-shadow: 0 1px 0 #111111;
    }
    /* sub levels link hover */
    .nav ul li:hover a, .nav li:hover li a {
    background: none;
    border: none;
    color: #666;
    -webkit-box-shadow: none;
    -moz-box-shadow: none;
    }
    .nav ul a:hover {
    background: #0399d4 !important; /* for non-css3 browsers */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#04acec', endColorstr='#0186ba'); /* for IE */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(#04acec), to(#0186ba)) !important; /* for webkit browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #04acec, #0186ba) !important; /* for firefox 3.6+ */

color: #fff !important;
    -webkit-border-radius: 0;
    -moz-border-radius: 0;
    text-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, .1);
    }
    /* level 2 list */
    .nav ul {
    background: #ddd; /* for non-css3 browsers */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#ffffff', endColorstr='#cfcfcf'); /* for IE */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(#fff), to(#cfcfcf)); /* for webkit browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #fff, #cfcfcf); /* for firefox 3.6+ */

display: none;
    padding: 0;
    width: 185px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 35px;
    left: 0;
    border: solid 1px #b4b4b4;
    -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
    -moz-border-radius: 10px;
    border-radius: 10px;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3);
    -moz-box-shadow: 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3);
    box-shadow: 0 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3);
    }
    /* dropdown */
    .nav li:hover > ul {
    }
    .nav ul li {
    float: none;
    padding: 0;
    }
    .nav ul a {
    font-weight: normal;
    text-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(255, 255, 255, .9);
    }
    /* level 3+ list */
    .nav ul ul {
    left: 181px;
    top: -3px;
    }
    /* rounded corners for first and last child */
    .nav ul li:first-child > a {
    -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 9px;
    -moz-border-radius-topleft: 9px;
    -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 9px;
    -moz-border-radius-topright: 9px;
    }
    .nav ul li:last-child > a {
    -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 9px;
    -moz-border-radius-bottomleft: 9px;
    -webkit-border-bottom-right-radius: 9px;
    -moz-border-radius-bottomright: 9px;
    }
    /* clearfix */
    .nav:after {
    content: ".";
    clear: both;
    visibility: hidden;
    line-height: 0;
    height: 0;
    }

You can use firebug to test changes before setting them if you want:

http://buddydress.com/2010/06/firebug-installing-discovering-and-using-the-tutorial/

Aphrodite

copy from top :

ok I think I am a... well dont know the word....
    /me hiding far far far from here....
    didnt understood this option a bit confusing. Thought it was for the RSS thread instead of the fetured category to display.

Works... sorry about that bump question but the option pannel was really confusing.

Now other trouble in fact the post are shown 2 times though : in the featured top box AND in the post list above

Aphrodite

well :

I have a post in cat 1 and opne in cat 2

Both appears in the global list, the cat1 in the feature box. Suppose it is the way it works and because for the moment i just have 2 test posts.

For the thumb yes : we cannot make a link on thumbs no ? so : the first image (in that case the wpmudev image+affiliate link ^^) is on top left of the post. But not in thumbnail.

So wanted to know if the theme could grab the first image of the post as thumbnail as it seems impossible tu use a web image as thumb, it must be saved on the server

Tammie

@Aphrodite: I'm sorry still confused - you set a featured category and then you have the bottom section showing latest posts. The thumbnail is called in feature-header.php (library/components/feature-header.php):

<?php if(function_exists('the_post_thumbnail')) { ?><?php if(get_the_post_thumbnail() != &quot;&quot;) { ?><div class=&quot;alignleft&quot;><br />
    	<?php the_post_thumbnail(); ?></div><?php } } ?>

If I understand you correctly you want to add a link to that for the post? If so you'd have to add a link there around the image just like it's there for the title:

<h1><a>&quot; rel=&quot;bookmark&quot; title=&quot;<?php the_title(); ?>&quot;><?php the_title(); ?></a></h1>

However, I'm not sure this is what you want as you say different thumbnails.. it basically uses the featured image function to ensure ease. I haven't a clue what you mean by wpmu dev affiliate image - perhaps you could provide a link? It's hard for me to see what you have in front of you

Aphrodite

ok

http://wordpress-blogs.net/niouses/wpmudev/

this is not the featured image, it is just an image in the post. The trouble is that it does not appear as featured image in the featured post box.

If I set up a featured image with that, i CANNOT make a link on it so i will have to put another image in the post with the link I want. In that precise case the affiliate link.

It would be so simple IF we can add a link to the featured image. Found many hack to do so, but hardcoded, so not usable on multisite.

That would be a great idea for a plugin letting us just "add link to thumbnail" with the option "_blank" or "_parent"

Abouts post you can see on the site that the post is in the featured category and appear in the last post box. But still have only 2 posts so it is perhaps normal

VestedMediaGroup

I finally identified the exact issue. Bad coding.

In the coding of the theme you have the following in:

business-blog/library/components/buddypress/buddypress-panel.php

class="button logoff"

That is an invalid class assignment. There is no 'logoff' class anywhere. I removed it so it was just button.

Next, there was also no a.button:link specified within the css. So the link colour would match whatever the default link for the entire theme was. Really looks ugly if you are trying to change to different colour scheme.

Sorry but I didn't want to provide a link to be publicly viewable in a forum filled with webmasters. A ticket system would have been acceptable though.

Small detail that I wasted hours trying to figure out.

Tammie

@VestedMediaGroup: Actually it's not bad coding or invalid you can assign 2 classes and that is what is being done here. CSS doesn't only work for one class however most only think it does. The logoff is if you want to add your own off class therefore totally valid and was put there at user request.

You do not have to do a button:link that works fine on IE 8 but won't on IE 6 - are you testing in IE 6 as we don't support that? If not perhaps something else is going on and I would have been happy to test and fix but you say you've got a solution now. I'd be checking to see if any other classes are interacting maybe though from plugins. I'm sorry you wasted hours but we would have been happy to review and there are other methods that would have worked for you than that.

I would appreciate it if you didn't accuse us of bad coding without checking as I am sure you understand that's quite the accusation which is very obviously unfounded. In the future just say don't want to provide link and can I send one in and I will happily do it that way to get a solution so you don't have to spend hours and it's the right solution.

Maybe also see if you're on the latest version would be an idea as perhaps you are not and we have updated that theme since release.

VestedMediaGroup

Fair enough... I know that is how you assign two classes to a div, but I just could not find any sign of a 'logoff' class in the CSS anywhere.. that to me makes it coding issue. Nothing to get personal able, just a spot missed.

I have made so many custom modifications that could not be handled just through the child theme alone that I am afraid to do an upgrade now.. unless there have been some significant improvements in being able to better customize it from the admin without digging in the code so much.. that would be great and might make upgrading worthwhile.

Tammie

@VestedMediaGroup: As I said when you claim bad coding we have to comment and it's not missed. Hmmm what couldn't be done through the child theme? In my experience nothing can't apart from maybe your own options and some core stuff but have you done that? Lets see if we can help you with getting it all onto the child theme for safe upgrading. What have you custom edited so I can advise please. We'd strongly recommend you are able to upgrade as new BuddyPress / WordPress versions can change core things we have to update for you or problems could occur and it's all part of our service while you are a member that we update our themes.

VestedMediaGroup

Well.. this little edit was one that was in the core files.

The featured post at the top I replaced with the display of the Posts per Cat plugin. I had to remove the entire featured-post area to replace it.

Now that I went back to the code.. I think that was all I did actually. ... rest was in the child css..

Is there any chance for the RSS feeds and links at the bottom that this can be expanded to more than just 5?

the 'more articles' for the front page.. can that be expanded to more than just 8.. is that a theme setting or a buddypress one?

Thanks... I'm still working on it.. so maybe I will come across some other stuff.

VestedMediaGroup

Ok.. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out so I need to post this.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a custom plugin being used on the home page.

It displays a category title and as many post titles as I want.

I have the title set as an H2 and then it links to the category.

However, I have tried both in the child theme as well as within the CSS plugin, which doesn't have any specifications for the link style, to attempt to create a different style from the default site wide style set by the theme.

No matter what I put in, I can't get the style to show. I never tried to get right into the program and manually enter a class with the A tag it generates for the link. While it loads up on the site, firebug still displays the themes system wide defaults.

These categories and posts are displayed within its own div tags for the styling. I haven't had trouble editing the styles within the program to get it better matching the theme. However, getting the header H2 Link, and the list of links to posts to set a custom colour has been impossible.

How can I get it done in this theme?

Thanks.

VestedMediaGroup

Ok.. support X 2

Decided to load my site into IE and I am getting this error:

Object doesn't support this property or method
    Line: 1209
    Char: 4
    Code: 0

Not a lot of help.. so I started looking for Object codes.. which of course leads to the javascript. The only file I found that had this much code in it was

/home/root/wp-content/themes/business-blog/library/scripts/jquery.js

line 1209 contained the following:

var elems = (i > 0 ? this.clone(true) : this).get();

This seems related to the dropdown menus.

Suggestions?

Tammie

@VestedMediaGroup: First up I can't really diagnose a javascript error without seeing a link - I am sure you understand but that could be so many things it makes knowing virtually impossible. It is not the menus in this theme unless you've done some changes. I also do not get an error on my test installs therefore it's a situation on your site. As with anyone I'd say turn off all plugins and add one by one (keeping buddypress if you use it). Test with each addition. Do the same for custom code.

As for your other issues...

You would have to change the number of RSS feeds and that is quite the code adjustment I'd only recommend if you are experienced in coding PHP and theme options. Again for the front page this can be done though under library/components/feature-content.php you will find this line:

<?php
    // exclude the featured category and the list of latest offset
    query_posts('cat=-'. $category_ID . '&posts_per_page=10&offset=1'); ?>

As you see it is set to 10 not 8 so I'm a little puzzled what you do mean.

If you have replaced with a plugin though I can't advise what you should do as you already said you are using a plugin.

If you need to change a class and it is a link but you do not want the link colour you would need to look at either a link style (that would go throughout that class call) or a localised inherited call (just that instance of the class).

ie:

h2 a, h2 a:link, h2 a:visited{}
    h2 a:hover{}

or

.posttitle h2 a, .posttitle h2 a:link, .posttitle h2 a:visited{}
    .posttitle h2 a:hover{}

Whilst I get that you do not want to the site to be viewed by all you really have to understand I can't judge a site that could have any one of a lot plugins, custom code and changes. Therefore you are limiting the advice I can provide.

I will say you should be starting new threads as this is a release of the theme thread not one for issues you are having. It makes following things and supporting far easier.

Tammie

@Qlof: If possible we do prefer a new thread for a new question - helps not create monster threads of unrelated confusion

That said you can just use poedit and then change the following function in functions.php:

function init_localization( $locale ) {
    return "en_EN";
    }
    // Uncomment add_filter below to test your localization, make sure to enter the right language code.
    // add_filter('locale','init_localization');

if( function_exists( 'load_theme_textdomain' ) ) {
    load_theme_textdomain(TEMPLATE_DOMAIN, DEVLIB . '/languages/');
    }

GilbertCattoire

The problem:

The Business Blog theme is sold as both a BP theme and a WP theme - but automatically turns into a BP theme if BP is installed. Can't use it as a theme for a user blog in such a case.
    As is, it improperly fetches the BP navigation menu (broken links in Activity, Members, Groups, Forums, Blogs, etc...)
    Tough luck.

"You shouldn’t be using a BP theme on a sub blog", that is what you usually get for an answer but that's not the point here: I want those BP nav links in sub blogs. In an elegant way.
    And I believe I'm not the only one.
    BP is community oriented, and by default a user blog should include BP navigation.

The solution:

So, how do I strip the subdomain from a user's blog BP nav links to get the proper BP nav with the business blog theme.

By hardcoding full URLs? Ugly.
    That defeats the purpose of having a dynamic navigation menu.

Another option: using the switch_to_blog function.

1. Open the buddypress-navigation.php file, located in the business-blog/library/component/buddypress directory

2. add <?php switch_to_blog('1') ?> right under <ul class="nav">

3. add <?php restore_current_blog(); ?> right under <?php do_action( 'bp_nav_items' ); ?>

Check the result with a user blog (using the business blog theme, of course).

Enjoy.
    Should work with any BP theme.

Tammie

@GilbertCattoire: Thank you for your solution which will work if you know what blog is root / have it fixed and you want to go that route. Doesn't remove theme options sadly or stop there being BuddyPress bits 'on'. You'd have to do a little more work to do that. If possible though could you start a new thread for a new subject (I understand you're new to the forum so that is cool you did it this time and hi as it helps to keep things on topic. For instance, others may find this useful but now it's lost in this thread when it sort of relates to more themes Again thanks for your code and glad it worked for you as a solution and maybe it will help others also.