Business Feature Theme & Membership Plugin Issues

Hello!
I am using the BUSINESS FEATURE THEME & Memebership plug in. I am going to build my site around this theme. I am having a problem and I would like to use this forum as a continued way to ask questions specific to my problem to help keep track. My site is parttimeselling.com

BIG PROBLEM: Site is only appears with firefox on my PC. Chrome and IE on my PC, it loads to a blank white page as well as safari on my iPhone.

First Problem. Top right of the page on the gray tab that says 100% Moneyback Guarantee. Shy of hard coding, can I do anything with this area aside add text to it?

Second. How do I add the log in/log out button for the membership plugin?

More to come, but this is good for now.
thanks!

• tbennett04
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Do you have access to the code? On the root of your wordpress install you can turn on error reporting by setting define('WP_DEBUG', false) to define('WP_DEBUG', true)

edit: Sorry the file is wp-config.php and that code is around line 80.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@JasonG

What @tbennett04 is trying to do is debug your site (find out what is causing the error). A white screen is usually a hidden error.

However, if I view your sites source, the site is loading perfectly, you just can't see it. This tells me that it is a style issue etc

What changes have you made?

I don't know the code of this theme, perhaps wait for the theme developer or one of the support staff.
    But the best place to start is where you added / changed code?

• JasonG
    • Flash Drive

Hello
    I havnt changed any hard code at all. I simply loaded the theme, hence then my problems. I have only made changes to the content itself.

If I activate the 2011 theme, it works fine in all browsers. Activate the Business Feature theme and it only works on Firefox.

Appreciate the help!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi JasonG,

I can't seem to replicate the issue, could you let us know first off, which versions of WordPress and the Business Feature theme you're using? Are you by any chance using BuddyPress as well?

If you haven't tried already, could you deactivate any plugins you have to see if there's a conflict there?

Also, could I maybe get a link to the site to see how that's looking?

Thanks,
    David

• JasonG
    • Flash Drive

No problem
    Wordpress 3.2.1
    Business Feature 2.1

I am not using buddypress

The only plugin I have is Membership. I deactivated and tried it again with IE, Chrome, same results, blank page even with a hard refresh. The issue appears to revolve around the theme itself.

The site is parttimeselling.com

• Jonathan

@JasonG,

Sorry to get back to you so late, family, supper and all that. Glad to see @DavidM dropped by. He is a super awesome dude - very knowledgeable indeed :wink:

Just had another quick look and I think I found what could be the issue.
    Seems a css file isn't closed off correctly.

<style type='text/css' media='screen'>a, a:link{
    	color: #CE4105;
    }

a:hover{
    	color: #79A411;
    }

a:visited{
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc
    #intro-text p a {
    		color: #ffffff;
    	}<script type="text/javascript">

So it isn't closed properly. Now to trace which plugin is loading this css file. We need to find what is loading the file so that we can close the code bit off properly :wink:

It Seems like a custom css file of sorts with link colors etc.
    Let me download the theme and check if it is loading those styles?
    I'll be back.

Edit: Okay had a quick look and this add on styles isn't from the theme. Scratches head.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

First up 2.1 Business Feature is designed to work on BuddyPress 1.5 and unless I'm mistaken membership may not have had an update yet for that. I would guess this is your issue based on that assumption.

If this is the case though you will find the membership will get updated shortly so until then we'd not recommend it is used on a BuddyPress 1.5 site.

Our themes are not backwards compatible if you are trying to use it on a lower than 1.5 BuddyPress site again this could be your issue.

• Jonathan

Woot! Found the problem.

@DavidM, @WPMUDEV Staff, edit: @Tammie :wink:

Please check / fix this: Functions File: 70

if($get_current_scheme == 'default.css') {
     print "<style type='text/css' media='screen'>";
     include (get_template_directory() . '/library/options/theme-options.php');
    }

Need to close it </style>

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I don't think that was the only issue infact I'm sure it wasn't. As I said membership wasn't updated either what you found would not have caused a white screen and sorry to say but it didn't in my installation testing.

I've just done some other adjustments including that one to 2.1.1 but as said until ALL your plugins are updated we do stress we can't guess the results and would not recommend using them. I understand it's hard to not upgrade it's such a cool update to BuddyPress it truly is. However, in the long run waiting for updates is going to mean far less headaches.

• Jonathan

I don't think that was the only issue infact I'm sure it wasn't

Um? it most definitely causes a blank screen - just tested it. Who would of thought that not correctly closing off a style could result in a white screen. lol Guess we learn something everyday :wink:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Not on all installations as I said. However as I also said we've updated a few other things and this was one of them so a bit of a side point.

Also my point about membership really needs to not be hidden sorry but it's important one that could be causing far more issues even if the </style> is there.

@JasonG: Sorry I think you are confused the theme has just been updated please try that however with BuddyPress 1.5 and not with membership yet as that's not updated.

Then we can see where we are at and hopefully we're at a happy successful place :slight_smile:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I actually said don't edit anything as you can get the theme update but no problem there are a lot of voices and I want to find a solution without confusion.

If you can get the latest theme and try it please.

I would also suggest you don't run a live site using debug true. So turn that off if you have it on it's more for a 'oh dear what's going on check than to run at all times'.

• Jonathan

@Tammie,

Sorry if I'm stepping on toes :slight_frown: I was just trying to solve one issue at a time.
    Issue one fix the white screen.
    Issue two - handle that after fixing issue one - lol.

Guys suck at multi-tasking :wink:

@JasonG,

Tammie is super gifted and obviously way ahead of me. She has your back :wink:
    I Agree, debug mode is a not a good idea on live sites.
    Now that the smart people have arrived - I'll take my leave...

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Jonathan: Not at all I just know updating can be confusing and trying to help with this without making it too voice heavy. It's great when people help that's entire happy point of our forums :slight_smile:

I'm just seeing the longer picture that we need to make sure all plugins and everything is set - one thing can be solved but a whole barrel of ugly monkey things be behind (I tend to see those monkeys :grinning:.

• JasonG
    • Flash Drive

Just deleted the old theme and i am ftping the new one as I type this
    Not sure if this is related, but my godaddy hosting wont take any theme uploads via wordpress anymore. I need to ftp them. Godaddy says its a temp glitch.

• JasonG
    • Flash Drive

Cool, working on Chrome & IE too, thank you VERY much!

Do I need buddypress active for this to run? I know little about it and not sure I need it & want to disable it for now.
    I am not in love with Godaddy. Would it make sense to get a different hosting account level with them or use another hosting provider?

Follow up to some other questions....

First Problem. Top right of the page on the gray tab that says 100% Moneyback Guarantee. Shy of hard coding, can I do anything with this area aside add text to it?

Second. How do I add the log in/log out button for the membership plugin?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I'd not recommend going to another level with a company you aren't happy with :slight_smile:

I'm sorry 100% Moneyback Guarantee.. that's not in the theme so a little confused?

For the other one you would need to start a new thread to not get lost in this one. We ideally have threads for plugins and themes and for each issue. It helps keep our support staff sane and us to provide a prompt service for you.

That said as I said please check membership works for BuddyPress 1.5 as I do not think it does yet (if you are using it). You do not have to use it for our themes.

• JasonG
    • Flash Drive

I'm sorry 100% Moneyback Guarantee.. that's not in the theme so a little confused?

Check out my page, parttimeselling.com
    I put the text there (Top right), but I am not sure if putting text there is all I can do with this theme?

What hosting company do you suggest?

thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.