>> Cache Plugin or else ?

I would like to know how can I do to speed up a multisite because its too long
- I have hummingbird defender but web site is bad to visit
How can I do to have a splash loading ?
thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Laurent_C,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Defender plugin is for security rather than performance but Hummingbird should help. You will want to make sure that minification is allowed and configured for all the sites of the network though.

There's however a lot of other aspects here so let me name just a few most important:

1. Image optimization

Images, especially on Multisite where different users run their sub-sites, can be a huge burden as users often upload directly quite a big files. The WP Smush Pro would help you optimize them:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/#

2. WordPress memory limit

The default limit of a PHP memory that WordPress can use is usually 40 or 64M which is way to low for the complex Multisite. In order to increase it please go to the "Network Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support" page and click on the "System info" button. In the "PHP" tab there's the "memory_limit" value so note it down (I'll use 256M below but replace it with the value you read from there).

Then add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

3. Plugins

a) Review your plugins and make sure that all that you don't use across your network are disabled. Often there are active plugins that were e.g. tested or used in the past and they eat up resources. Make sure that there's no single one unnecessary plugin active on the site.

b) Review the plugins against their features; often there are complex plugins installed while only a single feature of them is used; many of them may be replaced by simpler/lighter versions and/or by a simple piece of code in "functions.php" file of a theme and/or added as "MU (Must Use) plugin".

4. Since I do not know your site, I'm not sure if that is relevant but consider going for a custom developed themes instead of using complex premium themes with tens of layouts and features built in.

5. Implement full-site caching;

Hummingbird enabled browser-side caching but that's not the same as server-side performed "full-site" caching. I would recommend setting up a WP Super Cache or Batcache plugin and it should significantly speed up the site. Make sure though that if you are using Hummingbird with Minification enabled, any minification features in these plugins are disabled so that wouldn't "double".

6. Adding up a CDN in front of the site would also be a great idea. CouldFlare can be also integrated with Hummingbird so that should work really fine for you.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam