Caching in Wordpress, Voice theme

In my Performance Report, How to Improve section it says, "Install and configure a full page caching plugin like WP Super Cache or Batcache. "

However I have already enabled browser caching in WP Hummingbird.

Should I enable both WP Super Cache and browser caching in WP Hummingbird or just one of them? If just one, which one will be best?

Thanks!

Tim

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tim,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There are different type of cache. The one that Hummingbird enables is the "browser cache". That means that plugin tells the browser to keep some content locally on visitors computer and as a result site loads faster because some resources are loaded directly from users hard drive instead of being fetched from the server.

However, those resources that are not loaded from that local cache (from user's computer) or when there's a need to "re-build" that cache and fetch entire site again from the server here's what happens:

browser calls the server and asks for the page ->
    WordPress has to dynamically build that entire page and that means reading a lot of files, fetching a lot of data from the database and putting it all together ->
    then it sends the page back to the user browser

This takes time and resources that is where that second type of cache comes to the play. It is a "full page cache" suggested by Hummingbird plugin. What it does it that when it receives a request for content, it checks if it has to build up that content (see above) or if there's already a "ready to use" content (a complete webpage saved on server's drive in a single file) available. If it is, it serves it. As a result it speeds up communication a lot because WordPress doesn't have to call database that many times, fetch that many files and process it all in order to build up the content for the user.

That kind of cache is not built into the Hummingbird and that's why it suggests using WP Super Cache or Batcache.

I hope that explains things a bit :slight_smile:

As for using these caches. I would suggest following solution:

1. Keep "Browser Cache" in Hummingbird enabled
    2. install one of the plugin's suggested by Hummingbird, enable and configure it
    3. Just make sure that if there's a "Browser Caching" option available in settings of that plugin, it is disabled so it was enabled only in Hummingbird.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.