Caching with Hummingbird & W3 Total Cache

Hey,
I'm using Cloudways as host, who use Apache in front of nginx.

I can't configure nginx.conf, but I can add caching rules to .htaccess. I added the browser caching snippet from Hummingbird to .htaccess, but the plugin still says it's not running properly.

In .htaccess I also saw code from W3 Total Cache, might that be interfering with Hummingbird? Which one should I use?

Thanks,
Jan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Just to make sure: isn't it that they are using nginx in front of Apache and not otherwise? That'd be quite common setup for performance improvement :slight_smile: In such case you should indeed use Apache's rules and put them into the ".htaccess" file of the site.

You may however be right about W3 Total Cache if browser caching is enabled there as well. There shouldn't be the same option enabled for both of the plugins. I"m not able to tell that though with 100% certainty before examining your site. Would you mind granting me a support access to it then so I could take a closer look?

Here's the guide on how this can be done:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I just noticed that the minification settings can't be changed for singular sites. I cannot deactivate minification. I also can't exclude files from minification or being combined, neither file-by-file nor bulk

The minification feature on Multisite can be used "per-site". Actually, it's the only available feature that can be configured for each of sub-sites separately. However, you need to access these settings via these sub-sites dashboards directly ("Hummingbird" menu item in sub-site dashboard) and not via Network Admin. The plugin has to be network-enabled.

Also, please check the "Network Admin -> Hummingbird -> Dashboard" page -> "Minification" section to make sure that it's allowed for sub-sites first. Take a look at screenshot below:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.