Calendar shortcode not showing Next/Prev Month links

I have the calendar displaying on a page via the [eab_calendar] shortcode, and it's showing up with my events, but there is no navigation link or way to choose a different month. Is the shortcode supposed to include this?

• aecnu

Greetings dwood7399,

Thank you for the great question.

The first thing one should so before submitting a ticket is to be sure to be running the most current version which is in this case version 1.5.2 which avoids spinning our (members and support staff) wheels over something that may have already been addressed.

In regards to a direct answer to your question, is there any chance you have activated the Default to all Events extra located in the events settings section?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn

Goodday @dwood7399 and @aecnu.

I started following this thread last night and installed the plugin myself (after downloading the latest version from WPMUDev) because I'll be using it on a project later this week. I discovered the same issues the @dwood7399 found. When I use the shortcode in a page, it only shows the current month's calendar - but doesn't tell you which month is showing. Also, there are NO <Next> and <Previous> links as @dwood7399 noted above. I've included a screenshot with this post.

BTW, I'm running WP 3.5 and I tried it with Twenty-Ten, Twenty-Eleven, and Twenty-Twelve themes active. Still nothing. AND, I have NO OTHER plugins active at this time. I did activate some of the additional items for Events+, but nothing else. Wanted to make sure it couldn't be a plugin conflict.

Hope this is helpful to troubleshoot. I spent over two hours on it last night trying to figure it out to no avail.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• aecnu

Greetings Everyone,

Thank you for your input and you have activated the Default to all Events add on?

And it does not show up like on my test production server?

Both the month and previous next button at the bottom left?

I did not use a short code though and I chose to override default appearance.

So I thought to try the short code and do like the Romans are doing :stuck_out_tongue: and I got this:

http://events.aecnuwpmu.us/events-eab_calendar-short-code-test/

In which the Post Title would be where to designate the month like I have demonstrated above.

Then I thought that still does not get what I want.

So I started to play with it and found that when using short codes from this plugin the outer design is on the developer to make because it is just displaying the calender.

To make a calendar with short codes that shifts from month to month it is on you to design posts or pages using the short code supplying the title and the next and previous if there is one linking them yourself - similar to adding the title.

Here is the code for December 2012 = [eab_calendar date=12/01/2012]

And for November 2012 = [eab_calendar date=11/01/2012]

Hopefully this helps you folks develop your pages and if you were not using custom pages and or Posts to do this then you should not be using the shortcode at all and be indeed using the default Calendars as I have demonstrated above at the beginning of this post.

Please advise if this indeed gets one or more of you going.

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn

O.K. Joe. (@aecnu)

How did you get the calendar to display like it does at: http://events.aecnuwpmu.us/events/

That's what I was trying to do and I think everyone else is as well. If that's not using the shortcode, then how did you do it?

From the instructions, it seemed that the shortcode method was how you would accomplish that, so I'm obviously missing something. :wink:

Thanks.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• James Dunn

DUH!!!!

I was trying to create a page called "Events Calendar" and then put the shortcode in that to show the month.

O.K. Here's the deal for the uninitiated like me.

When you set up the "settings" screen, you will notice a place that says:

"Set your root slug here: / _____" - and if you put "events" in as your slug, then your calendar will AUTOMATICALLY display a month view if you go to:

http://yourdomain.com/events (replacing yourdomain with your domain name)

The Next/Previous will show up in the lower left corner of the calendar.

However, if you are using Twenty-Ten, then the calendar will NOT show up in the main body of your page but in the sidebar (assuming you have content/sidebar as your default page setting). There appears to be NO setting in events that will change that and give you the results that you want. I switched over to Twenty-Eleven and the calendar showed up just as Joe's calendar did.

Problem solved - for me anyway. It was more of a lack of understanding of how this worked than it was any type of fault in the plugin. The plugin works beautifully and now that I know how to set this up, I can roll with it.

Check it out guys and let us know if this works for you as well. I haven't tested it with the Genesis framework (what I work in mostly), but I will be doing that in the coming days.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• aecnu

Greetings James Dunn,

Thank you for letting me know and you are spot on what was causing your issues was indeed twenty ten which I heard has some coding issues to include with the newer WordPress versions.

But with each new Major update WordPress tends to send a newer theme.

Thank you James for posting your findings which should indeed be helpful to other members!

Cheers, Joe

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.