Calling all Buddypress experts, here is one for you

Im not sure if anyone knows the answer to this.

One thing that i have always had an issue with in buddypress is the fact when you hover over someones name it exposes usernames?

I am currently looking for 2 things.

1: The option to either remove @mention feature or make it use real names.

2: Disable the default nature of when you hover over the name of a member it exposes there username.

The second one is the one i would love work out most even for single wordpress installs to make them more secure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Difficult stuff for sure!

So while they can change their "Name" field to display whatever they like, the username is still pretty critical and used throughout BuddyPress. Even doing the 2 things you mention above there'd still be the matter of the URL that is used for the profile page which is also the username.

Anyway, we wrote an article a couple years ago on removing the @mention feature, though I'm not sure if it still works:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-how-to-remove-mentions-from-buddypress/

If that doesn't work, the only way to disable @mentions is to completely disable the Activity Streams from the BuddyPress Settings.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• Ashley Keable
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@masonjames

I didnt think it would be easy. What would be ideal is if i could force usernames to be email addresses like on facebook.

Just dont like the idea of people knowing others usernames as they half the puzzle so to speak.

Do you know anyway to make usernames email addresses instead?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Well, some thing about using email addresses would be
    1. This is possibly a privacy concern as the email addresses would then be exposed (which is also viewable by visitors/bots by default)

2 As the username is used in the URL, it will break anytime there's a "."

There's really no way around the use of the username for all of those things because of the way it's coded into BuddyPress. Maybe you could call the username something else?

You could then install a plugin that allows logins with email addresses and the users need not worry about the username.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-email-login/

I know that's still not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps works as an alternative?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.