Is Super Smush Image Compression working?

I've been testing Super Smush compared to standard smushing and noticed in 3 tests that the image file size is exactly the same and the image quality different is virtually negligible with the Super Smush.

Surely though, the file sizes should be different though with Super Smush being lower?

Is Super Smush not working correctly?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey SRH Design

Hope all is well with you and you are keeping fine !

This varies from image to image, some images by default have a lot of headroom for lossy compression while others are already optimized and Smush cant do much here.

Is this happening to multiple images on your site or something specific ? Can you share links to such images please ?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day !

Cheers
    Jude

• Simon
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Jude,

This was a test I ran on my local host with 3 completely different images.

Here are the stats:

Condition 1: Image File

Original Size: 13 MB

Original Dimensions: 5760 x 3480

WP Smush Pro - Normal

New Size: 258 KB

New Dimensions: 1920 x 1280

WP Smush Pro - Super Smush

New Size: 258 KB

Condition 2: Image File

Original Size: 13 MB

Original Dimensions: 5616 x 3744

WP Smush Pro - Normal

New Size: 294 KB

New Size: 294 KB

Condition 3: Image File

Original Size: 3 MB

Original Dimensions: 5514 x 3676

WP Smush Pro - Normal

New Size: 192 KB

New Size: 192 KB

Thanks,

Simon

• Simon

Hi Umesh,

Resize settings are 1920 x 9999 which produces the above results.

Beside Condition 1, 2 and 3 in my response above is a respective link called "Image File", it will take you to the respective image.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

Hi SRH Design,

Apologies for the extreme delay in response, was taken up by some urgent development work.

I was able to download the original images after login to dropbox, I tried the settings on my site.

The Super Smush does brings down the size for resized imaged by few Kbs on my setup.

Can you possibly enable the support access for the site, so that I can confirm if it's really not working for you. If it doesn't I'd debug it further on your site.

Cheers

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey again SRH Design

Would be cool of you could do that ! Also as an aside, in our tests with these images we noticed an almost negligible decrease in size, Im suspecting this is because of the images themselves. Other images give much better results.

Will be great if you can test with other random images too and see if this is the case for you too. As you can see here YMMV when it comes to lossy compression depending on the source image

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/file-compression3.htm

Jude

• Simon

Hi Jude,

I tested on a live site this time and there was definitely a difference in the compression this time. I used a different image for this test and strangely, the Super Smush image was actually slightly larger than the Normal Smush.

Image criteria:

Original Size: 5.8 MB

Original Dimensions: 4608 x 3456

WP Smush Pro - Normal

New Size: 122.5 KB

New Dimensions: 1405 x 1054

New Size: 124.2 KB

New Dimensions: 1405 x 1054

• Simon

Hi Luis,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

The image links are scattered throughout my responses above.

I have just run another test using these two images:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qnpykodth4as9e/Sliabh-Liag-Slieve-League-Cliffs-West-Donegal.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/noisb1e6z7cm83b/Sliabh-Liag-Slieve-League-Cliffs-West-Donegal%20-%20Copy.jpg?dl=0

The compression is exactly the same this time when using Smush and Super Smush.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Simon

Hi Umesh,

The current image sizes of 1405 x 1054px are the current and most up-to-date image sizes for this testing.

Apologies for the delayed response, I am just back to work from Paternity leave after the birth of my first child.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

Hey Simon,

I am just back to work from Paternity leave after the birth of my first child.

Congratulations! Hope things are good for you :slight_smile:

The current image sizes of 1405 x 1054px are the current and most up-to-date image sizes for this testing.

So, you've kept the resize settings to "1405 x 1054px" ?

• Umesh Kumar
    • Code Wrangler

Hey Simon,

Yeah, it seems for few images Super Smush is unable to squeeze anything out for other it works.

To confirm I tested it with other images you've linked earlier:

1. Two couples drinking tea and coffee was 184.6 KB with lossless and 147.1 KB with Lossy
    2. Medieval knight ( defining-freelance.jpeg ) 122.6 KB with Lossless and 102.2 KB with Lossy
    3. iStock_90487955_XXXLARGE.jpg 189.8 KB with Lossless and 156.7 KB with Lossy

For rest of the two images, Super Smush didn't have any extra savings. And that's totally dependent whether we can squeeze image any further while keeping it as good as possible.

I hope that clears this out.

Cheers, Umesh

• Simon

Hi Umesh,

Unfortunately, that doesn't clear things up as that would be expected behaviour with some images.

The issue throughout this ticket was that Super Smush images were actually larger than images that were just Smushed.

This ticket has literally been going on for over 3 months now, so I'm just going to close it and mark as resolved. ( Even though I don't think the issue is ). Thanks for trying to help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.