Can affiliate plug in be used for individual products?

I want many stores on multisite network to use the same inventory. Can i use the affiliate plug in to to redirect individual products back to one store to keep inventory updated?

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey MD,

Am a little bit confused about your question here. If you are asking about referring to individual products rather than the store as such, its possible.

so for the store you are using something like this: http://www.domain.com/?=someuser1233

For individual products you can use: http://www.domain.com/product-name/?=someuser1233

Hope its clear enough. Do let me know if we are not on the same page here.

• Mark Wallace

Hello Arun
    It is good to see again!

I am working with MD on his project, so i will go through all his current threads and see if i can clarify the questions.
    On this thread; we are trying to open several stores that would share a single inventory. After speaking w/ @masonjames a few weeks ago I found that this was no possible.

So my idea is to use the affiliate plugin with a photo gallery or some other theme that would appropriate.

After reading about this plugin I have a few concerns.

1. If the plugin is set to pay on a per product sale, what will happen if they click one product, then once back at the main store they decide to buy other products. Will the affiliate store get credit for all purchases?

2. I know it can be set up for a total sale commission not just a per product sale, but what if the same user come to the main site from two different stores. Say today they come from store 2 and next week they come from store 3. Who then will get the commission?

3. Is there a simpler way to achieve our goals?
    Thanks Arun; It is good to see you again!

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey there, good to see you again. And wow, members working on projects together, that sounds like fun.

I think Affiliates is work around here, and not a very good one. Hmm, am not sure of how Affiliates would work here, I think if a visitor visits next week from store 3, store 3 owner would get the commission.

But am confused with how you are trying to do this. So there will be multiple stores with affiliate links to one single base store? Why can't they just have products in their own store and sell it off from there? USE the Csv importer to import the same products to all stores.

I am not sure, but I think if all stores can access the same tables that belong to the main store, having a single inventory would be possible. At least in theory.

Let me ask Barry.

• Arun Basil Lal

Note to Barry:

Hey Barry, the idea is to have a single inventory for multiple stores and @MTB1701 and @MD are trying to use Affiliates plugin to do that, please take a look at these two questions:

1. If the plugin is set to pay on a per product sale, what will happen if they click one product, then once back at the main store they decide to buy other products. Will the affiliate store get credit for all purchases?

2. I know it can be set up for a total sale commission not just a per product sale, but what if the same user come to the main site from two different stores. Say today they come from store 2 and next week they come from store 3. Who then will get the commission?

In theory, if other stores can access the database of the first store, they can have the same inventory, right? Do you think that is possible?

• Mark Wallace

Hello Arun!

If we could use one inventory for all stores that would be great! The cvs file was our first choice, but if 5 stores sell the same product, and there was a quantity of 3; then 2 customers and two store managers will be angry! The more store the more chances of this happening. But uploading inventory via a cvs file is fine. Just have to overcome the inventory update at the point of sale.

Thanks Arun! It is good to see you again.

• Dean Kaus

Hello @MTB1701 great to see you back. not sure if this would make sense or not but think that the idea of @Arun should (again in theory work) I used to have 2 web sites (different names and target clients) 2 separate price lists for the exact same products. The inventory as well as all of the shipping was handled by the distributor. In a sense I was an affiliate store x2. I know that they had several other people selling their products as well. I don't recall exactly how everything was handled but to the best of my recollection it was something like this.

I was given codes from the main store to apply into my html code. I believe I had a template of their available products that I'd check which ones I wanted to sell. Then I received a template (from the company) with photos and product codes when the client went to the checkout I believe that's when the inventory was checked and the order was processed. After 3 days my profits were deposited into my Paypal account and I really never had contact with the client's.

It's been several years since I've had those sites up and running but will look to see if I can get a hold of the guy that had it all set up.

• Barry

If the plugin is set to pay on a per product sale, what will happen if they click one product, then once back at the main store they decide to buy other products. Will the affiliate store get credit for all purchases?

Yes - the click marks them as an affiliate and they then get credit for everything they buy - just like in Amazon

I know it can be set up for a total sale commission not just a per product sale, but what if the same user come to the main site from two different stores. Say today they come from store 2 and next week they come from store 3. Who then will get the commission?

If the stores are on different urls then they need to follow an affiliate link to each store to get marked as an affiliate. They aren't automatically an affiliate as a consequence of just visiting the site.

• Mark Wallace

Hi Barry!
    Thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately I either do not understand your answer, or I did not explain my question very well. So let me try again.
    I want many stores on multisite network to use the same inventory. Can i use the affiliate plug in to redirect individual products back to one store to keep inventory updated?

Yes - the click marks them as an affiliate and they then get credit for everything they buy - just like in Amazon

I thought the store was the affiliate?
    Does this mean the customer is the affiliate?
    This is what we want to achieve.
    The customer would come to the main store from one of the stores on our NetWork and make purchases, and the commission would go back to the store they came from.

If the stores are on different urls then they need to follow an affiliate link to each store to get marked as an affiliate. They aren't automatically an affiliate as a consequence of just visiting the site.

Store 1 is the main store with all the products, and where the inventory will be managed.

Store 2 is an independent store that uses the only Store 1 products, but is owned by a different person.

Store 3 is an independent store that uses the only Store 1 products, but is owned by a different person.

Customer Arun find a nice purse he wants on store 2, and is redirected to store one to complete the sale. Store 1 inventory is then reduced by one purse.

The following week Arun visits store 3 and finds another nice purse and is redirected to store 1 to complete the purchase. Will there be any conflicts between store 2 and store 3 commissions?

I ask because i know with WPMU Dev if a person comes from an affiliate and signs up for a free membership, then 3 months later buy a premium membership the affiliate get credit even 3 months later.

Barry! I am sorry if I missed this all together; I know you guys are swamped at the moment. And how did you get so many points as a developer? lol Thanks barry!

• Mark Wallace

Sorry i havent got the bquote down yet.

Hi Barry!
    Thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately I either do not understand your answer, or I did not explain my question very well. So let me try again.
    I want many stores on multisite network to use the same inventory. Can i use the affiliate plug in to redirect individual products back to one store to keep inventory updated?

This is what we want to achieve.
    The customer would come to the main store from one of the stores on our NetWork and make purchases, and the commission would go back to the store they came from.

Store 1 is the main store with all the products, and where the inventory will be managed.

Store 2 is an independent store that uses the only Store 1 products, but is owned by a different person.

Store 3 is an independent store that uses the only Store 1 products, but is owned by a different person.

Customer Arun find a nice purse he wants on store 2, and is redirected to store one to complete the sale. Store 1 inventory is then reduced by one purse.
    The following week Arun visits store 3 and finds another nice purse and is redirected to store 1 to complete the purchase. Will there be any conflicts between store 2 and store 3 commissions?

I ask because i know with WPMU Dev if a person comes from an affiliate and signs up for a free membership, then 3 months later buy a premium membership the affiliate get credit even 3 months later.

Barry! I am sorry if I missed this all together; I know you guys are swamped at the moment. And how did you get so many points as a developer? lol Thanks barry!
    >>>Praying that i got the bquote right!! >>> Pressing Send!

• Barry

Ok, so my initial question would be "Why would you think the affiliate plugin would do this"?

Yes. The site runs an affiliate program, users sign up to it and get an affiliate account that gives them a unique id and urls. They post these affiliate links on other sites / twitter and others users / customers follow affiliate links and the affiliate whose link was followed gets a click registered and a payment if the user makes an order.

The purchase is made on store 1 - so the commission from store 1 will be used if they followed an affiliate link to store 1. If they arrived at store 2 and it is on it's own domain then the affiliate cookie will be for that store, and no payment will be made to the affiliate as the purchase isn't made there, it's made on store 1.

• Mark Wallace

Hi Barry!
    I can see the confusion! I did not think the affiliate plugin was to manage inventory. I am trying to use it as a work around for this problem, until I hire someone to do custom coding.

Here is the problem, and how we were going to use the affiliate plugin to overcome it.

Hello Arun
    It is good to see again!

I am working with MD on his project, so i will go through all his current threads and see if i can clarify the questions.
    On this thread; we are trying to open several stores that would share a single inventory. After speaking w/ @masonjames a few weeks ago I found that this was not possible.

So my idea is to use the affiliate plugin with a photo gallery or some other theme that would be appropriate.

After reading about this plugin I have a few concerns.

2. I know it can be set up for a total sale commission not just a per product sale, but what if the same customer come to the main site from two different stores. Say today they come from store 2 and next week they come from store 3. Who then will get the commission?

3. Is there a simpler way to achieve our goals?
    Thanks Arun; It is good to see you again!

Thanks Agian!

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey @MTB1701

I see my name (ab)used in the thread. I buy two purses in adjacent weeks? Do I look like a lady to you? lol. I have only bought a wallet once in my life and at that time, I didn't have any money to fill it in with :wink:

Anyway, I think using the affiliate plugin would work in theory, but wouldn't be a perfect solution. I don't think different stores sharing the same database would be much of a hazzle, a dev should be able to do that for your fairly easily.

Looking forward to hear how you finally get this done.

• Mark Wallace

@Arun

I thought maybe you have 2 wives. So you might need 2 purses. lol But yeah bad example!

Yes i was thinking it would work until a proper fix was found. I will be testing that on Sunday along with some other things for other issues. I will let you know how it turn out, and share the final solution to join the databases should the developer want to add them in the next release.

I just got home today; for the first time in over 2 months. So I want to take a day off and sync my lap top files with my desktop. Maybe catch some fish!

If you talk with Barry give him my apologies; I used to be a no nonsense type guy myself; and could not stand people cracking jokes when a problem needed to be solved. Then I realized it made my hair grey. lol Nonetheless no more small talk when he pops in. hehehe

Thanks Arun Hopefully @dean will have that solution he talked about, before I get into the plugin here, but I do plan on using it in the next few months, so maybe a test run now would be worth it!

Thanks Arun!

• Dean Kaus

Hello @MTB1701 sorry it took so long to get back with you. Apparently what happened with the company was there was a nasty divorce involved. I did get a hold of the main contact who had the original idea of the company however while he can't give me any code that was sold to another company who is using bits of his technology. He couldn't disclose exactly who or what was sold but did give me an example of a shutterfly type of company only dealing with stock photography or whatever similar type of system you can think of.

So the basic structure which apparently was written mostly in ASP (or something like that)
    1) Main Store Data Base - linked with several different vendors who would either Drop ship items sold directly to the reseller (sub store account) or to the end client.

2) All other affiliate/sub stores connected to the main store and all purchases, returns, etc. were handled through this main store, while it appeared that they were still on the sub stores site.

All of the sub stores used the same page but the header and footer information was automatically changed to make it appear as if you were still on the sub stores site.

3)The payments were processed via my merchant account and later when I switched to PayPal they were processed via that. What I owed was taken from the main store plus a commission and they processed all of the orders through the various vendors who handled the delivery.

This is way above my knowledge of programming and hope it makes sense to some one here.

I had asked if it was similar to an affiliate store setup and pretty much all I got was that their company was more like a distribution center and they purchased everything wholesale, they added their markup to what I paid and I in turn as the sub store could set the prices to whatever I wanted.

• Mark Wallace

Hi @Dean

2) All other affiliate/sub stores connected to the main store and all purchases, returns, etc. were handled through this main store, while it appeared that they were still on the sub stores site.

This was the plan using the affiliate plugin. Just post the items with on stores 2-100 with redirects to the main store. Just want that to get us through until a more permanent solution is found.

This project went from help fixing a PayPal problem into a full time adventure. lol But the door is open for a city on the hill in a place very little light shines. :slight_smile: So i will do it with joy!

Thanks Dean!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.