Can any WP shopping cart allow users to sell prodcts on my site by paying a fee?

Just like ebay, someone can sign up a special user account, and put in his paypal (or other payment gateway) account info, and anything sells under his account will be directed to his paypal payment page for checkout. My site is a single WP site, NOT a WPMU (yet).

For example, he has an ebook for sale for $10. The visitors click "buy now", next page, the visitor will pay $10 to user's paypal payment page (the receipt will say the user paid $10 to the user), and later the user (ebook owner) gets $9 and I get $1.

In summary, there are two questions:

1. Can any WP shopping cart allow users to take payment on my site?

2. If yes, how can the money (says, total $10) be splitted into 2 portions, and $9 goes to the user and $1 goes to me later after visitor paid $10? Does paypal (or any gateway/shopping cart application) support that? If not, that is ok, the user can pay me back later - is there any way to do that - I mean: pay me back later? I can always manually send a bill to the user who owns me the fee, but it would be time consuming for collecting $1

Thank you for your time reading my long post Hope to get some solutions from the experts here.

• DavidM

Hi winning,

Glad you asked! MarketPress is the only plugin I know of that's capable of that.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce

It does require you to enable to the Multisite (WPMU) feature of WordPress in order to allow others to have a store on your network, but it takes care of all the hard work otherwise involved!

And MarketPress comes with a PayPal Chained Payments gateway to let you take a specified percentage from user sales on your network as well!

There's a great discussion on the PayPal setup process, along with an excellent PDF guide provided by one of our own very cool members, at the following:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-x-process

Hope that helps!

-David

• winning

Hi David,

Thank you for always being on the top of the questions I asked

A few follow-up questions:

1. Chained payment: whose name will show up on the buyer's paypal receipt? Individual's (actual seller's) name or my name. I would like the actual seller's name to be there (for tax purpose) instead of my name, is it possible?

Does the buyer know that I take a percentage of the total?

2. Now I know better about what I actually need: I do not actually want individuals (sellers) to set up stores or products themselves; I will do that for them (so I have a control of what will be put up for sale); the individuals (sellers) still need to set up an account, enter their own paypal account info, enter their service description; then I will set up pages to sell their services for them. And the transactions still go to each individual's paypal first (so receipt of the buyer will show seller's name, not my name) and then we split it (chained payment?).

That said, can I still use the solution you suggested?

3. If you answer is yes, how can I disable individuals (sellers) to put up their own stores or products on their own? So only I can set up the product/service pages?

4. You said I need to "enable to the Multisite (WPMU) feature of WordPress". After reading #2 above, do I still need multisite? If I still need multisite, will visitors notice this is a multisite?

Thanks again

• DavidM

Hi winning,

You may want to read through the PayPal Adaptive Payments resources to get a better idea of how that all works, as MarketPress itself doesn't manage that aspect of things, but PayPal does.
    https://www.x.com/community/ppx/adaptive_payments

1. Chained payment: whose name will show up on the buyer's paypal receipt? Individual's (actual seller's) name or my name. I would like the actual seller's name to be there (for tax purpose) instead of my name, is it possible? Does the buyer know that I take a percentage of the total?

The seller's name should be the one shown and the buyer technically wouldn't have to know you're taking a percentage.

2. Now I know better about what I actually need: I do not actually want individuals (sellers) to set up stores or products themselves; I will do that for them (so I have a control of what will be put up for sale); the individuals (sellers) still need to set up an account, enter their own paypal account info, enter their service description; then I will set up pages to sell their services for them. And the transactions still go to each individual's paypal first (so receipt of the buyer will show seller's name, not my name) and then we split it (chained payment?). That said, can I still use the solution you suggested?

Yes, actually. You can easily setup the stores for your users.

3. If you answer is yes, how can I disable individuals (sellers) to put up their own stores or products on their own? So only I can set up the product/service pages?

The simplest way would be to use the Admin Menu Editor to restrict user's from accessing the MarketPress menus on your network.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

There are some plans in the works to make MarketPress settings accessible on a role-basis and that will help to further customize access to those settings.

4. You said I need to "enable to the Multisite (WPMU) feature of WordPress". After reading #2 above, do I still need multisite? If I still need multisite, will visitors notice this is a multisite?

Yes, you'd need Multisite enabled in order to utilize the multi-vendor aspect of MarketPress. You can design your network so as to make this rather transparent. It all depends on how you customize it.

Hope that helps!

-David

• bsattler

HI DavidM or anyone who can help,

I'm currently working on a project where I need to allow multiple vendors the ability to publish and manage products on our site (upload products, edit products, view sales reports for their store). We want our users to have their own stores and then aggregate all of their products into a main store. We'll then be paying out their commissions individually from their product sales.

We have installed Multisite and Marketpress but are experiencing some difficulty with getting them to work together. I've seen some people recommend using the Membership plugin and others saying that ProSites is the way to go. Is there any specific documentation, steps or configuration options we should be looking at to accomplish this?