Can Chat work without being logged in?

hi — can I have the chat box work without requiring people to register?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Yes and No. When a non-WP authenticated user (Public) see the page where Chat is displayed they will be prompted to login in order to post message. By default this user will see any message from other chat users without needing to login.

And to be clear for public users the login is just Name and email not really login with password. The Name field is just to be able to talk to the user instead of writing ‘Hello guest’. Also the email address is needed in order to display the user’s avatar in the chat messages they post.

Hope this answers your question. In the upcoming version we are thinking about auto-assigning a name like guest-xxx where the ‘xxx’ would be a random number for uniqueness. That way the user is auto-logged in.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Correct. The plugin offer three options for chat display.

1. Via the Page/Post shortcode

2. The bottom corner chat

3. The Chat Widget.

All works the same. You can define the login options: WordPress, Public, Twitter and Facebook. For the non-WordPress login options the user will see the chat message without needing to login. Of course you can prevent this be not allowing Public login. Just Facebook and/or Twitter.

• FeleciaRose
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

OK — I don’t know what “bottom corner chat” means

I have the chat installed in my home page sidebar

I have BOTH word press user and public user enabled

chat displays “enter name and email” to get started and asks for login

assuming that’s for public user access

It doesn’t work — thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose

OK — I don’t know what “bottom corner chat” means

Go into your wp-admin. Then go to Settings > Chat. You will see the tabs across the page. The second tab controls the ‘bottom corner’ chat. Basically this is a little popup window anchored to the bottom corner of the screen. If you enable it, see the drop down, it will show up. This is different than the Page/Post chat setup via shortcode.

I have the chat installed in my home page sidebar

As a widget I assume, yes?

chat displays “enter name and email” to get started and asks for login assuming that’s for public user access

Correct.

It doesn’t work — thanks!

Can you be more specific about what doesn’t work? Or can you provide a URL so I can try and view the chat? Thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

None of those errors are from the chat plugin. Those errors were in place before you installed chat.

The solution would be:

1. Start disabling plugins one be one. So disable a plugin. Then check chat. If chat doesn’t work enabled the plugin then go to the next plugin. This might help isolate what plugin is causing the issue.

2. It might be part of your theme. Try switching to the default theme.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Unfortunately, we have to draw the line at helping on third party items like themes and other plugins. Just too many combinations out there. If you can’t tweak the theme code yourself you might look for a local WordPress group and see if someone can help.

From looking at the JS errors in more detail they all appear to be related to the JavaScript package Prototype/Scriptaculous which was very popular some years ago. Could be the theme doesn’t support the new version of the JS library.

• FeleciaRose
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

OK — I tested all plugins and like I said deactivating the Contact From (WPMU) helped — it got the slider to work and it got the chat to work when logged in

NOTHING got the chat to work as a Public User (meaning all you have to do is provide a name and email to get it to work) iNCLUDING changing the theme to 2012

So it can’t be the theme since in didn’t work in 2012 either — right???

please help — thanks!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Yeah, I'm seeing the chat widget but when I submit the login name & email the page refreshes and I'm still seeing the form. Are you running a cache plugin like W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache?

Can you try and setup a page for chat instead of using the widget? The widget is fairly new and while it should work they might be a chance something is not working correctly with the widget code. For page when you go to the Page/Post editor you should see the chat button on the Visual editor toolbar.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Yeah, I’m trying to debug the JavaScript now via your site. My request for the Page chat was really just for testing. I understand you want the actual chat in the sidebar. I just want to see if maybe chat will work via a page. If it does then there is something with the widget section of the code. If it doesn’t work on the page then there is something more systemic going on.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

I can only do so much via JavaScript debugging. To get this fixed and to be ensure this is working I would like to request access to your site. I’ll need to be able to FTP into the server and make changes to the chat plugin code.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

On other thing. In your wp-admin on Settings > Chat then the tab ‘Bottom corner chat’ tab. At the bottom of the page you should see two groups of checkboxes. First group is for the login options and second is for the moderators. Can you provide a screenshot or just write out which options you have set.

For the login options you should at least have WordPress and Public checked. For moderators you should at least have admin checked.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Might be easier to try this. Here is a link to a beta version of Chat. This beta version has some updated logic for that login form. I still can’t reproduce the issue on my end. But hopefully it will get us closer on your issue. You can uninstall the current chat plugins and replace with this one.

Write back to this thread when you have the beta version in place and I will check it.

Thanks.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Ok. I see the issue is with WPEngine not supporting cookies.

From this WPEngine support page. http://support.wpengine.com/cookies-and-php-sessions/

Cookies can still be used with page caching. However, they need to be handled predominantly with Javascript instead of PHP. If you try to use PHP to read cookies, it will likely only display an empty cookie array.

This is exactly what is happening in the chat script. The login form submit is clicked. Via JavaScript the cookie values are set. However when the page reloads the server side PHP things the cookie is empty. So it shows the login form again.

Ug. I need to think on this.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Um thanks. For now I’ve installed a newer version of the chat plugin. Our upcoming Chat 2.0. It seems to work better. At least I can login. This is still beta code but might work better for you while I figure out the cookie issue on the older version of chat.

I’ve signed up for my own WPEngine account so I can do some deeper testing on code changes. Don’t want to effect your live site. So for now logging out of all your systems while I work.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Ok. Gave up on Chat and started looking into the issue via Chat 2.0 I now have that code patched and working 100% on WPEngine. Now as a public user reloading the page works are designed.

The problem is WPEngine does heavily cache pages for non-WP users. Even though you are not running a cache plugin it (WPEngine) still does this. No way to disable or turn it off. I could spent 20 or so hours rewriting the chat 1.3 version logic but I think it is better to put that time toward the newer version to get it out the door.

Anyway thanks for your patience on this. And for letting me log into to your WPE account so I can discover the root of issue. This is very important. I hope you don’t mind using the beta version. It is mostly stable. Has lots more options (lots more!). Just want to add some final features then it should launch end of this month.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FeleciaRose,

Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been traveling and will be in and out of touch most of this week.

there is no login screen only message that they must login

See the little gear in the top right of the chat window? For public, Facebook, etc. users they will see a ‘Login’ option which will show the login options. Optionally, on the Chat > Settings Widget then Authentication tab there is an option ‘What to show non-Authenticated users’ which will show only the login form for non-authenticated users. See image

also, how do I clear the chat? thanks!

Make sure you are logged in as the moderator. View the front-end chat. Again, go to the little gear in the top right of the chat window. As moderator you should see the option to ‘Clear chat’.

Let me know if you have other questions. Also, I’ll be checking my emails more than I check the forum threads so if you get stuck please email me direct paul [at] incsub.com

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.