Can Cloner clone and entire Multisite?

Hi ya,
I'm completely new to WPMUDEV, so forgive my ignorance.

I've been looking for a way to do staging. But also to copy from live to dev in order to do testing and development.

I've set up a multisite to have customer facing and then a subsite for staff.

I'd like to clone the entire thing to a development site.

But looking at Cloner, it appears to only allow cloning of the individual subsites. Not the whole thing...

Have I missed something, or is there a way of doing this I'm missing?

Thanks,
Norman

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Norman and welcome to WPMU DEV community :slight_smile:

You're not missing anything, Cloner is indeed plugin that is designed only to clone subsites inside a network, there's no option to clone your entire network to different location.

What you need here is to do a complete migration.
    You should check out our Snapshot plugin for that.
    This is our backup plugin and even though it was not designed to be used as migration tool we have a number of members that were able to use it for this.

When Snapshot is enabled you can go to Snapshot > Managed Backups panel that will allow you to create a backup of your entire network.

You can then go to your websites section on WPMU DEV site, https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/my-websites/, and in there click on the backups icon for your site in order to get access to your backup file:

In that tab you will find your backup file and when you click on the restore icon you will find additional information on how to restore the file:

Hope this does the trick for you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Norman
    • Flash Drive

Sadly, looks like Snapshot doesn't do migration. I've finally been able to run some tests, but Snapshot doesn't make any attempt to change paths, or allow moving databases.

Sigh. I'm just trying to find a plugin that allows migration from one site to another (including the entire network of a multisite), while changing directories and databases. I'm starting to think that doing it manually is the only way....

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Norman!

Using Snapshot to move sites should be possible but it's not a migration tool and you would need to run some tool to update URLs/paths, indeed.

The Managed Backup tool of Snapshot would work, including updating DB credentials/prefixes and it should also take care of paths but that's as long as you move entire site (may it be single or a multisite) to a new location but not into another site (as it doesn't let you do it).

However, we're working on a dedicated migration tool which, I believe, will address your needs perfectly. I'm not able to give you an ETA at the moment but please keep an eye on the roadmap here (the "Shipper: is the one):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/roadmap/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Norman
    • Flash Drive

Thank you. That's very encouraging.

As a note, I did try the Managed Backup restore, and it didn't seem to update database login information or paths. At least, it didn't ask if there was a new database that it needed to update.

Anyway, sounds like the takeaway is that Snapshot isn't designed to do full on migration etc.

Which is fair if it's not designed for that.

Cheers,
    Norman

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.