can cloner copy a subdomain site to the network default site?

I would like to set up my production environment with a subdomain for development. Can I accomplish this with cloner? I want to hang an sign on the door of my future production site and then clone a subdomain into it. Can I use cloner to clone a network site say mysite.tk to mysite.com ? I am wanting to do this with a multisite setup on each domain so I would want to clone it at the site network level.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Bradley,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Short answer is, Yes!
    Cloner can be used to clone any site in your network (main or subsite), when cloning you can choose to create new subsite or clone to existing site (main or subsite).

I'm a bit confused with this part however:

Can I use cloner to clone a network site say mysite.tk to mysite.com ?

Are mysite.tk and mysite.com both part of the same network installation?
    If yes then Cloner can be used to clone from one site to another.

If you have any followup questions let us know :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Bradley
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Sorry to confuse. I meant that if I create a dev site in its own network (wpmu) and I build it with the domain name blah.tk in a seperate installation from what will become my production site... blah.com, can i then clone blah.tk into my production network site blah.com. But if you say I can develop in a subsite of my production site (dev.blah.com) and then clone that into the production network site (blah.com) that will work just as well.
    Does the cloning process clean up the domain mapping stripping off the subdomain on all resources?
    Brad

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Brad!

The "Cloner" can only work withing the same Multisite network so you can clone e.g. from main site to the sub-site and vice versa but not from a site of one Multisite install to the site of another (separate) Multisite install.

But yes, you can clone your production site into e.g. "dev.blah.com" subsite and then even clone it back after you're done with development :slight_smile:

Does the cloning process clean up the domain mapping stripping off the subdomain on all resources?

The Cloner clones the site as it is - the source site. I'm not however quite sure if I fully understand your question here. Could you please share a simple example/case scenario related to this question please? I'd just like to make sure that we are on the same side here :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.