can create blogs but cannot access them

Just started mu site with BuddyPress. I am creating some test blogs but I cannot access them. When I try to access the blog, dashboard, manage posts or manage comments I get 'Server not found'.

Everything seems to be set up correctly. The sites show up on my dashboard and super dashboard, as well as on the main sites blog directory but I just cannot access them. Permissions on blogs.dir are 777

What am I doing wrong?

wordpress 3.0.4 multi site enabled
http:sisterhoodofsupport.com
Business Portfolio
BuddyPress

• j.dee
    • Flash Drive

In general I keep the permissions 644 for files & 755 for directories. When I do 777 it is just for installation or some specific reason. 777 is also a security risk, try changing the permissions to 755 for blogs directory :slight_smile:

• JoAnn
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Okay, I solved the problem.

First I had to create a subdomain in my c-panel (*.sisterhoodofsupport.com)

After that I kept getting this error when I created a test blog and tried to access it:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /home/sisterh0/public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 1059

To fix that I added this line to line 2 of my /public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php

require_once('pluggable.php');

If you add that line by copying and pasting the above you must replace the single quotes with your own keyboard single quotes because the quote mark here may not copy correctly.

That was it. A whole days worth of fussing--but I got it to work.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /home/sisterh0/public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 1059
    To fix that I added this line to line 2 of my /public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php
    require_once('pluggable.php');

I'd be a bit concerned about having to make a change to a core file as it suggests something more is a miss and you are "patching" up the symptom rather than discovering the problem.

What plugins are you running on there? Have your tried working your way up from a standard plain multi-site install to find out what is causing the issue?

• JoAnn

No, but I will do that as I agree this is just a patch. And, in the past with my single site wordpress sites usually the plugins are the culprit when there is a problem. This is my first multi site experience so I have a lot to learn.

I have quite a few plugins running, such as membership, buddypress, whose online, etc. Today I'll remove the patch, deactivate all of them and work my way back through. I'll post here what I find. Thanks.

• JoAnn

I removed the patch, deactivated all of my plugins. Then, I activated each plugin, one at a time, and tested the create a new blog function each time.

I don't know if deactivating and reactivating the plugins made a difference, but I was able to activate all of my plugins and the create a blog function continued to work.

Another problem solved.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.