MailChimp Integration: Can each sub site use this plugin independently?

Can each sub site (in WPMU) use this plugin independently?

For instance, each sub site can subscribe their own users to their own mailchimp account. If not, any suggestion to achieve that?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @winning

Hope you're well.

The MailChimp Integration plugin should work fine on a Multisite install. When installing the plugin via the Super Admin, don't network activate the plugin. That will make it available to each sub-domain to configure on their own.

Let me know if this works for you.

Have a good day!

GinaB

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings winning,

As Gina had mentioned this plugin can be used either network activated or site by site being the method of choice for your scenario.

Has your method been tested and verified on a live site? (to make it available to each sub-domain to configure on their own)

Though this is a great question, to verify that this is in fact the case one would need to have several Mail Chimp accounts and including subscribers to each which is beyond the scope of this forum and technical support.

However, if you run into a problem implementing this we will be happy to assist.

Please advise as to the status of your implementation to include detailed results.

I look forward to hearing about them.

Cheers, Joe

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

@winning & @coxis

Hope you are well.

Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten. I sort of broke my Multisite test site during a testing session, so I have to repair it before I can test your problem and try to replicate. I will try to get this done tomorrow and will revert back to you with my feedback.

All the best, have a good day and talk soon again.

GinaB

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings winning,

We have not heard back from you with the results of your testing this.

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I think we were not waiting for any input from winning. We were expecting GinaB to "revert back to [us] with [her] feedback".

GinaB said:

I will try to get this done tomorrow and will revert back to you with my feedback.

Please let me mark this topic as "not resolved" as the initial question has not received a clear answer yet. The initial question was:

Can each sub site (in WPMU) use this plugin independently?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings,

Aha! Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

The answer is no it cannot be used independently by sub sites.

On a Multisite installations it does not show up in the regular site admin dashboard plugins and can only be network activated. It works on Solo WordPress sites also.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings troykd,

You are absolutely correct, though it would possibly leave the network owner open to possible abuse and hosting account termination in the event that a spammer joined and sent out garbage mail even though the list is maintained on Mail Chimp but points back to a domain on your hosting.

However, you may still find this interesting WP Autoresponder And Newsletter Plugin

I do not know if it is Pro Site nor MultiSite friendly and need to be tested for both.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Lorange,

Great catch!

Thank you for that.

That is a good one too and for some reason when I was thinking about this very subject I had my head wrapper around "Autoresponder" along the lines of Get Response, Aweber, Mail Chimp etc rather then a newsletter, which may also serve the same purpose for many people.

Some day I will get used to the idea that this can be used as an autoresponder to some degree though not quite as robust as the commercial counterparts.

In addition, it still has the potential for abuse as mentioned above and the consequences thereof, whereas most of the third party providers will testify to the fact that you have double optin subscribers and you cannot be spamming them - and they are usually tracking the IP's as well.

In other words when hosting yourself, it is your word against theirs, when there is a third party involved there is someone that is impartial (or supposed to be) on your behalf.

Cheers, Joe

• MlleSoleil
    • Flash Drive

Hello Joe,

So if I understood correctly, the plugin 'Mailchimp' cannot be used by each sub-site. However, I'm not sure that I understand the reason.

Anyway, there are 2 hugh advantages using Mailchimp for sending newsletter instead of "e-newsletter" plugin, the first one is that the email sent is likely to be delivered in the Inbox and not spam. Second, comparing to smtp which limits to 100 emails/day, Mailchimp allows sending 12K emails for up to 2K subscribers.

These two advantages alone are really interesting enough to make this plugin available to sub-sites.

If there is a good reason not to have this plugin activated for a sub-site, then maybe there should be a possibilty to export members in csv format from "e-newsletter" and "subscriber via email" plugins. I'll create a new discussion for this if it hasn't created yet.

Thank you,
    Sawitri

• localniagara
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

My head is spinning from the confusion.

My problem is this, I want to offer sub-site owners in my network the ability to send a series of autoresponder emails to people who create accounts on their sites automatically.

Is this doable?

Sending newsletters would be a plus, but the main thing I'm after is the autoresponders.

If you can help me I'd be grateful. Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I want to offer sub-site owners in my network the ability to send a series of autoresponder emails to people who create accounts on their sites automatically.

That I'm aware of, this is not possible automatically. Neither our MailChimp plugin nor the one on wordpress.org does this. The free one on wp.org could probably be modified to do this for you though.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• MlleSoleil
    • Flash Drive

Hello Mason,

Thank you for your answer on the Mailchimp plugin. I'll try that.

Anyway, will this feature be added in the future release of Mailchimp plugin? If not yet submitted, could you please submit the feature? Unless, there's a good reason not to do so.

Thank you,
    Sawitri

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.