Can Event + do what I want it to do?

Is Event + intended as something I email to a targeted recipient, or is it something that resides on my website and people can browse through a series of classes they may be interested in that are scheduled at specific times? I don't see screenshots of what the user experience is. That would really be helpful. Can they choose from a list of classes shown in calendar form (if not calendar, then what?) and then sign up for the class and pay for it too? Please describe what the user experience and options are. And PLEASE do not just direct me to your website for a product description. I have already looked there and it is unclear regarding these questions. As these are not technical questions, please make sure that someone responds who can talk about features and options. Thank you.

• aristath

Hello there @Earl, I hope you're well today!

Is Event + intended as something I email to a targeted recipient, or is it something that resides on my website and people can browse through a series of classes they may be interested in that are scheduled at specific times?

Think of it like this: You organize events (let's say concerts) and you want people interested in these events to be able to visit your website and buy their tickets.
    There are concerts once or twice a week, and you can show these concerts in a list, or in a calendar.

I don't see screenshots of what the user experience is. That would really be helpful.

The frontend depends completely on the theme you're using, that's why there are no screenshots.

Can they choose from a list of classes shown in calendar form (if not calendar, then what?) and then sign up for the class and pay for it too?

Yes, they can.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Earl

Thanks for the info. More questions...

I installed event+ , did basic setup and created a couple test events. When I look at my WP pages list I don't see a page where my list of events shows up. How do I get my list of categories (which I have already created) and all the events in each category to show up on a single page?

How do I do the following? I want a primary page on the site to be a registration page. On this page I want a list and/or calendar of all currently scheduled seminars (may be as many as 20 possible seminars scheduled out over the next 2 months). The events should automatically disappear from the calendar or list as soon as the date has passed and be able to be eliminated should the event be cancelled. Each of the seminars if displayed in a list, need to be organized into one of 3 different categories, and if displayed in calendar, it would be great if they could either be color-coded by categories or at least have the category listed with the name of the event.

I don't need to provide information about the various events, as I have done that elsewhere on the website. But next to each event, there should be a way to register for that event and pay for it.

Please provide specific information in response to each of these questions. Thank you.

Earl

• aristath

I installed event+ , did basic setup and created a couple test events. When I look at my WP pages list I don't see a page where my list of events shows up. How do I get my list of categories (which I have already created) and all the events in each category to show up on a single page?

If you go to the event plugin settings, you'll see (and edit if you wish) the URL that will be used for your events (see attached screenshot).

I want a list and/or calendar of all currently scheduled seminars

From your Dahboard go to Events => Shortcodes.
    You'll be able to see a list of all the supported shortcodes there.
    You can use these 2:
    [eab_calendar] (displays events in a calendar)
    [eab_archive] (displays a list of events)

The events should automatically disappear from the calendar or list as soon as the date has passed and be able to be eliminated should the event be cancelled.

From your Dashboard go to Events => Settings.
    You'll need to enable the "Immediately expire past events" addon there.

Each of the seminars if displayed in a list, need to be organized into one of 3 different categories, and if displayed in calendar, it would be great if they could either be color-coded by categories or at least have the category listed with the name of the event.

You can achieve that with some custom CSS, it's actually pretty easy!

I don't need to provide information about the various events, as I have done that elsewhere on the website. But next to each event, there should be a way to register for that event and pay for it.

When users click on an event on your calendar they will be able to see details about it and register for that event there.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Earl

Sorry, but your answers are not specific enough to be of help. Please provide details as follows..

If you go to the event plugin settings, you'll see (and edit if you wish) the URL that will be used for your events (see attached screenshot).

how do I edit the page that the plug in creates. I created a page named events (same as slug in settings), but when I type in the url with the slug, it takes me to some other page with events on it and not the events page I created. Is the events page being created dynamically, so that I can't get to the layout? Please explain the exact process of accessing the events page.... exactly where do I find it?

From your Dahboard go to Events => Shortcodes.
    You'll be able to see a list of all the supported shortcodes there.
    You can use these 2:
    [eab_calendar] (displays events in a calendar)
    [eab_archive] (displays a list of events)

I get the idea of pasting shortcodes, but you don[t say where to paste them. I'm assuming that I would put them on the /events page, but as described above, I don't know how to access the page.

Also, it looks like the settings allows me to select a page template for the /events page that shows either a calendar or a list, but not both. So I assume that I do not select either and add the shortcode as you described to a blank page of some sort that is not formatted with either a list of a calendar. What template would I select in the settings if I were to add short code as you describe?

Will I be able to control the sized of the calendar? The calendar template is the full page and that is way too big. Please provide specific information on how to do that.

You can achieve that with some custom CSS, it's actually pretty easy!

It may be pretty easy for you, but I don't have a clue on how to do that. Please provide specific directions regarding what files I go to, what lines of code I'm looking for and what modifications I should make.

And on the subject of categories... I see that the settings allow me to create categories, but I see no place that they show up and don't see a shortcode for them and can't figure out how you use them in any way. Please provide specific information on how to use and integrate categories with my events.

By the way, I can find no place on the WPMUdev website that explains how to build an events structure and modify it. As is the case with every plugin I've used, the site instructions only explain with what the various settings/tools are, but not how to do the things I have asked for in this thread. If information such as I am asking for exists on the website, please send links to it in addition to your detailed response.

Thank you.

• Earl

Hoping you can respond to above questions.

Also...
    I have been playing around in the meantime and have a little bit better idea of what it is I don't understand. I have used the calendar template and that works pretty good for my needs, but want to make it smaller and add other content on that page. To do so I need you to tell me:
    1) In Settings, do I keep the template set to calendar, or do I use some other template and add the calendar with shortcode?
    2) Creating a page called events and adding shortcode does not work. URL /events does not display the events page that I created. What file do I edit to add other content and adjust size of calendar... what file is it and where do I find it?

Thanks. Hope you can respond right away to both posts.

• Earl

Thank you for your reply. First of all, there is nothing to see in the backend. Nothing has been done other than Select the calendar template and put in a couple test events. I have been waiting for help before doing anything else.

Also, since I did not receive an answer, I reposted .... https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cant-see-wherehow-to-modify-the-events-page?replies=3#post-609105 you also responded to this post initially, and I asked for further clarification, but have not heard back from you on that. It would be best to look at that thread and respond, as I think I have made a little progress on my own and gleaned a little bit from your answers and perhaps my questions are a little bit more focused. I hope you will respond WITH DETAIL soon. Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.