Can I activate Wordpress Multisite just for plugins?

I want to use a few plugins from wmpudev that require multisite but I am setup as single site.

Is it ok to setup multisite even though I am single site to take advantage of plugin that requires multisite?

Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there, hope you're having a fab weekend! :slight_smile:

There isn't any reason why you can't, I've done this before when a plugin is desired by a client.

Just keep in mind that certain things will then be different, like adding new users, certain plugins depending on which ones you refer too will also have their settings in the Network Admin Area.

Upload sizes and such will also be in the network area.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

• Site Builder, Child of Zeus

i uploaded domain mapping and configured according to the manual to hawaiiscoutingreport.com.

I am on the part of the manual for domain mapping and this is where I need help:

So, lets go to a sub site which has it own domain to map.

Admin » Tools » Domain Mapping

Does the above instruction pertain to hawaiiathlete.com?

I went to hawaiiathlete dashboard and could not find the path. Do i need to install the domain mapping plugin to hawaiiathlete.com as well?

Thanks

from reading about domain mapping it looks like i need to get a dedicated ip address. I contacted hostgator and they informed me that their is a global shortage of ip addresses and the only way i can obtain one from them is to purchase a ssl certificate for $50 per year but would make my entire site https. Not sure if I want to do this.

If I went back to the original reason I wanted to do multisite was to take advantage of Pro Sites and TOS plugins then would it make more sense to load multisite on hawaiiathlete.com itself. Currently this is the only site I have and not looking to build a "network" of sites.

The only reason I loaded multisite on hawaiiscoutingreport.com was because it is the primary domain on my hostgator account.

Can I load multisite on hawaiiathlete.com as it is one of the subdomains on my hostgator account and load the plugins I want to use on this site?

Sorry if I already received answer above I just want to make sure as I do not want to mess anything up.

Mahalo!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

from reading about domain mapping it looks like i need to get a dedicated ip address. I contacted hostgator and they informed me that their is a global shortage of ip addresses and the only way i can obtain one from them is to purchase a ssl certificate for $50 per year but would make my entire site https. Not sure if I want to do this.

If you're wanting other people to forward in their domains then sure a dedicated IP would be needed.

If they're only your domains, then nahh you can do it another way.

In cPanel you can add your domains as addon or parked domains, just be sure their path goes to your WordPress installation. It will work the same as a dedicated IP.

Between your two sites there, you need to decide which one should your primary site, that will be the main network install.

Then the second one you would map to a sub blog in that install. This is done with the domain mapping plugin.

If I went back to the original reason I wanted to do multisite was to take advantage of Pro Sites and TOS plugins then would it make more sense to load multisite on hawaiiathlete.com itself. Currently this is the only site I have and not looking to build a "network" of sites.

If you're not looking to have a network of sites, what use for Pro Sites do you have?

This plugin is used to sell blogs, and premium features in a network install.

Hope this helps.

thanks @Timothy Bowers, i was looking into Pro Sites on a recommendation to "lock" members out of my buddypress site that the membership plugin could not do. But after reading your post above and researching a bit further I do not believe Pro Sites is the right application for what I am trying to do and I will stick with membership.

However I would like to use the TOS plugin which still requires multisite from what I understand. Since Hawaiiscoutingreport.com is already the primary and I have uploaded the domain mapping plugin per the instructions I'd like to map hawaiiathlete.com in that install like you mentioned above.

But I am stuck on how to actually do this, how do I map hawaiiathlete.com to hawaiiscoutingreport.com? Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

What are you trying to protect in BuddyPress?

URL groups might be able to help, this is a feature of Membership.

Let me know, I should be able to give some pointers then :slight_smile:

But I am stuck on how to actually do this, how do I map hawaiiathlete.com to hawaiiscoutingreport.com? Thanks.

Create a site in:

Admin --> Network --> Add Site

Once the site is created, you then go to the admin of that new site:

Admin --> Tools --> Domain Mapping

You then add the domain there.

As mentioned earlier you still need to park or create an add-on domain and have it's DocumentRoot set to that of your WordPress install. If you're unsure how to do this then your host should be able to do it for you. it's a 1 minute or less edit on your account.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Thanks @Timothy Bowers for all the help.

What are you trying to protect in BuddyPress?

URL groups might be able to help, this is a feature of Membership.

Let me know, I should be able to give some pointers then :slight_smile:

I was wondering if the following could be done for a logged in user. A logged in user can currently edit his profile fields and set the visibility to:

1. Anyone
    2. Logged in Users
    3. Admins Only
    4. My Friends

I would like to know if it is possible to have these same visibility options available when editing the Settings fields, e.g.:

1. Flickr Youtube
    2. Social Media
    3. Profile CSS

This would be a great feature if it can be done.

Thanks.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

In Membership you can add those to the url groups:

/settings/social-media/
    /settings/flickr-youtube/
    /settings/profile-css/

Screenshot attached.

This would protect those 3 specific pages.

This won't give them the same permissions like you see on the other profile fields, but it will protect those areas from being edited.

If you wanted to add privacy settings on those other fields then it would unfortunately require some custom coding.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.