can i add existing sites to multisite network?

I have a main website and two subdomains. Each subdomain has a different demographic, so they have different themes, etc.

I am in the process of transitioning to MultiSite because it will give us more of what we are looking for.

The instructions tend to focus on adding subdomains (or subdirectories) at the "beginning" of building your site / blog.

We are past that and have already ID'd our structure and have the sites working.

momschoiceawards.com
honorees.momschoiceawards.com
momblog.momschoiceawards.com

Can I move them into the network without having to start over?

Thanks in advance! Terry

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Terry,

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

On a multisite install, you'd need to choose sub domains or sub directories.

Then what you'll need is a plugin like our domain mapping plugin https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/ this way then you map your domain.com to subsite.domain.com for example. if that makes sense? :slight_smile:

I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Terry
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Jack.

That is helpful, but I guess my main concern is that when I start the step of setting up the network that I am going to be "taking down" the existing blogs / subdomains and having to rebuild them.

My goal is to do this seamlessly, and after reading the domain-mapping plugin page, I'm not sure that will do it. That seems more focused on letting people create their own space and selling that space. That isn't what we want.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Terry,

I hope you are well today and thanks for the additional information.

That's correct, out of the box WordPress Multisite, works off one domain, i.e domain.com

All sites on the multisite would have a sub domain or sub directory, i.e, for sub domain, sub.domain.com

To get additional domains, you'd need to use domain mapping to map a domain, such as domain.com to sub.domain.com

You would indeed need to rebuild the sites as sub domains first, then map the domain to them.

You could also try exporting and then importing the existing sites, we have a great guide on that here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/import-export-wordpress-sites-multisite/ :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.