can I change the root domain name of my wpmu site?

My site is hosted on a shared server where I get a number at the front of the shared server, i.e. 43.b.server.me. When I post links from my site to FB, the base of the server address, b.server.me, is flagged as spam. I would like to change base domain over to mydomain.com. Is this as simple as parking all my other domains on mydomain.com, editing the wp-config setting to mydomain.com for the:

$base = '/';
define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', '43.b.server.me');
define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');

to read:

$base = '/';
define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'mydomain.com');
define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');

thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings rbetz,

Thank you for this great question, it is greatly appreciated.

The procedure was just performed by another member and he described what he had done here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/changing-main-domain-for-multisite#post-269960

Be sure to backup your entire database and site before attempting this type of operation so that if something goes wrong you can get a full restore.

Please advise to how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• aristath
    • Recruit

If you're on Ubuntu or any other linux there's a simple way to do a domain migration:

Open up phpmyadmin and export your database as a .sql file.
    then, open up a terminal and type the following:
    sed -i 's/olddomain.com/newdomain.com/g' /home/Downloads/database.sql
    of cource you should change these to fit your needs:
    olddomain.com = your old domain or path
    newdomain.com = your new domain or path
    /home/Downloads/database.sql = the actual path to the database file you downloaded.

That will search and replace all instances of "olddomain.com" with "newdomain.com".

Once that's done, import the resulting file to your database using phpmyadmin again (you may have to delete everything before importing so a backup is always a good thing to have).
    Then, go ahead and change your domain on your wp-settings.php and you're done!

P.S.1: I don't know how to do it on windows... I'm sure there's a way though!
    P.S.2: If you're not on ubuntu then maybe you should seriously consider migrating from windows... (unless of course you're a gamer).

• rbetz
    • New Recruit

Thanks for the response. For some reason the notifiction did not reach me.
    @Joe - thanks for the link and db backup has become a more recent need. Thankfully I'm only working on personal sites right now.

@aristath
    Yes it is a multi-site setup. Hosted on Centos 5 setup. I have a few linux setup via virtual pc for testing.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings rbetz,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.