Can I combine two different themes in one site?

I would like to use one theme for my index page that the public sees and another theme for the membership and buddypress section.

I want both to be under the same domain name.

Is this possible, and if so, how do I accomplish this?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey JoAnn

I do know of one plugin, but I couldn't tell you if it still works though:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-theme/

Is this your own theme?

If so you could code unique different page templates, then assign them to specific pages. Anything you which doesn't have an actual page but still uses a slug page could use the default theme:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Page_Templates

I did this for a client once, they wanted about 20 different templates for certain product pages.

There is also this plugin for CSS per page:

http://www.wpmods.com/stylesheet-per-page-wordpress-plugin/

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again JoAnn.

Well if coding something is not an option and that plugin I linked to does not work, then there is another option.

All your membership content (including the membership plugin) could reside on for example:

membership.domain.com

Then you would use domain.com as a drop/landing page. Give it a different design and link it up to your sub site.

This would work with WordPress multisite.

How does that sound? Possible a lot of work for an established site?

Take care.

• JoAnn

Hey Timothy,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

The plugin did not work, maybe because the site is large and uses membership and buddypress?

Your last suggestion is great. And, I definitely need the new theme to reside on domain.com and the site that I have now to be moved to membership.domain.com

What you are suggesting is exactly what I had envisioned. What I am toiling with is how to move everything from domain.com to membership.domain.com without any major headaches with databases, photos, etc. I really don't know how to do that without screwing up the paths and winding up with a lot of 404's.

Also, what is the best way, seo wise, to create the membership.domain.com? Use a subdomain or create a new site with my multi site? Or, are they basically the same thing? And, I don't have a clue how to use sub folders if that is an option.

Any suggestions? Details please, I am not an expert.

Thank you so, so much,

JoAnn

• Timothy Bowers

Hey JoAnn

The plugin did not work, maybe because the site is large and uses membership and buddypress?

The last update was from April 2011 so nearly a year since then. It might just not work with recent WP versions or a conflict with another plugin. Its hard to say without looking more into it.

What you are suggesting is exactly what I had envisioned. What I am toiling with is how to move everything from domain.com to membership.domain.com without any major headaches with databases, photos, etc. I really don't know how to do that without screwing up the paths and winding up with a lot of 404's.

Would using the WordPress export and then import feature not be helpful here?

Also, what is the best way, seo wise, to create the membership.domain.com? Use a subdomain or create a new site with my multi site? Or, are they basically the same thing? And, I don't have a clue how to use sub folders if that is an option.

Personally I would use sub-domains. I would also use WP Multisite for this, that way you could log in with one set of details and administer both your maindomain.com and your membership.com.

You could use your maindomain.com for more than just a drop page, you could use e-mail subscribe features, update notifications, etc.

Does this answer your questions? If you have any more then please let me know. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• JoAnn

I have created the membership.domain.com site via my mu mulisite function. Now I need to copy all of the files from the maindomain.com to the membership.domain.com. This includes all of the buddypress topics and comments as well as members, blog, pages, etc.

Import/export does not work. And, I cannot find the membership.maindomain.com files or database.

Where are they located and how do I accomplish making a complete clone in my membership.maindomain.com?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

JoAnn

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again JoAnn

Import/export does not work. And, I cannot find the membership.maindomain.com files or database.

What doesn't work, what happens when you try? What errors are thrown up.

If it doesn't work then you would need to manually move that content unless you threw together a few MySQL statements to handle the move for you, but this would be a custom job if you were unsure how.

I have created the membership.domain.com site via my mu mulisite function. Now I need to copy all of the files from the maindomain.com

As its a multisite, the files are on the server and it doesn't really matter where they are as long as the links to them are relative.

This includes all of the buddypress topics and comments as well as members, blog, pages, etc.

There is an issue here, BuddyPress is designed to be installed only on the main site, it can't be independantly installed on sub websites. You can share the base install on those sites though. So it would be installed on the main site, but you just don't link to it. Then you use a BuddyPress theme on the sub site.

Pop this in your wp-config.php:

define ( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

I suppose as another way to clone your site, you might be able to use our New Blog Template theme. Its not designed for this, but this allows you to create new sites which are templates of other sites, aka duplicates. I suppose it could be used to clone your install to another sub site.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

Let me know how you get on :slight_smile:

• JoAnn

Hi again Timothy,

The import/export did not transfer the buddypress forums and that is my main concern. But, as you say, and I did not know, that buddypress can only be installed on the main site

.I did use the New Blog template and that worked great--it is really slick, but again, the buddypress pages within the membership.maindomain.com automatically linked back to the maindomain.com site.

So, I think what I am going to try now is using the cloned site from the New Blog template, membership.maindomain.com and allow it to link back to the buddypress pages as maindomain.com/forums. As long as I can continue to protect these pages with my membership levels that will work fine. Then I can develop a new theme for the maindomain.com that has no links to buddypress. Actually, the theme I am testing does not support buddypress, so that should not be an issue.

I'll test it and see if it works. It is a work around, but I can't see any issues at this point except that maybe a few savvy members may be freaked by the buddypress pages not having the membership. in the web address.

What are your thoughts?

JoAnn

• Timothy Bowers

Hey JoAnn.

The import/export did not transfer the buddypress forums and that is my main concern. But, as you say, and I did not know, that buddypress can only be installed on the main site

Yup thats right, but if you enable multi blog, then BuddyPress will work on your sub site. It just won't be an independent install.

but again, the buddypress pages within the membership.maindomain.com automatically linked back to the maindomain.com site.

Links entered within posts are almost like hard coded links in php or html (in other words you need to manually change them). The import export won't alter the content posts or pages in case the link is intended.

Let me know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.