Can I Create a New Template for Subscribe By Email?

I'm considering customizing the email template for email subscriptions beyond the options in the plugin.

Can I insert a template from Zurb, or adjust it with HTML Email Templates?

• PC

Hello there jetmac,

Thanks for your post. I hope you are doing well :slight_smile:

You can customize the email template but you will need to modify the core template for that. You can find that in the folder here : subscribe-by-email/inc/mail-templates.

Please note that you will need to keep it update safe as whenever there will be a plugin update, the changes would be wiped off.

But this takes me to a very nice feature request where a user should be able to upload/customize their email templates from the frontend so that we can avoid changing the code.

Let me move this to "Features and Feedback" and see what our lead developer @Ignacio thinks on this.

He should be around soon.

Cheers, PC

• jetmac

Here's the thing, guys, you have some fantastic plugins here -- but you kinda need one that ties them all together. Much like "Ultimate Branding" ties the smaller branding features together.

For those starting to get serious about their communtiies and their continued communication/outreach, it would be awesome to have a real packaged solution that can handle it all.

For example, it would be fantastic if I could route transactional email, subscribe-by-email, AND Automessage through Mandrill or Amazon SES, along with customized templates from HTML Email -- know what I mean? Or, perhaps have enewsletter have an automessage capability (for email "classes" or learning programs). You have all of the tools here -- very good tools, I might add! -- but they are all in separate pieces that don't connect with each other.

I greatly enjoy using these products -- they really do work. Unfortunately, right now I have to do a lot of work-arounds to get them to "really" work.

Currently, I'm experimenting with wpMandrill to route transactional and Automessage, and I created templates for that in Mandrill based on Zurb. Then, I have to create a similar template for that in eNewsletter (not easy, as I have to now program all of the extra fields so they work in the create newsletter interface), and route that through Mandrill via SMTP. This is a significant amount of work. And, even with that, I can't handle auto-delivery of learning modules to those who subscribe to my eMail Newsletter, as eNewsletter can't do that (Automessage can -- but they don't "talk", so frustrating!).

True, I could do all of this through a separate service -- but I don't want to. I want to do it through my own platform, AND I want to add that functionality to my customers. The intent of my site is to provide authors with a COMPLETE solution, not a series of work-around solutions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want this combined email capability.

WPMU has ALL of the tools -- now, to just tie them together...

Thanks for listenting, guys, and I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

• Jonathan

I'd love to see a way for power users to modify the template. I'm not sure how other plugins provide this functionality but it seems like it would be trivial to pull this hard-coded template out of PHP and at least put it into it's own file then wrap the template generation in if( /* I have some override specified */ ) include(override); else include(default);

If these can be stored in the file system then I can work template changes into a code-review process more easily than if it's stored in the database.

I've explained the implications of updating the plugin ourselves and our business partners are okay with using the default template if it's planned for this functionality to appear in the near-ish future.

If this is on the roadmap, is there an ETA?

Thanks!