Can I domain map just one site from a multisite

I have a multi-site network. Each site is its own independent sub-site. But I'd like to aggregate some content from the sub-sites onto another site within the network, and I'd like that aggregated site to be on its own domain. Is that possible? All of the sites will be subsite1.mydomain.com but the aggregate site will be mapped to anotherdomain.com

If so, and the aggregated site contains aggregated excerpts and links to content to sub sites on the network, will all of those links work once it's mapped to another domain.

Lastly, is WPMU's domain mapping plugin the way to go. Will this plugin do everything I'm needing to do here.

Thanks!

• Tom Whittaker

Hi @stevew1000,

First of all am not a staff here, just like to help others in anyway i can.

To answer your question yes, you can have as many mapped domain you wish using the WPMU domain mapping plugin, why i say so, because i have been using it for quite sometime now. you have options to force user to mapped domain instead of sub-domain. so either way, you can login through the sub-site or to the mapped domain, all is done seamlessly, no hassle, and also i have tested it with CloudFront CDN and work perfect.

hope that answer your question.

• Nastia

Hello @stevew1000, I trust you are well today!

Thank you for this question!

As @Thomas, already mentioned it in the above post, you can use Domain Map plugin and map only one site.

If so, and the aggregated site contains aggregated excerpts and links to content to sub sites on the network, will all of those links work once it's mapped to another domain.

The links that point to other subsites in the content, will work just fine :slight_smile:

Please note, that in order to use Domain Mapping plugin, you may need a dedicated IP address. Domains need to be mapped onto a single IP. If you use shared hosting with a dynamic IP address, your IP address will change regularly, meaning there is no single IP address for your domain to be mapped to. Get in touch with your web host to add a dedicated IP address to your account.
    You will find more information about this in the following link:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

You just need a simple mapping for your multisite, and the Domain Mapping plugin covers this feature. It also includes many other features that you may require in the feauture.

If you need any other information, just let us know!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Sajid

Hi @stevew1000

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

It is not complex for someone who have some experience with cPanel and WordPress. But yes, at the same time its not as easy as our other plugins are, it requires more knowledge than a basic WP user.

I guess, the only issue or complexity is configuring the domains on your host and pointing "A" records. If you are not comfortable with these, then you can ask your host to do that for you, its a 10 minutes job for them (if they allows). Everything else is same like other plugins, you have to enable disable options from backend according to your requirements.

If, I did not understand correctly then would you mind letting us know what exactly the issue is.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.