Can I force a new opt-in on a Member Group?

I'm trying to figure out how to verify my "Canadian" members prior to the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation enactment. I'm not sure there is any way for me to grab "all" of them without having every one of my subscribers opt-in again, but I'm first going to try with any address that ends in .ca and then do my best to find sites that use .com, etc. in Canada (I know a number of them off the top of my head!).

So, is there any way for me to force one particular member group to be "unconfirmed" and send them an email requesting that members opt in again? If so, I could put all of the Canadians in one group and send them a message requesting an opt-in.

Any idea how to best handle this?

Thanks

Danita

• Tyler Postle

Hi Danita,

There isn't an option to specifically unconfirm then re-send the confirmation email; however, there may be some alternatives to do what you're wanting.

1. Get them to do a different action then manually delete whoever doesn't do it. For example, maybe reply to the email will be considered the "re-optin" anyone who doesn't reply will be deleted from the list due to the Anti-Spam Legislation enactment or something like that. If you have a lot of Canadian subscribers then this may not be the best solution.

2. Create another email group and setup a page for them to subscribe to again and anyone who wants to can re-subscribe and opt-in.

Hopefully I understood correctly what you were trying to achieve! Let me know if you still need further assistance on this one :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Danita

That works.

I don't think eNewsletter has "rules" does it? For example, some mailing list companies have rules that say "when a member subscribes to list B, unsubscribe the user from list A". That would really make this easy. It would start to empty out my current list as people subscribe to the new list, and I could see who is left when I'm done. I don't anything like that in settings though.

Thanks.

Danita

• Danita

Okay - wait. I did find this, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly:

[enewsletter_subscribe show_name="1" show_groups="0" subscribe_to_groups="17"]

I want users to be subscribed to Group 17. I just tried for me, and I get an error that "This email is already used". Indeed, I'm in other groups, but I need to be able to subscribe users to this new group, even if they belong to other groups. Have I misinterpreted the use of this shortcode?

Thanks.

Danita

• Danita

I have many lists, and most are for my own purposes and should not be seen by either those logged in or not logged in. For example, if a member is a quarterly member, I add them to a quarterly member list for my own tracking. If the member has bought a particular book, I have a list for that as well. So, I do not wish to show a list of available lists, as members of my site will see all of them, whether they are "private" or not. (I had a discussion about this particular issue months ago.)

I need a way for a user to be added to an individual list, without the need to see any of the other lists. So, the shortcode I added above would work fine, except it complains if the user already exists in any other list!

Danita

• Tyler Postle

Hey Danita,

Thanks for explaining your situation there, the context helps a lot when working to find a solution :slight_smile:

Okay, so if you got the "This email is already used" error then that means you likely tried to subscribe without being logged in. If you log in then it should give you the checkbox for that group.

Non-logged in visitors will be able to enter their email providing they aren't signed up as a user to your site already.

I can see this may be an issue for how you are wanting it setup. Have you ever thought about moving your lists to Mailchimp? We have an integration plugin for that as well: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/mailchimp-newsletter-integration/

With Mailchimp you will be able to do exactly what you are wanting to and mailchimp is free up to 2000 emails. Our integration plugin makes it easy to implement on your site too :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Danita

I'm very familiar with MailChimp. My mailing list is over 5000 users. And I use the integration with Membership, so eNewsletter is very useful in that regard.

So, are you saying that there is no way to give a user the opportunity to subscribe to a single email list, without exposing all lists available to the user? I simply want to send an email to my entire list, asking them to "please click here and join this new list". The shortcode I listed does exacly that. But fails if the user is a member of any other existing list. You can see this by going to http://caledonia.net/newsletters - if you subscribe to that list, you will be added to the list I desire. HOWEVER, if you are already a subscriber to any other list, the subscription fails with the error "This email is already subscribed!" or "This email is already used!". It is true that the given email address is already a subscriber of "some" enewsletter group, but not the one I'm attempting to subscribe to. To test this, you could use the widget that says "subscribe to our newsletters" which is still using list 1. Subscribe there with some address, and then attempt to subscribe at http://caledonia.net/newsletters and the subscription will fail. These are two entirely different lists though, and being subscribed to one of them should not cause the second subscription to fail.

That's all I want. A spot to direct people to an entirely new list that will provide for double-opt-in to comply with Canada's new law.

Perhaps @Maniu has some ideas here.

Thanks

Danita

• Tyler Postle

Hey Danita,

So, are you saying that there is no way to give a user the opportunity to subscribe to a single email list, without exposing all lists available to the user?

I also tested it out on my own installation; sure enough, being logged in shows ALL available groups no matter which groups you have the "subscribe_to_group" parameter set too. Even if you set show groups to "0" it will still show all groups. A work-around for that is to hide all the groups that aren't needed on that specific page with CSS. I can help with that if needed :slight_smile:

HOWEVER, if you are already a subscriber to any other list, the subscription fails with the error "This email is already subscribed!" or "This email is already used!".

Once an email is in the system then it can't be entered again, you can only attach certain groups to it. So, instead of having separate lists that people can subscribe to with just their email (like mailchimp) there is really only 1 list of emails but you can categorize them in groups. A registered user can decide which groups they want to be apart of themselves.

I think in this situation, the best option is to setup a page for your users to subscribe to the group you want them too and then hide all other groups with CSS code. You can also use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/eyes-only-user-access-shortcode/ to hide the subscription form from visitors, so only logged in users will try to subscribe to it. This will make it so any registered users won't try to put their email in and will instead log in and see the checkbox for the 1 group you want them to subscribe too.

Here is a sample of CSS code that would be needed to hide groups you don't want logged in members to see:

#e_newsletter_groups_id_2, label[for="e_newsletter_groups_id_2"] {
         display: none;
    }

This would hide the group with ID of "2". I'm more than happy to supply you with the code needed to hide all the groups you don't want the user seeing!

I know this isn't the ideal solution for you, I have flagged @Maniu to see if he has anything to add :slight_smile:The developer's are often busy working on the next update so his response will likely be a bit slower; in the mean time, I'm happy to keep working at this with you. I'm learning a lot about enewsletter myself right now :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again for your patience on this one Danita.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.