Can I have 2 types of users?

Is there a way I can use Membership + BuddyPress to make it so I have 2 types of user accounts? 1 being a basic account (for everybody) and 2 being a premium account (for recruiters). Like if somebody registers looking to be seen they will have their section of the website (the members section) and then the recruiters will be able to sign up and be on their own section to list the recruiters and information about them.

I need to figure out how I can make it 2 separate sections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Membership will allow you to control access to content or features based on level, but it won’t allow you to create the two sections itself.

There are a few ways you could do that really….

BuddyPress would list everyone in the members section. You could have a profile field which determined candidates vs recruiters and then custom code something to only show candidates on the members list.

Or you could use plugins like Directory or Members Directory to provide a mechanism for candidates to list themselves. Note those aren’t BP-compatible though!

Phil

• ThaProspect
    • New Recruit

Ok yea I see what you’re saying. Well I need to figure out how to custom code the “Members” area to only show Members and then somehow have the “College Members” section to only show College Members… I’m trying to think of a way I can do this.

Ok I looked at the Directory plugin and the Members Directory and those are basically what I am looking for. What if I integrated those 2 with Membeship and got rid of BuddyPress. I mean, they do pretty much what I need and BuddyPress doesn’t really apply to the functions I need the site for.

Let me try to explain a little to see if I’m on the right path and show what I am trying to do.

I need it so when 2 types of customers come to the site they get 2 options:

1) Regular customers who want to become Members who will pay the given fee for their account access which gives them access to certain sections of the site that non-members don’t have access to.

2) College Members who have access to their own sections of the site (which I use Membership for) but have the ability to look at regular Members and rate them.

I don’t need all the networking features that BP has but more about features where people can pretty much show off their skills to try to get attention from the College Members. Do you know what I mean? I just need to have 1 section for Members to show off and another for College Members to show off their school for recruits to look into.

Am I on the right path with these plugins?

I just need some guidance because this is all new to me (this site and these amazing plugins).

Thanks!

• ThaProspect
    • New Recruit

Also do I need a multisite? I am not too familiar with how these work and if I would need one but I am reading up on it. I just have 1 site but maybe it would be important for me to have sub sections for the different users? I don’t know just a thought… I need this to be easy for users to go in and choose which category they fall into. Members and College Members.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yep, if you only need the ability to list members it sounds like these two plugins would negate the need for BuddyPress.

You could simply use Membership to control access to the relevant parts of those two plugins to create the two types of member.

You wouldn’t need Multisite for this either, you could simply use single site.

I suggest you think carefully about the experience you want your two types of members to have and that will give you a clearer view of whether these two plugins provide all the functionality you need.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.