Can I have subdomain on another subdomain?

Hello,

1- can I have subdomain on another subdomain?

2- I have one multisite on my domain now I am thinking to create around 30 subdomain on this domain , can I do that and is there anything should I know about?

3- if I have subdomain for example subdomain.mydomain.com , can I create various subdomains on this subdomain for example subdomain.subdomain.mydomian.com or should have new domain for that?

4- what is the maximum number for subdomains on one domain? For example can I have 500,000 domains on one domain?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Fahad,

I hope you're well today and thank you for the question!

1- can I have subdomain on another subdomain?

Sure you can! There's no limit on levels of subdomains in DNS so you may even have sub-sub-subdomain :slight_smile: However, it's quite possible that your hosting provider might have set some limit on this but you will find it only by trying to setup such a sub-subdomain. You can also just ask your hosting provider about it.

2- I have one multisite on my domain now I am thinking to create around 30 subdomain on this domain , can I do that and is there anything should I know about?

You can. From your first question I understand that you're going to setup other multisite installs on those subdomains, am I right? If so, you'll have to be very carefull not to "mess up" those subdomains so there wouldn't be any conflicts. You also may want to take a look here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2

3- if I have subdomain for example subdomain.mydomain.com , can I create various subdomains on this subdomain for example subdomain.subdomain.mydomian.com or should have new domain for that?

You can (see point 1). As I've said, you can create as many domain levels as you wish, unless your hosting provider setup some limits on this.

4- what is the maximum number for subdomains on one domain? For example can I have 500,000 domains on one domain?

According to the DNS (Domain Name System) you can. I'm pretty sure though, that there might be some limits on your hosting provider's site. Also, running so many site would require more than one server and I doubt that any of the popular shared hosting accounts or VPS'es would be capable of running it flawlessly unless you've got a lot of them.

If you have any further question, please ask. I'll be glad to help!

Regards,
    Adam

• Fahad

Thank you for your support and kindness. I am thinking to host with WPENGINE hosting , I will create my main site as multisite on my domain and then I will create around 30 multisites as subdomains but two of these subdomains will have various subdomains on each of them.

Do you suggest anything or even hosting but if you suggest I need hosting professional in WP, I am only work on WP platform.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Fahad,

I hope you're well today!

We're using our dedicated server's and we do not provide hosting services. I think you may want to take a look at this article at our blog on how to choose the best WP hosting:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/arranging-your-web-hosting/

One think I can say right now is that for a network that big you'll most likely need a dedicated hosting solution so you'll probably have to get directly in touch with various WP hosting providers to see if they'd be able to come up with a good offer.

If you have any further questions I'll be glad to ask.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.