Can I have users create their profile first before selecting which plan to subscribe to?

I'm using the free 'Social Login' plugin along with the membership plugin. Because of this, it would be better if I can ask users to create an account first before selecting the subscription plan (rather than vice versa). How can I do this?

If this is not possible, i.e. I have to get users to select the subscription plan first, then use 'Social Login' to create an account, then pay for the subscription -> how do I find out which plan the user selected so that after the user creates an account using social login, the user can be redirected to the appropriate payment page for the subscription level they initially selected (prior to creating an account using social login)?

Please note I'm using buddypress 1.7.1, WP 3.5.1.

Thank you.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

thanks for posting.

unfortunately i'm not sure that's possible with that plugin. i think ultimate facebook will allow it if you force registration but that is only for facebook.

we do have google+ but i am unsure if that would work or not in this case. I will flag the developer for some feedback on this.

hope this helps

thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If this is not possible, i.e. I have to get users to select the subscription plan first, then use 'Social Login' to create an account, then pay for the subscription -> how do I find out which plan the user selected so that after the user creates an account using social login, the user can be redirected to the appropriate payment page for the subscription level they initially selected (prior to creating an account using social login)?

It's in the URL of the page and can be accessed via a $_GET. If you are using the standard registration forms (not pop up) then look at the url of the page and you will see something like:

&subscription=1

• newbie999
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you for the response. Follow-up question: I have to set up the redirect in the settings of 'Social Login' - the URL is where should users will be redirected to after having registered with Social Login on the registration page.

Is there a way I can format the URL so that it will 'get' the plan that the user selected?

Thank you!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Is there a way I can format the URL so that it will 'get' the plan that the user selected?

The easiest way is to walk through the membership plugins registration process on your site, and get the url directly at the point you want them to carry on from.

You can then cut and paste it from the address bar and just change the subscription= number to identify the subscription they picked.

If you want them to go to the page where they select a subscription from the login form, then the page is the standard Membership registration page without any query strings added. The plugin will spot that the user is already logged in and will not display the login / registration page again, instead it will go directly to the payment page.

• newbie999
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I got the URL - domain.com/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=5

I have to provide this URL in my 'Social Login' settings as the URL to redirect to after a user registers using 'Social Login' (instead of manually specifying name, email address, password, etc.).

My question is: this URL has the subscription level hard-coded. How can I modify this URL so that the subscription level can be set to whatever the user selected before he/she registered using 'Social Login'? The selection of the subscription level comes before the registration.

I hope this clarifies my question. Thank you for your time.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Have you tried contacting the author of Social Login and see if they can suggest a way to pass a parameter from your registration form to the redirect? Which if I'm reading correctly is what you are looking to do.

If you simply want a user to be able to select a subscription from the standard membership form and then pay, after logging in with the Social Login plugin, then you can use the url I suggested above:

If you want them to go to the page where they select a subscription from the login form, then the page is the standard Membership registration page without any query strings added. The plugin will spot that the user is already logged in and will not display the login / registration page again, instead it will go directly to the payment page.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.