Can I hide my AWS access key in Snapshot

I provide subscription services to clients, and one I would like to add is WordPress website backup, as many (most?) hosting companies limit the backups they do IF they do any at all.

I would like to use Snapshot and backup to my AWS Glacier account, but have one concern...

When setting up Snapshot on a WP site, when I enter my AWS access key it remains visible rather than becoming a series of dots like a password would.

I realize the client would still not have access to my Secret Key on AWS, but it still compromises the security of my AWS account. Is there a way to not have that access key visible in the dashboard after setting up Snapshot on a client's website?

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Bob, I hope you're well today!

If your clients don't have access to your AWS account then backing up there wouldn't be that useful for them since they won't be able to access the backed-up files anyway.

Would you mind granting us access to your dashboard so that I may see if we can write some custom CSS to take care of this?

To do so, from your dashboard go to WPMUDEV => Support => Support Access and click on the "Grant access" button.

Please note that you must have the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin installed on your site to complete the above process.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Bob
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Ari...WOW!...that was fast!

I'm not concerned with the client not being able to access their backups. If there were a catastrophe...a site hack or server meltdown for example...as part of our service we would restore the client's site for them, so they would not need access to the backups themselves.

I'll grant access to my site where Snapshot is installed, but understand that this is not the site where I need to access key hidden. I need to be able to hide it on new Snapshot installs on client's sites. I'm no programmer, and the mere sight of code makes me break out in cold sweats, but I was thinking some sort of an on/off switch available only to the person setting up the Snapshot?

Anyway...I'll turn access to you on within one minute of clicking "Submit" on this message.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.