Can I install the wpmu-dev-dashboard on a local Vagrant VM?

I have a local Vagrant Ubuntu VM where I'm setting my domain in my MacOS /etc/host, fe: mysite-network.dev and the my staging server mysite-network.com. I've got the wpmu-dev-dashboard running on my .com network but when I try and install locally I get this error:

Installing Plugin from uploaded file: 501996_wpmu-dev-dashboard-4.3.zip
Unpacking the package…

Could not create directory. wpmudev-updates

I'm brand new to WPMU and MultiSite in general, but I've done some WP Dev with Vagrant and VMWare Fusion. I'd like to get the dashboard and/or some plugins running locally and trying to figure it out.

• David Kaplan

[update] GOT IT! I almost got it. I've manually installed the wpmu-dev-dashboard in my plugins directory by move the .zip by hand and unzipping, then I was able to activate through my WP Network on the VM domain. But now when I try and install manually through the dashboard I get a permission error. I've check the permissions, which are set to 755 on the /wp-content/ and folder and enclosed folders.

Any ideas how I might get around this? Can I manually download and unzip a plugin.

Oh sorry I found the link on the page! https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/

• James Morris

Hello David Kaplan,

I hope you are well today.

Many of our Devs use VVV on their local machines for work. So, yes, this should work quite well. If you're not able to install plugins via the WordPress dashboard, it's likely because of file/folder ownership. Yes, you have the permissions 755, but the files are being executed as the owner of the process (apache). So, while you may have chmod 755, if the files/folders are owned by your user account and not the process executing PHP, PHP won't be able to write to those directories.

Also, yes, for our full members you can direct download every plugin on our site from the plugin page.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.