Can I integrate e-newsletter subscribers with users and add fields?

I really like the e-newsletter plugin, and have implemented it on a client's site. My client has additional information though for newsletter subscribers including their physical address and birthday that he will use for marketing. So, two questions...

One, can you add custom fields to newsletter subscribers (address, birthday, etc.), and two, can email subscribers automatically be added as site subscribers/users (though I know this can be done the other way around)?

If the answer to the first question about custom fields is no, it would be important to have the subscribers sync as users so I can use another plugin to add user fields.

Thanks for your help!

• PC

Hello there @labxsolutions

Thanks for posting on the forums.

While the plugin can not add a email subscriber as a site user, you can use something like : http://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-extra-fields/ to add extra fields to a users profile.

However are you looking to use those extra fields in the newsletters ? If yes, can you kindly elaborate what exactly you are looking for so that I can call our lead developer for his suggestions too.

Cheers, PC

• labxsolutions

Sure thing! Thanks for the reply!

I'm essentially looking for a CRM solution that can integrate with the newsletter plugin. I wasn't planning on using the extra fields in the newsletter plugin (though being able to send someone a customized message based on their birthday would be cool!) I was hoping to be able to add extra information about subscribers (i.e. Address, birthday, etc.) without having to add them twice. Currently we are using the e-newsletter sign-up widget so people can add themselves to the newsletter, so if we want to add more information to that person, we'd also have to add them as a user first.

You know, as I write this though, I realize that I could have people register as subscribers on the site and then via the option on the newsletter plugin, have them automatically added as newsletter subscribers! Duh...

So my question now is- if they are automatically added as newsletter subscribers via registering on the site, will they still receive the automated newsletter I set up for new members?

Sometimes I need to tell other people my problem so I can figure out the solution myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, I'd love the ability to use extra fields like birthday, etc. in the newsletter plugin, and have other CRM capabilities.

• PC

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay here. I was not well and away from work for a few days

So my question now is- if they are automatically added as newsletter subscribers via registering on the site, will they still receive the automated newsletter I set up for new members?

Yes, that should work fine for any member that is added to the newsletter list.

But yes, I'd love the ability to use extra fields like birthday, etc. in the newsletter plugin, and have other CRM capabilities.

For this, I am gonna call our lead developer @Maniu for his thoughts on a possibility to see something like that in future or any ideas for now.

Cheers, PC