Can I make a child theme from a main theme that is already customized?

I have two sites, not multisite, and didn't make a child theme when I made them. I want to update the themes but not to lose all the modifications - is there a way to add a child theme now with those settings?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey Ary

Hope all is well with you !

The best way forward is to create a blank child theme and copy over the changes, if the exact changes are hard to identify then at least the files in which the changes are made should be good.

In either case keep a backup handy and then update the parent theme and keep your fingers crossed

Cheers
    Jude

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Ary ,

Hope you're doing well today!

If I understood well your question, you should move to the new child theme the files where you made the changes, to override the original ones from the parent theme that you will install.

In order to help you better, can you give us more information about the changes you made and in which files you did them?

Cheers, Luís

• Ary
    • Flash Drive

Most changes are in the custom TJ css editor but I honestly can't remember which files I made changes in!! Guessing, footer.php, theme...? I followed a video tutorial to make the site - first WP site I have made, hence the problem.
    Thanks
    Ary

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Ary,

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here, but I've run into this issue before and thought the following information might be helpful.

There's a nice plugin called Child Theme Configurator. This plugin will allow you to create a child theme off an existing theme and copy all settings associate with the parent theme over to the child theme. You can also copy various parent theme files over to the child theme so you can further customize them.

In my experience, this works the majority of the time, though nothing can be guaranteed 100%. But, this plugin does not modify your parent theme and is very easy to test out.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.