Course Press Pro right for my site?

I noticed a new WPMUDEV plugin called "Course Press Pro" today, and it seems to apply to my site a bit (or at least, I think so).

The site is online music instruction via recorded video. It will be subscription-based with a monthly fee, so I will NOT be charging by course. Students will sign up for the instrument of their choice, and have access to all lessons on that instrument on our site.

Does the plugin have the option to only allow access to courses for paid subscribers, and separate per subscription type? Or should I just stick to the membership plugin and restrict pages (lessons) to non-users?

I'm looking to keep things clean and organized, as there will be hundreds of music lessons on the site.

Any suggestions are really helpful.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Dustin! How are you today?

I think CoursePress might make your life a LOT easier. I've been playing with it on my own site for a few days, and I'm in love with it. If you're creating courses for your members, I think it might be just what you want.

To keep the courses private for different membership levels will still involve a little work with Membership shortcodes, but the ability to manage your course content will more than make up for those few tweaks.

CoursePress comes with three different options for course enrollment, which would also help you manage who can take what class.

The cherry on top is the organization, I think you'll really like how CoursePress has been designed, a lot of thought went into creating a great user experience for both you, as the site owner, and for the students in your classes.

I'm a little biased, cuz I work here, but I think you'll really, really love this plugin, and it will make what you're doing with your site both easier and more fun for you. : )

Take care!

• Pat

Michelle, I am a new CoursePress Pro user and frankly this is one of the most confusing (simple) plugins I have ever tried to use. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't figure out how to make this thing work right.

I've built many WP sites on many different themes but this one has me scratching my head. I have a WP multisite and i'm using the theme that comes bundled with CoursePress Pro. I have two test courses loaded up and I can't get it to look or operate the way I want or need. I've scoured the internet for some tutorials on this plugin and can't find anything very helpful. Since you use it I'm hoping maybe you can help.

I simply want to provide 10 courses for a school I'm doing soon. I want the courses to be accessible to everyone who is registered. I want them to be taken in a specific order 1 though 10. Seems simple enough but nothing seems to be working correctly. I think it's the virtual page thing that is throwing me??

This type of issues I'm having are things like this:

1 -The courses don't appear on the courses page.

2 - If you log in as a new user, the two test courses I've created appear as available,but after you click on one, and then click the continue learning button, a strange thing happens. If you don't take the course right then, click off it it and come back to it later, there are no buttons available to finish taking the course. All you can see is the course description with no links to continue on to take the course.

I've pulled what little hair I have left out trying to get this to work right with no joy... I've used a course plug in by WooCommerce before called Sensei that was amazingly simple to use. I know this one can't be that hard??

What I'm hoping for is to find the right person in the WPMU world that can help me sort this out. Since you said you use it and love it I thought maybe you could be the one. Any help would be SO appreciated. Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Pat,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I'm guessing all the courses are related then? At the moment there is no way to force taking courses in a specific order; however, I will add that to the feature request list, sounds like it could be a handy feature.

Right now you can force the student to do units in order though, so perhaps it would work for you to setup all the course content in 1 course under multiple units. Each unit can have as many pages as you need.

Then you can force them to do the units in order :slight_smile:

1 -The courses don't appear on the courses page.

Are you using the CoursePress theme? This could be a theme issue, try re-saving your permalinks.

I checked both your registered sites and neither of them seem to have CoursePress active.

2 - If you log in as a new user, the two test courses I've created appear as available,but after you click on one, and then click the continue learning button, a strange thing happens. If you don't take the course right then, click off it it and come back to it later, there are no buttons available to finish taking the course. All you can see is the course description with no links to continue on to take the course.

I'm not getting this same behaviour on my installation. Would you mind creating your own ticket here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question and grant support access :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

This will allow us to follow your ticket more efficiently.

Look forward to hearing from you Pat!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Pat

Tyler,

Thanks for the reply and I hope you had a great Christmas. Another WPMU staff also replied to an earlier support issue and determined that something was wrong with the database that was making this CoursePress installation wonky. Since I had very little time invested in the initial set up I decided to just start over with a new install. It seems to be working better.

I do still think it is strange that I am not able to easily order the courses so I hope you do keep that in the list if things to add in the future.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.